OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:14:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop of Cyprus and Israeli chief rabbi sign declaration  (Read 549 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »

Archbishop Chryosostomos II of Cyprus and Rabbi Yonah Metzger of Israel held a meeting Tuesday in Nicosia. They signed a declaration which called for stronger bonds between their countries.

From the article:
Chrysostomos said the initiative is aimed at ending any "hostility or suspicion" that had "poisoned" Cypriot-Israeli relations in the past.

Metzger said Cyprus and Israel are partners and share a similar history. He says the declaration can help improve cooperation.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:52:32 PM »

How odd.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »

Good to see some of the civilized people in this region working toward rational relations.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »

How odd.

not odd considering how geographically close they are. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:53:32 PM »

In light of the recent oil discovery, it's not odd at all. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Turkey is occupying Cyprus and threatening with aggressive measures if they continue to drill for oil, so it's only natural for them to side with the other country that has a stake in this. It's even less odd when a right-wing politician like Arch. Chrysostomos is in charge.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »

Good observation Orthodox11.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »

Right, because "chief" Rabbi Yonah Metzger runs Israel.   Roll Eyes

I'm aware of their proximity and pragmatic reasoning for strengthening ties between the nations, but at the very least, an Orthodox Archbishop who wields considerable power and theoretically represents the Orthodox Church, calling for closer ties (the article gave no real information on what that meant) with a representative of a portion of Jews in Israel is a bit odd.  

If Archbishop Chrysostomos II wanted to meet with the P.M. or Foreign Minister (note that he's met with President Medvedev), that would be a different story.  If Christofias wanted to meet? Even more normal.  So were they discussing religion or not?  

Edit to add: Claiming this is odd is not the same as claiming it is unexpected or illogical.  Yet another reason why I dislike mixing of church and state.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:29:47 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags: Cyprus  Israel 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: