OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 05:43:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel like I am denying Christ.  (Read 1398 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: December 05, 2011, 12:14:50 PM »

I love the orthodox faith but I am dealing with a problem. I am affraid to show my faith in public.
Due to the fact that I often defend religion and christianity in general I have not been able to avoid the question I fear most. Are you christian?
I have never said no, but neither have I ever said yes. It always ends up with me trying to change the subject. Until now it is only my nearest family who know that I have attended divine liturgies and I even hide it to them. The sad thing is that it is not because I think I will be persecuted or anything, it is rather the total entrangement of christianity and religion in general which exist in Denmark. Religion is extremly private and danes are not used to people practising faith in public. I fear that it will only become more socially awkward than it is now. It is already seen as weird that I read about religion.
Christ said that he who deny Him before men, He will will deny before the father. I don't wish to do that, in fact, i would love to share the orthodox faith with somebody. I know that most people on this forum comes from countries where religion is still... well... acceptable, but if anybody have had experiences like this, I would like to know.

Thank you.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:33:24 PM »

From your post, it appears that other people are asking you to discuss your faith in public.  They are the ones who have broken the social compact of keeping one's religion in private.  I can understand your reticence to passively broadcast your faith in public (by, say, wearing a huge cross pendant), but you haven't broached the subject: the other has.

Perhaps a reply along the lines of, "Yes, I am a Christian, but I would prefer not to discuss it out in the open.  It's not that I'm ashamed of it, I just really want to answer any questions you have with my full attention."  ?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:06:41 AM »

Same where I come from, so I know the feeling. Just say yes and leave it at that. They'll laugh, but once they see you have no interest in discussing it with them, they won't have an incentive to take it further. If they do decide to press on, just let them know being a Christian does not mean singing cheesy pop song, sending money to televangelist frauds, thinking the earth is 6,000 years old, or singing dry metric hymns with a group of old ladies.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »

I had no idea Christianity was frowned upon in Denmark.

Is it just that folks don't discuss it, or are they basically atheist?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:43:26 AM »

Lord have mercy!

I dont know if it would help you but I have a small copy of Christ the Teacher at my desk at work and in my view so when things come up that would tempt me or cause me to go astray, I just look at it and I often (but unfortunately, not always) am set straight. Dont know if it'll help but......

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:44:40 AM »

While the majority are members of the lutheran church, very few are religious, and most are either atheists or agnostics. It is not like danes are hostile to christianity.Many are just not capable of understanding how anybody could take christianity seriously. Up until 50 years ago christianity was actually pretty visible in Denmark and the christian party was even in the government, but at some point in the sixties and seventies it began to go down hill, probably due to the material growth and effective secularization.  

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »

Interesting.  I had no idea.

I wonder if any Orthodox Churches do missionary work in Denmark?

Seems like a place that might benefit from it.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »

While the majority are members of the lutheran church, very few are religious, and most are either atheists or agnostics. It is not like danes are hostile to christianity.Many are just not capable of understanding how anybody could take christianity seriously. Up until 50 years ago christianity was actually pretty visible in Denmark and the christian party was even in the government, but at some point in the sixties and seventies it began to go down hill, probably due to the material growth and effective secularization.  

so do you have a parish anywhere near you?
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »

There are a number of orthodox parishes around the country. The biggest is the russian orthodox church (ROCOR). Then there are a number of romanian and serbian parishes around the country. I think the romanians are the most widespread. A few years ago, according to a local newspaper, a russian parish was established in a small town in nothern Jutland but they don't have a website and I haven't heard anything about them since. Most parishes are small and use lutheran and catholic churches. Then there is our parish of the Protection of thew Mother of God, which is the only parish in Denmark which uses danish as its liturgical language. A small community of orthodox christians has been established in the town of Aarhus in eastern Jutland and one time each month our priest visits them and serve the divine liturgy. I will be going to liturgy in Aarhus on saturday : )

If you are interested I can give you some links.

The romanian dioce of nothern Europe (In romanian)
  http://www.episcopiascandinavia.se/

The russian orthodox church of St Alexander Nevsky ( In danish and russian)
http://www.ruskirke.dk/dk/dk/HISTORIE.html

Our parish ( In danish but if you press the buttom where there stands 'Om menigheden' you will find a small introduction in different languages including english)
http://ortodoks.dk/

-St Silouan the athonite
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »

It's for the elderly and the simple minded. People don't hate Christianity, they just think it's a joke. To be honest, I don't blame them since all that's on offer is watered-down Lutheranism with no substance and no message, or American style Evangelical fundamentalism, at least in Norway.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »

It's for the elderly and the simple minded. People don't hate Christianity, they just think it's a joke. To be honest, I don't blame them since all that's on offer is watered-down Lutheranism with no substance and no message, or American style Evangelical fundamentalism, at least in Norway.

That's actually quite funny. In Denmark, evangelicals and pentecostals were never able to get a stronghold. Today the biggest protestant denomination next to the lutheran church is the baptist church. Sobasically, we got nothing to offer. I sure hope that orthodoxy will get a little progress. 

-St Silouan the athonite
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 05:48:55 PM »

That's actually quite funny. In Denmark, evangelicals and pentecostals were never able to get a stronghold.

The Pentecostals are generally viewed as a cult in Norway too, and mentioned in the same breath as JWs and Mormons.

However, the charismatic "Jesus freaks" are the only vocal group, other than the State Church which has essentially become secularised, elderly and irrelevant.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

That's actually quite funny. In Denmark, evangelicals and pentecostals were never able to get a stronghold.

The Pentecostals are generally viewed as a cult in Norway too, and mentioned in the same breath as JWs and Mormons.

However, the charismatic "Jesus freaks" are the only vocal group, other than the State Church which has essentially become secularised, elderly and irrelevant.

Yes, we are pretty good at doing that. In DEnmark those people who are not atheists are mostly patheists. They take whatever they like and call their "truth". Very few people can be called christians if you were to look at their personal theology.

-St Silouan the athonite
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 01:55:34 AM »

I love the orthodox faith but I am dealing with a problem. I am affraid to show my faith in public.
Due to the fact that I often defend religion and christianity in general I have not been able to avoid the question I fear most. Are you christian?
I have never said no, but neither have I ever said yes. It always ends up with me trying to change the subject. Until now it is only my nearest family who know that I have attended divine liturgies and I even hide it to them. The sad thing is that it is not because I think I will be persecuted or anything, it is rather the total entrangement of christianity and religion in general which exist in Denmark. Religion is extremly private and danes are not used to people practising faith in public. I fear that it will only become more socially awkward than it is now. It is already seen as weird that I read about religion.
Christ said that he who deny Him before men, He will will deny before the father. I don't wish to do that, in fact, i would love to share the orthodox faith with somebody. I know that most people on this forum comes from countries where religion is still... well... acceptable, but if anybody have had experiences like this, I would like to know.

Thank you.
How would it be received in your country if someone responded "I'm Eastern Orthodox"?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:56:21 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 02:17:57 AM »

Thank you.
How would it be received in your country if someone responded "I'm Eastern Orthodox"?

i would guess this...  Huh
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 10:27:53 AM »

in parts of uk it was the same when i was growing up.
i got actually bullied at school for seriously believing in God (u were supposed to stop believing when u realised there was no 'father Christmas' literally coming down yr chimney. the 2 beliefs were considered basically the same).
i was protestant at the time (there were no orthodox Christians anywhere in the area), and some kids were dragged to church by their parents, but no-one else in  my class seriously believed.

so can i please encourage u to make the step of mentioning it casually in conversation and then accepting the shame people will give u.
it is truly a blessing to suffer for the faith, it makes yr own faith deeper and more meaningful.

one of today's readings from my church may help:
http://www.copticchurch.net/classes/getLectionary.php

Catholic Epistle

Jm 1:1-12
James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,

To the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad:

Greetings.

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation, but the rich in his humiliation, because as a flower of the field he will pass away. For no sooner has the sun risen with a burning heat than it withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beautiful appearance perishes. So the rich man also will fade away in his pursuits.

Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

note that is says : 'testing produces patience' and 'let patience have it's perfect work',
so accepting the scorn of yr mates and then loving them in return and praying and waiting for God to change u actually helps yr spiritual life, gives u joy and makes u more like Jesus.
i know it's hard (it certainly didn't make me any friends at school!) but the more u accept this, the easier it will be to keep admitting yr faith to yr faith to yr friends.
u may even loose some friends, but God knows yr needs more than u do and will supply everything u lack.
Isadore

Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 12:53:42 AM »

I go to art school in a major city so let's just say, I know that feeling Wink

and many people's only real experiences are unmedicated street people shouting about Hell.

I honestly try to avoid that conversation around *very stubborn atheists*

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 03:11:46 AM »

Ansgar, if you honestly feel like you are denying Christ, I would definitely change your responses to where you no longer believe that.

I agree with all points made regarding privacy, tact, hostile environments and such, but your conscious is nudging you on this one.

In my short time as a Christian, I find people are frequently refreshed when I answer that I am an Orthodox Christian but don't burden them with anything else (unless, of course, they inquire).

At least in the states, I feel as if people expect you to automatically launch into poor apologetics or ask them if they are saved.  When you don't, but nevertheless confidently identify yourself, they are pleasantly surprised. 

At the very least, they don't roll their eyes to my face. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 04:10:54 AM »

The situation is pretty much the same in Finland. That's why I used to have the same problem. I didn't want to be seen as awkward Protestant Fundamentalist despite believing in Christ.

For me Orthodoxy has more or less solved the problem. Despite the fact that the Church is fairly small minority in Finland she is still the second national church and she has fairly good reputation so as an Orthodox I can freely admit believing in God etc. without the feeling that I am making myself seen as idiot.

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 04:14:04 AM »

When I was an Evangelical youth I found talking about my faith to others quite difficult, but it was because I was not actually committed to what I was being badly taught. I don't mean that I didn't have faith, but that I was not impressed with what I was supposed to believe.

'Say a short prayer and everything will be alright'.

I can remember sharing this truth with my non-Christian best friend and he just laughed and said it was ridiculous. Not that God was ridiculous, but that the Gospel should be summed up as 'Say a short prayer and everything will be alright'.

Now that I am Orthodox, and have been formally for nearly 18 years and several years as a catechumen before that, I have a faith which has an integrity and comprehensiveness that I can be confident in. This is who I am. This is what I believe.

You might want to rehearse a couple of sentences just answering the question that puts you on the spot.

"I am an Orthodox Christian. I belong to the Church that was established by the Apostles of Jesus Christ and has continued to teach the same spiritual way of life ever since".

If they want a deeper discussion then you have set the basis for it. If they don't then you have explained who you are with confidence and in truth.

God bless you

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 04:21:13 AM »

once the late Archbishop of Shewa Abune Giyorgorios asked few of his students who were being educated in the Church's theology and Tradition by him, hiding from the sight of the communists in Ethiopia, what they did during a one month break from school. so one replied, Abune, I joined the Sunday School and taught, the next one said " Abune, I prepared a new curriculum for the sunday school" the other one said" abune I wrote a new spiritual play, for the drama club in my Sunday School"  another still " abune I did a research on a particular church tradition " one by one they all had a story to tell, except for one, who was busy trying to be invisible. so the Abune turned to him and asked him so what about you ? what did you do ? he bowed his head in shame and said "abune I did not do anything." the abune said "what was one of your day like how did you spend it?" he said "well abune, I rise up early and wear my prayer shawl and go to Church for the morning prayer and the  DL, then I come home and if there isn't anything in particular demanding my time, i spent the day reading books and at night I go to the church for the evening prayer the same way. forgive me abune I have been lazy."  the Abune asked him ' how far is it from your house to the Church" he replied, " an hour's walk'' the abune asked when you went to church did you wear your prayer shawl starting from your house?" the guy said "yes abune" The abune delighted "in that case my child Well done !you are the one who has done the most! as it is hard at this time , for someone your age to wear a prayer shawl  outside the church and wittiness to all those who see him on the streets the Resurrection of our Lord, the call of the Orthodox Church to Worship the Risen Christ, to do that twice a day, is the present day martyrdom that is asked from us all"

people will always have something to say my brother, be it good or bad. however, in each one of our lives we are given an opportunity , an honor indeed, to give wittiness not by preaching words, as important as they are, but by living an openly christian life.
it might cost you friends, but what you gain is worth it, it is what you are created for. if you truly love someone who you know will not be accepted by say for example your parents and relatives, would you continue to to pretend that person means nothing to you? for how long would that go on with out you being forced to choose? how would the loved one feel being constantly hidden away? and if you have to choose, who would it be? would you sacrifice you love and the other person's love just to please your parents and relatives?

I think you have been given a great opportunity for grace of bloodless marytrdom, in a place where Christianity is ridiculed you can help bring the peace of Christ among them because it is what they too are created for. God be with you!

In Christ,
Hiwot.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 04:35:25 AM »

When I was an Evangelical youth I found talking about my faith to others quite difficult, but it was because I was not actually committed to what I was being badly taught. I don't mean that I didn't have faith, but that I was not impressed with what I was supposed to believe.

I can remember sharing this truth with my non-Christian best friend and he just laughed and said it was ridiculous. Not that God was ridiculous, but that the Gospel should be summed up as 'Say a short prayer and everything will be alright'.

Now that I am Orthodox, and have been formally for nearly 18 years and several years as a catechumen before that, I have a faith which has an integrity and comprehensiveness that I can be confident in. This is who I am. This is what I believe.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking but couldn't spell out. I haven't been Orthodox as long as you have but I still have the same experience even after just a little more than two years.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:36:01 AM by Alpo » Logged

Gypsy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Diocese of USA, Canada and Australia

St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »

Hiwot,

I love your story, thanks for posting it!  So beautiful...

Denmark does sound like its gone the way of the UK.  I live in the US but am always shocked when I go back to England to visit my sister, it is very difficult for her to even just say the sort of thing we would naturally say over here in the US.  She is a Baptist Minister and now a Chaplain for a Hospice.  She finds many entryways to talk to suffering relatives of the patients, but she has to do it very carefully, slowly and gently.....

It is worth taking much of the advice given here to think through how you can respond to the opportunity to mention your faith.  Secretly, some of the people will file away your comments because we are all born with the seeking for God, hard wired if you will....you might even say I am Eastern Orthodox, in case your wondering what that is - and then have your quick explanation ready.  You might be surprised at what seeds you plant.

Lord have Mercy on all of us, for we are all to consider these things, in whatever environment we are in.
Blessings to you

Gypsy
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »

Thanks for the replies everybody. I will try puting them into practice.

-St Silouan the athonite
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »

Thank you.
There is nothing wrong with working on practicing Christianity in the closet until you have matured enough to shout it from the rooftops, if called to that.  That is why the Church is a Body, so mouthpieces  Roll Eyes go pick up the job of mouthing off, why others go off and do things like pray.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »

Thank you for saying what I was thinking but couldn't spell out. I haven't been Orthodox as long as you have but I still have the same experience even after just a little more than two years.

Kierkegaard long along diagnosed this malady in Scandinavia with his "Attack on Christianity," e.g. Training in Christianity
http://books.google.com/books?id=nkztQPX-YfkC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

Kierkegaard long along diagnosed this malady in Scandinavia with his "Attack on Christianity," e.g. Training in Christianity
http://books.google.com/books?id=nkztQPX-YfkC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thank you for suggestion. I've been thinking for years that I should read some of his writings and I even recently bought his Seducer's Diary but I've yet to read that or any other books of his.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:58:54 PM by Alpo » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: