OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:23:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrismation  (Read 571 times) Average Rating: 0
Rdunbar123

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: December 01, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »

I am to be chrismated on December 18. Is it traditional to give a gift or anything to the preist afterward. This may be a stupid question, but I would like to know.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:12 AM »

Many years!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:28:37 AM »

I am to be chrismated on December 18. Is it traditional to give a gift or anything to the preist afterward. This may be a stupid question, but I would like to know.

Congratulations! It is certainly a nice gesture, especially if your parish does not have a fee or suggested donation for the Chrismation service itself. You'd be better off asking someone from your parish if it's expected there, since these things vary from place to place.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »

i don't know about yr church, but in mine it is forbidden to ask fees for any sacramental service.
i didn't give a chrismation gift and my priest is still speaking to me after 3 years, so i don't think it's expected (i am sure one of the aunties would have pointed it out to me).

if u have money, an anonymous offering in the church money box / basket would be nice, this way no-one knows how much / if u gave anything and the glory goes to God.

i suggest u give yr priest the 'gift' of regular attendance, encouraging him and the other church members, working at yr spiritual life and attracting others to the church!
 Wink

and many years! may u know the peace that is beyond understanding and may God be glorified in yr life  Smiley
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »

Congratulations Rdunbar123!  Many years!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 01:41:17 AM »

Congratulations! What's your saint's name?  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 01:49:33 AM »

Congratulations! :-)

As far as giving a gift, you should probably ask your godfather, godmother, or someone else at your parish.  My only real experience has been in the Russian Church and it is common to see laypeople giving priests money after performing a service, although it is never requested.  But a friend of mine, who attends an Antiochian parish, told me his priest becomes indignant when people try to give him money. I don't know if the giving of money is a Slavic thing, a jurisdictional thing, or an individual priest thing.

IMHO, if you can't afford to give him anything then don't feel obligated to, but if you can then do, provided you investigated and found it was appropriate to do so. :-)   
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:51:54 AM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Gypsy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Diocese of USA, Canada and Australia

St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:24:48 AM »

When I was Chrismated I gave a gift but enclosed in a card with a long note to each of my Spiritual Fathers expressing my appreciation, love and thanks for all they had taught me.  The gift is given only if you can afford it and want to.  The expression of your feelings however will always resonate.

Gypsy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: