Author Topic: Question about iconographer  (Read 1467 times)

Offline android

Question about iconographer
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
Hi all. There is a woman who writes very beautiful icons and is in my town. I was thinking about commissioning an icon for my new son but wasn't sure if that would be proper since I'm not sure how to vet her as an iconographer if that makes sense. I know if I bought an icon from my church it would be okay/canonical but I'm not sure if this woman is even Orthodox or otherwise "permitted" to write icons. Any thoughts? Other than the obviously RC subjects (Francis, Vincent de Paul) of a few of the examples of her work, the Orthodox icons seem to pass the look test. Thanks.

Here is her website. http://www.theologia-icons.com/

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: Question about iconographer
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »
They look ugly.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »
See here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=41275.0

She is an Episcopalian.  Personally, I'd never buy an "icon" done by a non-Orthodox person.  Besides, I don't find her work appealing in the least.  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:33:23 PM by Ionnis »
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:53:28 PM »
Have to agree with Ionnis.

I would add that I would also not want to patron a person that paints "icons" of non-Orthodox.

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:57:43 PM »
I just did a quick search and this iconographer is also in Charlotte.  http://teofana.mosaicglobe.com 

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »

Also Nicholas Papas
http://www.comeandseeicons.com/papas.htm
Liturgical artist Nicholas Papas is a communicant at St. Michael's Antiochian Orthodox Church in Greensburg, PA.  While studying painting at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Nicholas simultaneously began to learn iconography from his priest, the Reverend John Osacky (now known as Job, Archbishop of the Midwest, O.C.A.).  After receiving his B.A. degree in 1981, he advanced his iconographic skills in Athens, Greece under the tutelage of Nicholas and Basil Lepoura.  Primarily, Nick has continued to hone his skills by working as a full-time iconographer. All the while wonderful iconographers from throughout the world and from many eras have influenced him.  Most are anonymous but two have been particularly strong influences on Nick; Constantine Youssis of New York and Photios Kontaglou of Athens.
      For over twenty-seven years Nicholas has been blessed with opportunities to paint for churches and homes throughout the United States.  It is his prayer that God will use his work in a way that people will learn of the love of God.

His e-mail is:  npstudio@verizon.net

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »
What I saw in the Web site was someone not well trained trying to market her stuff. I don't like it even when Orthodox iconographers market themselves. This stuff, however, needs help iconographically.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 04:15:30 PM »
What I saw in the Web site was someone not well trained trying to market her stuff. I don't like it even when Orthodox iconographers market themselves. This stuff, however, needs help iconographically.

Good point.

Android,
Ask around at church.  Chances are there are iconographers flying under the radar in the parishes in Charlotte.

Offline android

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »
thanks all. i liked the idea of supporting a local iconographer but this person doesn't sound like the best option (or appropriate, in any event).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:30:32 PM by android »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »
If at all possible, it is best to commission icons from someone who is of the Orthodox faith. Having said that, there are a few iconographers who are baptized Orthodox who still get things wrong, and I'm not talking about shortcomings in their artistic technique, but the content of their works.

I completely agree with the objections to using the services of the artist mentioned in the OP. The technical skill is about the same of a senior high school student, but, more importantly, the subjects painted show that the artist does not have a true grasp of what proper iconography is about. Icons aren't simply religious art painted in a distinctive abstracted, non-naturalistic style. Sooner or later, artists of non-Orthodox background who truly grasp what proper iconography is and stands for, and who have sufficient personal and spiritual integrity, have to make the choice: to, at the very least, paint images according to the standard which would allow their work to be blessed on the altar of an Orthodox Church, or, even better, to enter the Orthodox Church themselves. I'm happy to say that I know folks who have done both.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Jason.Wike

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »
Even though there is variation between icons, those done by Orthodox people always seem 'familiar' while when I see one of Christ, for example, by a non-Orthodox it looks like someone else.

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »
thanks all. i liked the idea of supporting a local iconographer but this person doesn't sound like the best option (or appropriate, in any event).

You may wish to ask your priests to see if they could recommend an iconographer.  I believe the man who painted the dome and many of the beautiful icons in your/our church is Orthodox and lives in America.  I know for sure they would not have had this Episcopalian paint the church.  Thank God they didn't!