OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 12:09:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T.V., Movies, Main Stream Music, Video Games....  (Read 458 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: December 04, 2011, 02:57:08 AM »

It's no secret to any of us that these venues often support and have a lot of content of:

1) Violence - Killing, Assaulting, Murder, Manslaughter, Warfare
2) Sex - Adultery, Homosexuality, Nudity, suggestive attire (non modest)
3) Religious Influences - Embedded religious references to: Atheism, Gnosticism, paganism, and other mystic religions
4) Blasphemy
5) Greed
(I'll just end the list there for simplicity)

Why is it so difficult for us to eradicate these things that we know are bad for us spiritually?
Here is an interested read called "The Invited Guest" http://www.sugardoodle.net/Television/The%20invited%20guest.shtml

Why is it that we bring these things which bring so much corruption of the world into our homes, often at the center of the "living room"?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:46:16 AM »

It's only bad for us spiritually if we let them.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »

Because we're sinners?  Undecided

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 07:55:41 PM »

True.

St. Paul talked about doing the things he didn't want to do. It's hard to not love sin. We have to fight to pull ourselves away from that.
Isadore

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »

Because we like to ridicule these things, be shocked and disgusted by them, be entertained, sometimes live vicariously through them...(ie reality shows about the rich and spoiled...) Luckily it's easy to flip the switch off Smiley

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 09:18:09 PM »

Because we like to ridicule these things, be shocked and disgusted by them, be entertained, sometimes live vicariously through them...(ie reality shows about the rich and spoiled...) Luckily it's easy to flip the switch off Smiley
This describes my approach to the Housewives shows. I used to read and participate on TWOP, too, so I could get my real-life gossip fix about the ladies. It's addicting and a shame, really.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 02:20:25 AM »

I get curious if a bishop or synod will ever fully condemn these things.   There's so few things on these venues that do not "encourage sin" or at least encourage that sin is a normality. 

Does anybody else think that these things are dragging down the moral, spiritual, & family structure of all society and the church?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 02:24:36 AM »

I get curious if a bishop or synod will ever fully condemn these things.
Why should they? Wouldn't that constitute excessive intrusion into the daily lives of the faithful? Wouldn't that show undue lack of trust in the ability of the faithful to discern what's good for them? Why do we need the hierarchy telling us this on something as trivial as what we watch on TV?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 02:30:19 AM »

Does anybody else think that these things are dragging down the moral, spiritual, & family structure of all society and the church?
You know what else drags down the moral and spiritual structure of the Church? Humans. What are we going to do, ban them from going to church?

--
--
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 06:59:53 AM »

Since our eyes are the lamp, do you feel these evil things leave an inscription into our souls even after the switch is off?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 04:26:23 PM »

I get curious if a bishop or synod will ever fully condemn these things.
Why should they? Wouldn't that constitute excessive intrusion into the daily lives of the faithful? Wouldn't that show undue lack of trust in the ability of the faithful to discern what's good for them? Why do we need the hierarchy telling us this on something as trivial as what we watch on TV?

Condemning doesn't entirely mean "banishment".

I wonder if they will condemn the constant "programming" that their FLOCK watches.   The sheep follow the Shepherd.  The faithful do not discern because the faithful are entertained by the sins they witness, and the eye is the lamp of the body.

There are barely any television shows that do not contain at least one thing that I put in the original post.  There's barely any mainstream music that does not contain these things either.

I just wonder if a synod will directly come out against main stream television, music - etc.      Of course these technologies are great for virtuous uses, but we all know that BARELY happens.   I think it would be fair to lump most of it together.....

For example:
24 - contains violence, adultery, murder, cursing a brother
American Idol - contains immodesty, songs with sinful messages, harsh judgmental attitudes, and laughing at other's misfortunes
Friends - made light of adultery, homosexuality, ripped at the solidarity of matrimony, contained no family values
Sienfeld - made light of adultery, homosexuality, contained no family values
Home Improvement - Where was God, church, faith, or prayer emphasized?  Examples of rebellious teens, teen sex
7th Heaven - A Christian family who had teens grow up living adulterous lives

All of these are just a few examples of mainstream television shows through the last 15ish years.  They were filled with messages of sin (some worse than others).  We don't hear about this stuff in Laura Ingalls books... (but sin all through the 70's series)  At one time the world cried out because Elvis shook his hips...  Have morals declined since the inception of television and sin filled musical lyrics on the faithful and society?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: