OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:38:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get Ready for Group Marriage  (Read 480 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 30, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »

Is the prospect of group marriage far-fetched? Probably not. There are several avenues that could soon lead to legal recognition of unions involving three or more people. The efforts come from the fringes of the left, from the darkest corners of the fundamentalist right, and from the laboratories of fertility clinics and hard scientists around the world.
Meanwhile, scientists in the U.K. have received state permission to create embryos that have the DNA of three persons. It will not be long before group marriage proponents ask: How can children with three legal parents be denied the same marriage rights and protections for their families that children with only two parents have?

There's nothing in the U.S. Constitution prohibiting group marriage, so I can see this coming down the pike. I suspect the Mormons might have an interest, though not as great an interest as they had in 1875, in this issue.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:29:10 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »

It's about time! I've been waiting for this!

Ahem.

Tongue

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »

The Mormon Church will - for the foreseeable future - be publicly opposed to polygamy.  It has, for some time, been trying to convince Christians that it is a Christian group.  Any attempt to aid polygamy will strip it of what acceptance it has received in regards to Christianity.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »

Meanwhile, scientists in the U.K. have received state permission to create embryos that have the DNA of three persons.

I hate the world.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:58:07 PM by William » Logged

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »

The Mormon Church will - for the foreseeable future - be publicly opposed to polygamy.  It has, for some time, been trying to convince Christians that it is a Christian group.  Any attempt to aid polygamy will strip it of what acceptance it has received in regards to Christianity.
Glad you are posting again James. But yes if they haven't already been stripped of their "acceptance into Christianity" by swiss cheese theology then this will be it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »

Glad you are posting again James. But yes if they haven't already been stripped of their "acceptance into Christianity" by swiss cheese theology then this will be it.

I certainly support the comments on their theology, but they are right now making strides in their attempt to be recognized as a legitimate Christian church - unfortunately.  I think that, unless Protestant denominations should begin to be supportive of polygamy, the Mormons (or, rather, the "mainstream" LDS) won't support polygamy in the open, because they know it will obliterate any hope of acceptance as Christians, for at least the next few generations.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »

A few years ago, the gyms started group workouts.  I guess the trend had to lead to group marriage.  Lips Sealed
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 06:59:53 AM »

The subject of polygamy is fascinating to me.  It was practiced by so many Jews, and the scriptures even state the only a Bishop can be the husband of one wife.  I know there are later writings about it, but in the sake of old tradition, it was still around.  This was polygamy in the man marries more than one woman.  Not a polymorus group (more than one man).

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: