OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:06:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Special Icon made for a wedding couple  (Read 1722 times) Average Rating: 0
ionus

Faith: Romanian Orthodox Christian

« on: December 02, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »

Hello,
I would like to ask if anyone knows or has heard about the tradition of having a special icon made for a wedding couple that has the saint of each of the betrothed on the same icon. For instance, if a "John" whose patron saint is St.John the Forerunner, were to marry a "Helen", patron saint St.Helen, mother of Constantine, the icon would be made with both saints along side each other. I believe this is the tradition in the Greek Orthodox Church.

Can someone confirm this for me please, and possibly show me where I could find an image of such an icon (not necessarily of the Saints I mention above)?

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:39:41 PM »

I've heard about that custom but do not have any pictures.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »

The common Slavic custom for wedding icons is to have a matched pair of Christ and the Mother of God. The icons are blessed some time before the wedding day, then, the bride takes home the icon of the Mother of God, the groom the one of Christ. Before leaving the house on the day of the wedding, the parent(s), if possible, bless their child with the icon. The icons are brought to the church, and are displayed during the marriage service. At the end of the service, the priest blesses the newlyweds with the icons. The icons are taken home by the couple, and are generally hung as a pair facing each other in a corner of their bedroom.

Icons which feature specific patron saints together are known as "family icons", and can feature anything from a pair of saints, through to any number, reflecting an extended family. There is also the custom of an icon of Christ or the Mother of God, with specific saints in full-stature in the left and right borders of the icon. A child's icon will often bear the child's patron in one border, and a guardian angel in the other.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »

I know of a monastery that makes family icons.  They have a nice website.  I'll post it if interested.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »

I know of a monastery that makes family icons.  They have a nice website.  I'll post it if interested.

I'm interested!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »

I'm aware of this tradition and think it's quite beautiful. I hope to commission such a family icon, including the patron of my to-be wife and myself, and then adding the patrons of our children as they come along.

I'm not sure where to find these online, but I know last year's (2010) St. Tikhon's Seminary Calendar has several icons from "family collections" that include such icons. I have a copy of that calendar, but no scanner to upload the photos. Sad I'll try to track some of those down online and post them here.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »

I'm interested!

St. John Chrysostomos Greek Orthodox Monastery
Quality Handmade Icons and Crafts
http://www.stchrysostomoscrafts.com/familyicons.htm

Personally, I like the first one photographed.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »

Hello,
I would like to ask if anyone knows or has heard about the tradition of having a special icon made for a wedding couple that has the saint of each of the betrothed on the same icon. For instance, if a "John" whose patron saint is St.John the Forerunner, were to marry a "Helen", patron saint St.Helen, mother of Constantine, the icon would be made with both saints along side each other. I believe this is the tradition in the Greek Orthodox Church.

Can someone confirm this for me please, and possibly show me where I could find an image of such an icon (not necessarily of the Saints I mention above)?

I was thinking of this very thing the other day for a gift to a married couple...what an awesome idea!
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »

The common Slavic custom for wedding icons is to have a matched pair of Christ and the Mother of God. The icons are blessed some time before the wedding day, then, the bride takes home the icon of the Mother of God, the groom the one of Christ. Before leaving the house on the day of the wedding, the parent(s), if possible, bless their child with the icon. The icons are brought to the church, and are displayed during the marriage service. At the end of the service, the priest blesses the newlyweds with the icons. The icons are taken home by the couple, and are generally hung as a pair facing each other in a corner of their bedroom.

Icons which feature specific patron saints together are known as "family icons", and can feature anything from a pair of saints, through to any number, reflecting an extended family. There is also the custom of an icon of Christ or the Mother of God, with specific saints in full-stature in the left and right borders of the icon. A child's icon will often bear the child's patron in one border, and a guardian angel in the other.

oh wow! beautiful tradition! thank you for this post dear.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »

Not comfortable with the prominent inscription "God Bless the XXX Family" in the body of the icon. Such a dedication should be unobtrusive, perhaps on a small plaque in the lower border of the icon frame.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 11:50:23 PM »

Not comfortable with the prominent inscription "God Bless the XXX Family" in the body of the icon. Such a dedication should be unobtrusive, perhaps on a small plaque in the lower border of the icon frame.

I agree on that point.  It does seems a little like a "God Bless our home" plaque. 
ionus

Faith: Romanian Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »

Thank you for your responses. I checked out the family icons website, and it was very helpful. I really like the first icon as well. I needed to see an example so I could show it to someone who can hopefully have one hand written for some friends of mine. Thank you very much, and I'm glad some of you got a kick out of this topic.  Smiley 
miaelizabeth

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

xomia_mariaxo
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »

My husband and I recieved a wedding icon as one of our gifts, painted by the iconographer of our parish. Its beauiful and has St. Jason the Apostle and Martyr Maria (my saint is a relatively unknown martyr who died during the sacking of icons) It is one of the most treasured icons in our icon corner Smiley
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »

Here are the icons of a nun who is famous for her beautiful family icons http://www.iconsnunanastasia.com/archive.html I had one written for my priest and a friend of mine had one done for his own family at very inexpensive prices. She also makes different colored chotki to support her hermitage.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »

Wow.  She's very skilled.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
miaelizabeth

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

xomia_mariaxo
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »

Double wow! Those are beautiful!!
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »

I can attest that in person they are even more beautiful and amazing. Her prayer ropes are also beautiful and long lasting, even with daily use and unintentional abuse.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags: icons  marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: