OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:29:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic Hospital to be Investigated, Argued Fetus not Person  (Read 563 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: January 25, 2013, 12:37:09 AM »

The bishops of Colorado are vowing to undertake a "full review" of the "policies and practices" a Catholic health nonprofit that has argued in medical malpractice lawsuit against it for the death two unborn children that fetuses are not people.

Catholic Health Initiatives, which runs St. Thomas More hospital in Cañon City, Colo., made headlines this week for its surprising line of defense against the lawsuit, which was filed husband of the women who was pregnant with unborn twins and in its care (the woman died with the babies in her womb). Catholic social teaching says that fetuses are people -- the argument is part of the church's strong pro-life and anti-abortion positions.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/catholic-bishops-investigate-hospital-fetus_n_2546353.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:37:40 AM by Nephi » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

I think there is less here than meets the eye.While I have no specific knowledge of Colorado law, I suspect that the use of defense in dispute was based upon plaintiff's failure to state a cause of action regarding the death of the unborn for wrongful death due to malpractice pursuant to either case law or statute from Colorado. The attorneys for the hospitals insurer are obligated to use the law to vigorously  defend the claim or else they would malpractice themselves.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:08 AM »

Actually, the Roman Catholic bishops slapped down this hospital by trying to get out of a wrongful death claim by saying a the unborn child was a fetus and not a person.  Good for them for standing up!

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=16901

“From the moment of conception, human beings are endowed with dignity and with fundamental rights, the most foundational of which is life,” the bishops said a statement. “Catholics and Catholic institutions have the duty to protect and foster human life, and to witness to the dignity of the human person—particularly to the dignity of the unborn. No Catholic institution may legitimately work to undermine fundamental human dignity.”
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:33:56 AM by Adela » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »

I think there is less here than meets the eye.While I have no specific knowledge of Colorado law, I suspect that the use of defense in dispute was based upon plaintiff's failure to state a cause of action regarding the death of the unborn for wrongful death due to malpractice pursuant to either case law or statute from Colorado. The attorneys for the hospitals insurer are obligated to use the law to vigorously  defend the claim or else they would malpractice themselves.
IOW, the defense was a legal fiction, as it were.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
AustralianDiaspora

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »

If the catholics really believed what they were doing was right they would stand by their belief that human life begins at conception, come what may. Between covering up all kinds of child abuse and now this, they have done irreparable damage to themselves as an institution of faith and are losing credibility with the wider community.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:48:13 PM by AustralianDiaspora » Logged

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »

Yes, the hospital is being cheeky by using legal definitions to get out of a lawsuit even though such legal definitions are against the Catholic faith.  However, given that those are the legal definition, what case does the plaintiff have regardless of what the Catholic institution believes?
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »

This one bad apple or apple with bad lawyers aside,

THANK GOD FOR CATHOLIC HOSPITALS!

I will always go to a Catholic hospital over any other type. They care for the unborn, they respect the bodies of the dead, they help rather than hinder devotion and the practice of faith.

And, the last time I went to a Catholic hospital (to help a family regarding a stillborn child), the devoted Catholic social worker told me that the Orthodox Church was okay because the Pope had given it permission to continue operations.  Huh
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:11:29 PM by Fr.Aidan » Logged
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »

And, the last time I went to a Catholic hospital (to help a family regarding a stillborn child), the devoted Catholic social worker told me that the Orthodox Church was okay because the Pope had given it permission to continue operations.  Huh

laugh

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: