OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:29:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wearing a suit and tie  (Read 6235 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:29 PM »

From my own limited observations, it seems like few Orthodox men wear formal clothing to church. By this I mean a suit and tie. Folks usually wear at least a nice shirt and slacks, but few wear a coat, and even fewer wear a tie. I even remember reading somewhere that it is not traditional For Orthodox men to wear ties because of vanity.

Thoughts?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »

Speaking only for myself, I dislike wearing suit and tie to Church as it reminds me too much of work. I also feel that suit and tie together connote "commerce", rather than "formality".

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »

I think you should look your best. Whenever we would have liturgies at the seminary there were many guys who would wear cufflinks & ties underneath their cassocks.  Now, were they doing it b/c of "sunday best" or b/c of vanity, that is a personal spiritual issue.  IMO, you should dress your best every sunday.  Is it the end of the world if you don't?  No, but it shows effort, which i'm a big fan of.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »

i see a good representation of suits and ties at my parish. i dont wear one, primarily becuase i dont have one.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »

i see a good representation of suits and ties at my parish. i dont wear one, primarily becuase i dont have one.

I have a total of one suit. I only wear it to Liturgy on Christmas, Pascha, or the other Great Feasts. Other than that it's one of my three dress shirts and a pair of black jeans. That said, if I had the expendable income, I might start wearing suits more often.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »

I think there are multiple factors in play here:

-Geographical area;
-Age of the parishioner;
-Time of year;
-Whether or not a suit is in the parishioner's closet;
-the service itself.

When I was a priest in MS, I never saw a suit during the summer. July/August in MS is unbeleivably warm, even if the air conditioning had not been stolen and was functioning. Suits just were not seen, except for maybe a funeral.

Once fall arrived, older male parishioners would wear suits to the Sunday Liturgy if they had one; dress was more casual if the service was during a weekday or not a Liturgy.

From my colleagues in other parts of the US, suit wearing was more common in MS than other places due to the culture of the area.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »

At the OCA Parish where I was baptized, suit and tie.

At the current Rocor Parish, it is way too hot to wear a suit especially for me due to vesting.

I had to wear a suit this Saturday when we hosted +Metropolitan Hilarion for an ordination. I ripped that sucker off as fast as I could after I handed him the bread and salt.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:53:37 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 09:54:34 PM »

I wear a shirt and tie and a pair of nice slacks because that is how i feel most comfortable, and respectful

SCREW BON JOVI!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »

From my own limited observations, it seems like few Orthodox men wear formal clothing to church. By this I mean a suit and tie. Folks usually wear at least a nice shirt and slacks, but few wear a coat, and even fewer wear a tie. I even remember reading somewhere that it is not traditional For Orthodox men to wear ties because of vanity.

Thoughts?

I live in the North East section of the US, and growing up my father and the other male members of my family always wore a suit and tie. If not a tie, a suit with a nice shirt underneath. This still holds true to this day, and whenever my boyfriend attends Liturgy with me he always wears a shirt and tie, if not a full suit and tie. During the summer months, men will usually switch off to a polo shirt and a nice set of khakis.

As others have said, I think it depends on geography, age, and the economy of the surrounding area of the parish.

I've been to some parishes in well to do areas where everyone was dressed quite prim and proper, and been to other parishes where people were dressed rather casual.

I think you should always wear your "best" for Church, whatever that may be. If your "best" happens to be the only clean pair of jeans you own, then put them on. If you can afford a suit, well put that on.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »

I wear a suit and tie during the winter months, but during the summer it's more "business casual" for me.

I don't understand why people wear jeans  and tennis shoes to church.  That doesn't seem right.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »

When I was a priest in MS, I never saw a suit during the summer. July/August in MS is unbeleivably warm, even if the air conditioning had not been stolen and was functioning. Suits just were not seen, except for maybe a funeral.
As a sometime practitioner of Mississippi Orthodoxy, I wholeheartedly attest to the truthfulness of this, especially the possibility that someone stole the air-conditioner. Churches make excellent targets for copper thieves.

But speaking only of clothes and especially suits, in the summer an older gentleman might wear a seersucker suit, but those men are getting fewer and fewer. Even in the cooler months when jackets come out they will be open and no ties worn. In one rural parish I have attended, it is likely the men will be evenly split between wearing slacks/white shirt and their best pair of Wranglers/work shirt. The jeans will always be the newest, darkest ones with the least amount of wear, though the Skoal ring in the back pocket will obviously stand out. I do not think there is any theology behind this, only practicality -- you wear what you have, and you have what you can afford.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:13:19 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »

As a sometime practitioner of Mississippi Orthodoxy, I wholeheartedly attest to the truthfulness of this, especially the possibility that someone stole the air-conditioner. Churches make excellent targets for copper thieves.

But speaking only of clothes and especially suits, in the summer an older gentleman might wear a seersucker suit, but those men are getting fewer and fewer. Even in the cooler months when jackets come out they will be open and no ties worn. In one rural parish I have attended, it is likely the men will be evenly split between wearing slacks/white shirt and their best pair of Wranglers/work shirt. The jeans will always be the newest, darkest ones with the least amount of wear, though the Skoal ring in the back pocket will obviously stand out. I do not think there is any theology behind this, only practicality -- you wear what you have, and you have what you can afford.

No, I wasn't kidding about the ac being stolen..in two years in MS the ac units got stolen twice.

Nothing like doing a Liturgy with 5 layers of clothing in a day with 99 degrees heat and 90% humidity....

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »

I usually wear jeans to church.  A lot of the men wear jeans, so I don't feel out of place.  There is only one guy at the service I attend who wears a suit and he is a Texan in his 60s. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:41:50 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 10:46:41 PM »

I never quite understood the reasoning behind wearing "Sunday best". Does it glorifies God in any way? Not that I know of. It seems more or less to be a bizarre custom our culture has adopted. Not that I wish to condemn people who feel the need to dress that way, I just choose not to. The witness of the saints, monastics, and fools-for-Christ is quite clear - good looks and comely dress have never assisted in salvation.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:49:20 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »

I never quite understood the reasoning behind wearing "Sunday best". Does it glorifies God in any way? Not that I know of. It seems more or less to be a bizarre custom our culture has adopted. Not that I wish to condemn people who feel the need to dress that way, I just choose not to. The witness of the saints, monastics, and fools-for-Christ is quite clear - good looks and comely dress have never assisted in salvation.

The emperors were saints as well.  just saying. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 10:56:40 PM »

The emperors were saints as well.  just saying. 
Absolutely. I was not condemning anyone for dressing well. It should simply be clear that such customs are not helpful in our salvation. It is simply that - custom.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »

Unless the parish posts a set of guidelines, I guess it's a judgement call. I enjoy wearing a blouse and skirt every week, but that's just me. Most of the people in our church dress what could be called 'business casual.' I have seen a few people come in casual clothes, though, and nobody bothers them. I'm just happy they're here.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »

Thoughts?

I live in the North East section of the US, and growing up my father and the other male members of my family always wore a suit and tie. If not a tie, a suit with a nice shirt underneath. This still holds true to this day, and whenever my boyfriend attends Liturgy with me he always wears a shirt and tie, if not a full suit and tie. During the summer months, men will usually switch off to a polo shirt and a nice set of khakis.

As others have said, I think it depends on geography, age, and the economy of the surrounding area of the parish.

I've been to some parishes in well to do areas where everyone was dressed quite prim and proper, and been to other parishes where people were dressed rather casual.

I think you should always wear your "best" for Church, whatever that may be. If your "best" happens to be the only clean pair of jeans you own, then put them on. If you can afford a suit, well put that on.
The problem with that is, I've known at least one person from the "only clean pair of jeans" set who honestly feels quite looked down upon when the rest of the congregation is suit and tie.

I guess I could just tell him to suck it up, only focus on God, etc. but I'm not sure...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 11:02:23 PM »

In my parish, a lot of the people are from the older generation, and they were probably taught that dressed up is the way you go to Church. If it bothers you, ask someone in the parish staff. Otherwise, it's not the most important thing on the plate.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 11:12:36 PM »

In my parish, a lot of the people are from the older generation, and they were probably taught that dressed up is the way you go to Church. If it bothers you, ask someone in the parish staff. Otherwise, it's not the most important thing on the plate.
Not me, not my parish. Thanks though Smiley
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »

I generally wear a nice shirt and khakis. I could wear a suit, but I'd feel a little pretentious being that formal at 17 years old.  Tongue

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 11:20:23 PM »

Thoughts?

The problem with that is, I've known at least one person from the "only clean pair of jeans" set who honestly feels quite looked down upon when the rest of the congregation is suit and tie.

I guess I could just tell him to suck it up, only focus on God, etc. but I'm not sure...

What I tend to find most often (and I was guilty of this myself, in the past) is that "the only clean pair of jeans" set is most often those who have access to better clothes but specifically dress in a t-shirt and jeans to "make a point". Usually, they go dressed like that in order to be "looked down on" (or in the case of certain non-denoms they just feel out of place while visiting mom and dad's church for Christmas). For me, any feelings of such persecution left when I really did start attending Church in my only clean pair of jeans- my last pair of khaki's headed out the door after a stain remover ended up being the stainer.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 11:23:04 PM »

I wore jeans to church for a while in college. This happened a lot when I lived in a town where we got heavy snow, and frankly, I didn't feel like having my legs freeze before I got to the building.  Smiley

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »

I'm glad more men don't wear suits to church. Otherwise they would be a distraction.

Tongue

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 11:53:53 PM »

My old parish was full of suits.

My new one is far more casual and contains some of the LARPing sort, but primarily from the women.

Edit: I'm fairly formal, but try not to wear anything too flashy.  I don't do the jeans and a t-shirt thing, because I'm not a redneck nondenominational whatever who thinks Jesus is my drinking buddy (I'm with you, FormerReformer).  The judgment that some of those people have for those of us who choose to dress up a bit is remarkable.  It seems a great deal of effort goes into being "properly" attired from the clergy side; the least I can do is look presentable.  For those who can't afford to "dress up," it's a totally different scenario, but some form of slacks and a collared shirt (I always cover my arms) shouldn't be too difficult for most.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:00:09 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 12:00:10 AM »

Funny but people wear thier best to meet earthly "VIPs"; presidents, queens, prime ministers, CEO's etc.
But when you go to spend time with G-d, jeans are ok.

Proverbs 22:7
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »

I remember hearing somewhere, when you go to worship, "you should dress like you're going to see a king."

Because you are.  angel

Golgotha

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 12:17:02 AM »

I've done a bit of traveling and I notice people in the South dress up more for Church. I haven't been to the Northeast but I assume it might be the same. A large chunk of the guys at my parish wear suits and ties. (Some even with cowboy boots) I feel a little out of place wearing slacks and a shirt Tongue
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 12:27:03 AM »

Funny but people wear thier best to meet earthly "VIPs"; presidents, queens, prime ministers, CEO's etc.
The former expect us to be dressed according to worldly customs. For them, it is indeed right and proper. God, on the other hand, only requires we be clothed in the wedding garments of repentance and illumination.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »

The former expect us to be dressed according to worldly customs. For them, it is indeed right and proper. God, on the other hand, only requires we be clothed in the wedding garments of repentance and illumination.
But doesn't the entire Orthodox theology of icons, vestments, altar dressings, etc. imply that God wants the best we can materially offer as well?
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 12:34:11 AM »

And this would be the correct response. We shouldn't be focusing on what others wear to Church; there are beautiful icons all around us, if you want something to look at, look at an icon.  

It angers and annoys me how much time is dedicated to what people are wearing. "Her skirt is too short!" "His arms are showing!" "Why doesn't he have a beard?" "Where is her head covering?"

Stop focusing on others and focus on your own soul and your relationship with God.

Each one of us here is familiar with the social norms, economic challenges, and weather obstacles we must overcome to go to Liturgy at our own particular parish. My advice to anyone would be to do the best with what you've got. If you see others in the parish are dressed more casual, then that's okay. If you see people are dressed more formal, and you can afford to do so, then follow suit. (No pun intended.)

To spend time consuming yourself with worry about what others think of you and such is not only sinful, it will just cause unnecessary anxiety.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 12:38:19 AM »

But doesn't the entire Orthodox theology of icons, vestments, altar dressings, etc. imply that God wants the best we can materially offer as well?

While this is sound reasoning, it's not always possible.

A family may be able to afford fine dresses and suits, but if they have to traverse through snow and cold winds to get to Liturgy, this may not be practical.

This is why it is best not to focus on what others wear, and to only worry about yourself.

You ultimately have to dress in a way that you feel is honoring to God, but isn't giving into pride, vanity, etc.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:38:41 AM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 12:45:33 AM »

While this is sound reasoning, it's not always possible.

A family may be able to afford fine dresses and suits, but if they have to traverse through snow and cold winds to get to Liturgy, this may not be practical.

This is why it is best not to focus on what others wear, and to only worry about yourself.

You ultimately have to dress in a way that you feel is honoring to God, but isn't giving into pride, vanity, etc.
True, but I was responding to IC's assertion that such things are completely irrelevant spiritually. That sounds like the kind of reasoning that leads to the Protestant "four bare walls and a sermon."
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 01:00:35 AM »

I think there is a distinction to be made in liturgy and personal dress. A beautiful liturgy is for the glory of God and to the benefit of the faithful. Wearing pressed pants and a nice coat...not so much.

St. Cyril of Jerusalem : "But let your apparel be plain, not for adornment, but for necessary covering: not to minister to your vanity, but to keep you warm in winter, and to hide the unseemliness of the body: lest under the pretense of hiding the unseemliness, you fall under another kind of unseemliness by your extravagant dress."

Were modern fashion and pleasant dress such a boon to salvation, I sincerely doubt anyone would have worn things like this :

Fine clothing is just like fine tasting food. Not sinful in of itself, but it can be a pitfall for many. The saints have shown time after time that neither are necessary nor are they beneficial in obtaining illumination.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:02:24 AM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 01:06:05 AM »

No one is saying that they are a "boon to salvation," IC. Not even close.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 01:07:12 AM »

And yet by the same quote of St. Cyril, St. Mary of Egypt and the Fools-for-Christ were in violation of his "hide the unseemliness of the body advice." Those saints were by and large special cases so it's kind of pointless to bring them up in a general discussion of dress.

Just like a church can be well decorated for the glory of God, so can the people be well dressed for the glory of God. By the same token, God is also pleased with people who don't have a lot of money and are dressing the best they can and with poor parishes that can only afford a couple of icons. The point is that we make the effort.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:08:16 AM by Volnutt » Logged
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »

No one is saying that they are a "boon to salvation," IC. Not even close.

Go reread the thread.

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »

And yet by the same quote of St. Cyril, St. Mary of Egypt and the Fools-for-Christ were in violation of his "hide the unseemliness of the body advice." Those saints were by and large special cases so it's kind of pointless to bring them up in a general discussion of dress.

Just like a church can be well decorated for the glory of God, so can the people be well dressed for the glory of God. By the same token, God is also pleased with people who don't have a lot of money and are dressing the best they can and with poor parishes who can only afford a couple of icons. The point is that we make the effort.
I don't think the saints are "special cases" (in the since that their examples are removed from the tradition of the Church). They should be sources of inspiration, not simply admiration. Obviously, this must be taken in strides as we are able. Do you find St. Cyril's quote applicable to Orthodox today?

Do you know of any saints/elders/teachers of the Church that encourage fine dress and equate it to beautiful liturgy?

And I will make clear for anyone reading (lest my words be misinterpreted) : I am not condemning fine clothing, only the idea that it is pleasing to God or in anyway beneficial to the salvation of our souls.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:22:24 AM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 01:24:07 AM »

In Spanish, you use the informal second person when talking to God and use the formal second person when talking to presidents, queens, prime ministers, CEOs, etc.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 01:29:43 AM »

Just like a church can be well decorated for the glory of God, so can the people be well dressed for the glory of God. By the same token, God is also pleased with people who don't have a lot of money and are dressing the best they can and with poor parishes who can only afford a couple of icons. The point is that we make the effort.
I don't think the saints are "special cases" (in the since that their examples are removed from the tradition of the Church). They should be sources of inspiration, not simply admiration. Obviously, this must be taken in strides as we are able. Do you find St. Cyril's quote applicable to Orthodox today?

Do you know of any saints/elders/teachers of the Church that encourage fine dress and equate it to beautiful liturgy?

And I will make clear for anyone reading (lest my words be misinterpreted) : I am not condemning fine clothing, only the idea that it is pleasing to God or in anyway beneficial to the salvation of our souls.
Special cases in the sense that not everyone goes walking about naked today. They did it for a specific reason.

And for the rest, you may have a point. But I still don't see why dressing in a t-shirt in a jeans should be acceptable if this isn't all you have available.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 01:30:43 AM »

It is true that many holy fools walked around in rags or even stark naked, but this was an outgrowth of their holiness and their calling to holy foolishness. Not everyone is called to that (in fact it's quite rare), and if one seeks to emulate them in their ascesis, without the accompanying holiness and calling, it is quite possible one is deluded and in fact more arrogant than some uptight man wearing an Armani suit.

You cannot judge a person by what they wear. Someone might wear simple clothes out of sheer pride before men, or someone may wear expensive clothes out of sheer awe before God. It is not for anyone to say.

For myself, I was raised to wear my best when I go to worship God. Not because I think I can impress Him, but because that is what humans do. We give nice things to people we consider important. Yes, it's all nothing but filthy rags before God, but I think it's like a 3-year-old scribbling in crayon for his mother. It's nothing but a mess, but it's beautiful to the mother and child and that's all that really matters.

People dress rather formally at my parish, and it does not necessarily reflect the wealth. I would wear a suit if I could afford one.

So long as we do not cause others to stumble, what we wear is a personal decision. Whatever we offer God with a loving and pure heart is accepted by Him, I believe.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:40:03 AM by bogdan » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 01:42:58 AM »

I think there is a distinction to be made in liturgy and personal dress. A beautiful liturgy is for the glory of God and to the benefit of the faithful. Wearing pressed pants and a nice coat...not so much.

St. Cyril of Jerusalem : "But let your apparel be plain, not for adornment, but for necessary covering: not to minister to your vanity, but to keep you warm in winter, and to hide the unseemliness of the body: lest under the pretense of hiding the unseemliness, you fall under another kind of unseemliness by your extravagant dress."

Were modern fashion and pleasant dress such a boon to salvation, I sincerely doubt anyone would have worn things like this :

The saints have shown time after time that neither are necessary nor are they beneficial in obtaining illumination.
++
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 01:43:24 AM »

Whether it's at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church or the Greek Orthodox Church we attend here in Mississippi, the Orthodox Church is the only Church where I truly felt accepted regardless of what I wore. Of course, I never entered the Church dressed in an inappropriate manner. My personal opinion is that we should simply dress prepared to pray. Prostrations are difficult enough without trying to do them in a suit.  Wink

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 02:03:46 AM »

Prostrations are difficult enough without trying to do them in a suit.  Wink

+1

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Jack Bauer

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2011, 02:06:26 AM »

OCA, GOA, or else, I wear a tie with a suit or nice sport jacket with slacks, all wool and my Johnny Murphy's as a sign of respect for the service I perform.  When I'm not serving, I always dress appropriately nice as a sign of respect towards Christ the King.  I feel so many people will deck out for a date or for a show, but when it comes to presenting oneself to God, they need a little work.  But what's worse than a man not wearing his Sunday Best?  ... Answer:  A woman wearing her "best", inappropriate for Sunday Best...  Does that ever happen in the Orthodox arena, and how is it handled?  I guess our former protestant ways are why we are the way we are.  And we live in Dallas, where heated summers are grueling hot.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: