OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 09:04:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wearing a suit and tie  (Read 6158 times) Average Rating: 0
Jack Bauer

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2011, 02:07:32 AM »

Prostrations are difficult enough without trying to do them in a suit.  Wink

+1
Well, being prior serve, it's nothing for me to drop and give em 20 in my Class As, same with a suit.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 02:56:36 AM »

But I still don't see why dressing in a t-shirt in a jeans should be acceptable if this isn't all you have available.

Perhaps that person struggles with pride, and his/her spiritual father has commanded them to wear jeans to Church rather than dress extravagantly. It is not for us to judge, but rather for God to understand.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2011, 03:29:22 AM »

I've seen a range from casual (jeans and a t shirt) to suit and tie in my church. I've personally worn everything from a tie (I do have a couple of decent looking jackets that were given to me, I still need to have them tailored to fit before I can wear them) to the clothes I wore to work (in a factory) the night before. I wore sandals to my chrismation. My priest does send an email out every spring reminding the parish not too dress too immodestly or too casual (shorts are usually mentioned specifically) and another one around football season asking people not to wear their favorite jersey.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2011, 04:50:41 AM »

But I still don't see why dressing in a t-shirt in a jeans should be acceptable if this isn't all you have available.

Perhaps that person struggles with pride, and his/her spiritual father has commanded them to wear jeans to Church rather than dress extravagantly. It is not for us to judge, but rather for God to understand.
Good point.
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2011, 05:52:43 AM »

St John (Maximovitch) the Wonderworker would not allow anyone serving at the altar to wear a tie because to him it signified a hangman's noose, and symbols of death had no place in the sanctuary (it was also reminiscent of Judas' betrayal). 

IC XC
NI KA
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »

Answer:  A woman wearing her "best", inappropriate for Sunday Best...  Does that ever happen in the Orthodox arena, and how is it handled?
I look the other way.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »

Whether it's at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church or the Greek Orthodox Church we attend here in Mississippi, the Orthodox Church is the only Church where I truly felt accepted regardless of what I wore. Of course, I never entered the Church dressed in an inappropriate manner. My personal opinion is that we should simply dress prepared to pray. Prostrations are difficult enough without trying to do them in a suit.  Wink

Selam

I've certainly never had a problem prostrating in a suit, but, then again, I actually wear clothes that fits me unlike most American men who wear the most ill fitting attire and I'm not talking about it from an aesthetic standpoint, either.  Clothes that fit should not look like their hanging off a man.  Even in cultures where loose fitting garments are the norm, they fit the wearer. 

That being said, I agree with Gebre's sentiment.  One should wear something simple, tasteful, dignified and comfortable.

Coming to church in a hairshirt and robe in the 21st century United States is vanity, too.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »

That being said, I agree with Gebre's sentiment.  One should wear something simple, tasteful, dignified and comfortable.

Coming to church in a hairshirt and robe in the 21st century United States is vanity, too.
Excellent points that I can easily agree with.

In my own parish, men rarely wear jacket and tie. I will occasionally put on a tie with a dress shirt (no jacket) simply because I like the look and am comfortable with it.

Men dress in something better than everyday "work clothes", and generally a bit better than "just going to the mall". Certainly no shorts and flip-flops as I've seen in other places. If it's a Great Feast, funeral, wedding, etc., then it will be stepped up a level or two.

What is important when deciding what to wear is to avoid drawing attention to oneself.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »

I never quite understood the reasoning behind wearing "Sunday best". Does it glorifies God in any way? Not that I know of. It seems more or less to be a bizarre custom our culture has adopted. Not that I wish to condemn people who feel the need to dress that way, I just choose not to. The witness of the saints, monastics, and fools-for-Christ is quite clear - good looks and comely dress have never assisted in salvation.

I don't think it is done for God, I think we do it for our own reasons.   It is just to get the sense that going to Liturgy is doing something different than other things we do.  We prepare for it, we have a special morning routine that includes dressing better than we do for a routine outing.     I do think it depends on location, and local custom.  Around here "Best" (the suit and tie) is for feast days and funerals, but "Sunday better" is  how I would describe dress at a Sunday Liturgy.  A way to  dress a little different than going to work.  It is like fasting before Liturgy, it is not done for God, but for our own reasons.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »

As long as you're covered and it's plain, you're good.

The only thing I wish is that men were better about making an effort to wear long sleeves, or for women long skirts or dresses and head coverings. But I can see if none of the other women cover then that could be a distraction if one woman decided to be the stickler.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »

I'm glad more men don't wear suits to church. Otherwise they would be a distraction.

Tongue

I'm so glad that you said this first! Grin

Guys, just so you know, men generally look mighty fine in a suit!

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »

I never quite understood the reasoning behind wearing "Sunday best". Does it glorifies God in any way? Not that I know of. It seems more or less to be a bizarre custom our culture has adopted. Not that I wish to condemn people who feel the need to dress that way, I just choose not to. The witness of the saints, monastics, and fools-for-Christ is quite clear - good looks and comely dress have never assisted in salvation.

I don't think it is done for God, I think we do it for our own reasons.   It is just to get the sense that going to Liturgy is doing something different than other things we do.  We prepare for it, we have a special morning routine that includes dressing better than we do for a routine outing.     I do think it depends on location, and local custom.  Around here "Best" (the suit and tie) is for feast days and funerals, but "Sunday better" is  how I would describe dress at a Sunday Liturgy.  A way to  dress a little different than going to work.  It is like fasting before Liturgy, it is not done for God, but for our own reasons.

When this topic comes up, a priest that I know always asks, "Think about it. Would you dress up for a job interview? Or a friend's wedding? Or any kind of important occasion?"

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »

I wear a polo and kahkis with nice shoes usually.
I dont have my suit anymore and Im not sure if I would wear it if I did. I kind of look like a Mafia soldier when I do.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »

I think on the flip side of this though, when we DON'T do it, we are NOT doing it for our own reasons, not for God.  Are you not dressing up b/c you have a strict prayer rule against vanity?  Let's be honest...not a lot of people fit into that category. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:47 PM »

The only thing I wish is that men were better about making an effort to wear long sleeves

Forgive my ignorance, but how is wearing a short sleeve shirt (such as a polo shirt, or short-sleeved dress shirt) immodest?

I know that in monasteries men are required to wear long sleeves, but we are not in a monastery.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »

I dont have my suit anymore and Im not sure if I would wear it if I did. I kind of look like a Mafia soldier when I do.

PP

We often hear from the more hyper- amongst us that we should dress simply and avoid bringing attention to ourselves.  The bolded outfit is probably the best way to go (for a man) when really trying to strive to follow the quote from St. Cyril posted earlier in this thread.  It's the most innocuous and plain "dress up" outfit which definitely fits the bill of "simple, tasteful, dignified and comfortable," that I mentioned previously as my rule of the thumb.  If on the cool side of things, long sleeve white or blue button down and/or sweater would also not be out of place.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2011, 01:01:52 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

From my own limited observations, it seems like few Orthodox men wear formal clothing to church. By this I mean a suit and tie. Folks usually wear at least a nice shirt and slacks, but few wear a coat, and even fewer wear a tie. I even remember reading somewhere that it is not traditional For Orthodox men to wear ties because of vanity.

Thoughts?

ALL the babyboomer aged Ethiopian men dress in complete, 3 and even 5 piece suits, and still even on the hottest day of summer also wear their prayer shawls.  However, the younger men do not.  We either rock what I call the "probation officer" look which is a nice dress shirt, no tie, and slacks with wing-tips or other dress shoes.  Then there is also folks like myself who rock the "teacher" look, white khakis and white patterned dress shirts (wearing all white is the ideal in the Church for Liturgy, especially when Communing).  Some folks even come in very casual, but this is less common, however doesn't seem to frowned upon socially.  I would wear a suit but it seems like it may be a bit pretentious considering all the other younger men do not.  I've only been to the Church once in my life in a shirt without a collar, and that was an accident! Further, we usually wear prayer shawls, both men and women, and so this sort of sanctifies what ever we happen to be wearing.  Church clothes are called "yekit lebs" or clothes that are set aside.

Also, here in the US the suit is going out of style, even the president never rocks it anymore! The probation officer look is in, even for job interviews and weddings.  Even when I'd LIKE to wear a suit (and I have several very nice ones hanging in my closet) it always seems that it would be over-dressed these days. When a good friend of mine was going through some Family Court drama, all the folks thought I was his lawyer because my suit was so nice.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:03:35 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 01:24:26 PM »

Also, here in the US the suit is going out of style, even the president never rocks it anymore!

Spend some time walking the streets of NYC, Boston, or DC, and you will see quite the contrary. Speaking from experience of taking the NYC Subway daily, and the DC Metro at times, most men are dressed in suits.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2011, 01:35:30 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Also, here in the US the suit is going out of style, even the president never rocks it anymore!

Spend some time walking the streets of NYC, Boston, or DC, and you will see quite the contrary. Speaking from experience of taking the NYC Subway daily, and the DC Metro at times, most men are dressed in suits.
I stand corrected:)

Let me rephrase that then.. Here on the West Coast the suit is going out of style.  Downtown LA, or in the South Bay, or on the Westside, there are men in suits to be sure, but they are an increasing minority. I ride the Metro so I have a lot of experience in a lot of neighborhoods steadily on foot. I've seen the same kind of vibe in San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, Portland etc etc..

And again, the president doesn't even rock a suit anymore! In fact, he takes his jacket off so often I wonder why he even wears a suit, wouldn't he be better off with probation officer look of a nice dress patterned dress shirt with no tie? The white office shirt without a tie and jacket just looks tacky if you as me, and come on, he is the president!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »

PP

We often hear from the more hyper- amongst us that we should dress simply and avoid bringing attention to ourselves.  The bolded outfit is probably the best way to go (for a man) when really trying to strive to follow the quote from St. Cyril posted earlier in this thread.  It's the most innocuous and plain "dress up" outfit which definitely fits the bill of "simple, tasteful, dignified and comfortable," that I mentioned previously as my rule of the thumb.  If on the cool side of things, long sleeve white or blue button down and/or sweater would also not be out of place.
it also helps that my work is directly across the street from my parish which also has PP wearing a polo and khaki Smiley

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but how is wearing a short sleeve shirt (such as a polo shirt, or short-sleeved dress shirt) immodest?

Because our muscular arms will obviously cause the women to pant with lust.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »

Seriously?  Undecided

You must have a much younger and muscular group of men in your parish than I do in mine.

To find a man under 50 in my parish is a rare occurrence. Never mind one with bulging muscles!  laugh

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »

I live less than a hundred metres from a Church. Sometimes, if wasn't doing too much and I heard the bells ring, I used to get up and head to Church dressed in whatever I happened to be wearing at that moment. I don't do that any more, as the glares of disapproval made doing so too uncomfortable.

Church-going is becoming increasingly upsetting for me these days.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:59:43 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »

Seriously?  Undecided

You must have a much younger and muscular group of men in your parish than I do in mine.

To find a man under 50 in my parish is a rare occurrence. Never mind one with bulging muscles!  laugh

These days, I would be glad to chance upon someone under 40 that hasn't spent the majority of the last few months/years in the gym. Of course, when such people come to Church twice a year, everything is on show. It does happen.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:59:57 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »

I live less than a hundred metres from a Church. Sometimes, if wasn't doing too much and I heard the bells ring, I used to get up and head to Church dressed in whatever I happened to be wearing at that moment. I don't do that any more, as the glares of disapproval made doing so too uncomfortable.

it's too bad that you're getting upset at church.  just keep in mind that it's a hospital.  the people who are there are sick & in need of remedies & cures.  It also helps to get to know some people at the church & become friends with them.  This will in turn help you when you happen to "slip up" with social graces. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »

it's too bad that you're getting upset at church.  just keep in mind that it's a hospital.  the people who are there are sick & in need of remedies & cures.  It also helps to get to know some people at the church & become friends with them.  This will in turn help you when you happen to "slip up" with social graces. 

Thank you for the encouragement, Father.

I know that by getting upset I am engaging in something of an implicit judgment of everyone else, but it's difficult feeling alienated from your own parish.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »

St John (Maximovitch) the Wonderworker would not allow anyone serving at the altar to wear a tie because to him it signified a hangman's noose, and symbols of death had no place in the sanctuary (it was also reminiscent of Judas' betrayal). 

Ha, I was thinking the same thing.  Christ says to take up our crosses and follow him, not our nooses!  Fitting, this coming from St. John the Wonderworker, a saint I pray to more often than most.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:03 PM »

From my own limited observations, it seems like few Orthodox men wear formal clothing to church. By this I mean a suit and tie. Folks usually wear at least a nice shirt and slacks, but few wear a coat, and even fewer wear a tie. I even remember reading somewhere that it is not traditional For Orthodox men to wear ties because of vanity.

Thoughts?

ALL the babyboomer aged Ethiopian men dress in complete, 3 and even 5 piece suits, and still even on the hottest day of summer also wear their prayer shawls.  However, the younger men do not.  We either rock what I call the "probation officer" look which is a nice dress shirt, no tie, and slacks with wing-tips or other dress shoes.  Then there is also folks like myself who rock the "teacher" look, white khakis and white patterned dress shirts (wearing all white is the ideal in the Church for Liturgy, especially when Communing).  Some folks even come in very casual, but this is less common, however doesn't seem to frowned upon socially.  I would wear a suit but it seems like it may be a bit pretentious considering all the other younger men do not.  I've only been to the Church once in my life in a shirt without a collar, and that was an accident! Further, we usually wear prayer shawls, both men and women, and so this sort of sanctifies what ever we happen to be wearing.  Church clothes are called "yekit lebs" or clothes that are set aside.

Also, here in the US the suit is going out of style, even the president never rocks it anymore! The probation officer look is in, even for job interviews and weddings.  Even when I'd LIKE to wear a suit (and I have several very nice ones hanging in my closet) it always seems that it would be over-dressed these days. When a good friend of mine was going through some Family Court drama, all the folks thought I was his lawyer because my suit was so nice.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Use of the term "rock" in the sense of "wear" more than twice in a single post. 20 yard penalty.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »

If I owned a suit jacket, I'd wear it on Sundays.  If I could tie a tie properly, I'd wear it on Sundays.  As I don't own a suit jacket and can't properly tie a tie, I wear a dress shirt and dress pants to Liturgy.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2011, 10:26:46 PM »

If I owned a suit jacket, I'd wear it on Sundays.  If I could tie a tie properly, I'd wear it on Sundays.  As I don't own a suit jacket and can't properly tie a tie, I wear a dress shirt and dress pants to Liturgy.
Try this. http://www.neckties.com/content/howtotieatie.html
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »

I've seen a range from casual (jeans and a t shirt) to suit and tie in my church. I've personally worn everything from a tie (I do have a couple of decent looking jackets that were given to me, I still need to have them tailored to fit before I can wear them) to the clothes I wore to work (in a factory) the night before. I wore sandals to my chrismation. My priest does send an email out every spring reminding the parish not too dress too immodestly or too casual (shorts are usually mentioned specifically) and another one around football season asking people not to wear their favorite jersey.

you're a gem.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »

you're a gem.

You're too kind.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:55 PM »

Well I go to an OCA Parish in the West Coast of the United States, NorCal to be specific. The weather is usually pretty moderate here, some of the older men wear suits, but most people just wear a dress shirt and some slacks. In the summer they'll wear a short-sleeved dress shirt. As for me, I'm 15, I usually just wear one of my four dress shirts, the same pair of black dress pants every Sunday and Vans shoes. If I owned a suit I would wear it to Liturgy, but, I do not.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 04:15:16 AM »

Try this. http://www.neckties.com/content/howtotieatie.html

That site looks like it might actually be useful.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 04:17:00 AM »

Glad I could help.
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2011, 04:45:49 AM »

What would you wear in front of CEO?
What would you wear in front of president of USA?
What would you wear in front of God, Creator of Universe, at Church.

My grandpa's generation, for every man there was the Church suit, the best one available. Usually at the death of the person the Church suit and shoes were donated in the name of departed person, thus moving in after life with the departed person. While I had a dream/vision about after life, everybody was wearing the Sunday suit.

Sunday suit was a great deal. Even seeing and playing near it was kind of forbidden as children as to not damage it. Maybe in back of the mind this was the suit for the after life so it had to be in great shape. You get in after life the shape at the moment of giving. So you don't want in Heaven near angels to get in a suit with a hole.

Visualize this. Location heaven. There is a banquet and God is at the front table. Angels and saints are nearby. Then you make an entrance. What do you want to wear? To make sure you are not in a wrong position, you can donate an extra suit for yourself today. I think Men's warehouse gives and extra suit for free, that can be moved right away in great condition to after life, by donating it right away to a person in need. Also you can donate in the name of relatives, children and such, so they have it in Heaven, even in the name ofanybody you want.

At Holy liturgy God is present, coming to give his beloved people Holy Communion for eternal life. Angels and saints are present too.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:20:28 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »

To all those who don't have a suit or a tie, might I recommend my favorite store: Goodwill...

St. John Chrysostom
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »

LOL. NYC/Boston/DC/LA=USA.  Speaking from the Midwest, in the heartland of fly over country, not so.

The other day I was in the midst of a bunch of lawyers arguing (all but one in suits, and the one non-lawyer had three pinky rings) that Blagojevich was not going to get more than 4/5 years, and I (not in a suit) was saying 14 years.  Guess who was right.

That said, I don't know if the suit is going out of style.  I wear one too.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:15:23 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »

I wear a suit and tie with freshly laundered white shirt ironed by myself. If I did not have plenty of these personal items I would endeavor to wear the best I owned. I am not dressing for myself, my fellow worshipers, or the clergy but in respect.
Over the many years I have noted that my Greek parishes always had a more formal, unwritten, dress code and my Slavic parishes less so. But even in parishes with less formal attire, everyone was dressed to the best they could. And you know what? The priests were just delighted that the temple was full in any tradition.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »

My grandpa's generation, for every man there was the Church suit, the best one available. Usually at the death of the person the Church suit and shoes were donated in the name of departed person, thus moving in after life with the departed person. While I had a dream/vision about after life, everybody was wearing the Sunday suit.

Sunday suit was a great deal. Even seeing and playing near it was kind of forbidden as children as to not damage it. Maybe in back of the mind this was the suit for the after life so it had to be in great shape. You get in after life the shape at the moment of giving. So you don't want in Heaven near angels to get in a suit with a hole.

Visualize this. Location heaven. There is a banquet and God is at the front table. Angels and saints are nearby. Then you make an entrance. What do you want to wear? To make sure you are not in a wrong position, you can donate an extra suit for yourself today. I think Men's warehouse gives and extra suit for free, that can be moved right away in great condition to after life, by donating it right away to a person in need. Also you can donate in the name of relatives, children and such, so they have it in Heaven, even in the name ofanybody you want.

At Holy liturgy God is present, coming to give his beloved people Holy Communion for eternal life. Angels and saints are present too.

This is actually a great point.  Many stores, especially now, offer buy one get one (or, in the case of Jos. A Bank, buy one, get TWO) free offers.  Thanks for bringing this up!

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »

Sometimes we need to be a bit more literal with Scripture. I can't help but think of the literal meaning of the wedding garment parable! One needs to remember where one is when in Church and how to dress. To this day, most of the times I have been to liturgy in ACROD, UOC and OCA in the northeast USA, the 'old fashioned' way of dressing neatly - but not ostentatiously - still prevails. Men with ties, maybe not a suit but a clean sport coat or sweater and women in skirts, some with modest pantsuits.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »

lol, Egyptian mythology is down the hall, pal.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »

I love those hymns.

Almighty President of the Universe, receive our prayers!
Thrice Holy Elected Official of the Heavenly Federation, have mercy on us!

You know, the president of the USA rarely wears suits himself anymore. A good indicator that he won't be let into the Great Dread and Final Inauguration.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »

I don't think its a question of suits and fedoras, but rather one's mindset in terms of how one views oneself in the presence of the Almighty. T-shirts, flip-flops and torn jeans are not usually viewed as appropriate in our society for functions other than everyday, casual activities. But, if that is all one has, than one should not fear worshiping in them.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2011, 05:24:38 PM »

My personal opinion:

We ought to look our best when entering the house of God. Ideally, our outward appearance should be a reflection of our inward disposition. I think this is a very Orthodox idea. Our priests and bishops are vested in precious materials, to be a reflection of the dignity of their office. Our time period is the first in history when we actually prefer to dress down in public. In our parents' and grandparents' day, you wear suits even when leaving the house. I think this went along with the general seriousness they had with life. Our generation does not know what gravitas is. This era has no room for reverence and propriety, which have been set aside for weddings and graduations, etc.. These are the last remaining reminders of an "other world." We Orthodox, and traditional Christians in general, should be the first to correct this aberration in modern society.

Obviously, the poor should not be looked down upon for what they can and cannot afford. But this is something the Church has had to deal with from the very beginning. This ought not be an excuse to come to Church indecently. Notice that the poor still want to wear their best, like the widow who offered her two pennies. An yet we, who can bring ten bags of gold, offer the same two pennies.

The argument that since holy fools and monks dress poorly, we should do the same seems rather absurd to me. We should seek to imitate their humility. Sometimes humility means conforming to propriety. If anyone is inspired to take up the monastic habit, then good for them obviously, but the habit does not the monk make. And over-exaggerated humility is one of the best ways to fall in delusion.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:31:36 PM by samkim » Logged

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: