OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:36:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Teaching of St. Nicholas  (Read 1992 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: November 29, 2011, 01:31:47 AM »

Help me explain Santa Claus and St. Nicholas and the years I've spent lying to my daughter about it all?

How in the world do I do this?

Thank you for your help.

Grace and Peace!

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:41:37 AM »

There really is a St. Nicholas. He was bishop of Myra, and he was known for his generosity to the poor. He would help people without embarrassing them, by quietly chucking little bags of money through a window. This is how the legend got started that he gave gifts to everyone.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:14:10 AM »

Our parish has a St. Nicholas event for this type of situation. A man in our parish dresses up as St. Nicholas and gives the children gifts from their godparents. So just separate St. Nicholas day from Christmas first. Then work on teaching the reality later.

My kids are the spoil sports, we have never believed in, or attempted to get our kids to believe in Santa. I was never taught to believe in Santa, so I had no inclination to have our kids do so. When you grow up poor, you figure out that all that Santa stuff has to be fake pretty quick Wink

Our kids go to the event, they know the gifts are from us or their godparents, but they aren't allowed to shatter the illusions of other people.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:15:28 AM by Quinault » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 03:18:27 AM »

Your daughter believes St. Nicholas is real.

He is.

There is no problem.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Jack Bauer

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 03:24:21 AM »

I love St. Nicholas' story.  He's a remarkable bishop.  At one point in history, I've read that he may have hit Arinaus in the face.
http://www.stnicholasar.org/stnick.html

Funny thing is that my favorite Saints are those esteemed by the Orthodox as well as Catholics.  Up until 5 years ago I wasn't sure if he even existed.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »

Grace and Peace,

My daughter loves the belief of Chris Kringle and the whole elves making toys in the north pole story. I've told her several times that this is not the 'real' story and that St. Nicholas is a Saint in Heaven and that he inspires the Christmas Season of Giving but she has seen all of the normal Christmas movies and she loves the whole Christmas Season. I've ordered a book about St. Nicholas from Amazon so that she can understand the 'real' St. Nicholas but I don't want to break her heart over the matter.

Has anyone else who has converted had to deal with this?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:59:02 AM »

I love St. Nicholas' story.  He's a remarkable bishop.  At one point in history, I've read that he may have hit Arinaus in the face.

Funny thing is that my favorite Saints are those esteemed by the Orthodox as well as Catholics.  Up until 5 years ago I wasn't sure if he even existed.

As I understood it the Roman Catholic Church, in her 'wisdom', removed St. Nicholas as a Saint in 1970 along with St. Christopher and others. They no longer recognize him as a historical figure.

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 10:36:22 AM »

As I understood it the Roman Catholic Church, in her 'wisdom', removed St. Nicholas as a Saint in 1970 along with St. Christopher and others. They no longer recognize him as a historical figure.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/real-saint/

Since the 1968 revision of the Roman Catholic calendar, some ask if Nicholas is still really regarded as a saint.

It is helpful to remember the Feast of Our Holy Father, Nicholas, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia, the Wonder-worker, is highly ranked and unchanged in Eastern Catholic and Orthodox churches,. Nicholas, Bishop of Myra, is also listed in the Anglican Calendar of Saints and the Lutheran Festivals and Commemorations.

The 1969 Roman Catholic calendar revision did not remove Nicholas when forty saints were taken off. Commemoration of ninety other saints, including Nicholas, was made optional. This means celebration of their feast days is not required for faithful Roman Catholics. Nicholas, with all the saints in this group, is still recognized as a real saint in the Roman Catholic Church. It was even stressed that there is no doubt regarding Nicholas' authenticity.

The calendar reform, with fewer universal feasts, allows more local customs, feasts, and saints to receive special attention, as it relieves the whole Roman-rite church of having to observe saints who do not have local, cultural, or ethnic connection. This calendar reform did not remove St. Nicholas from the roster of saints, only his feast from the universal Roman liturgical calendar. This makes the Feast of St. Nicholas on December 6 optional, not obligatory, under Roman Catholic law.

The Papal Court stated, "Saints who lost their places or whose feast days were demoted from universal to optional [e.g. Nicholas] in the new edition of the liturgical calendar are still to be venerated as they were before the calendar's updating."

So, not to worry. Good Saint Nicholas is properly called a saint and, for all Christians, it is right and good to celebrate his feast day.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 12:17:10 PM »

Since the 1968 revision of the Roman Catholic calendar, some ask if Nicholas is still really regarded as a saint.

It is helpful to remember the Feast of Our Holy Father, Nicholas, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia, the Wonder-worker, is highly ranked and unchanged in Eastern Catholic and Orthodox churches,. Nicholas, Bishop of Myra, is also listed in the Anglican Calendar of Saints and the Lutheran Festivals and Commemorations.

The 1969 Roman Catholic calendar revision did not remove Nicholas when forty saints were taken off. Commemoration of ninety other saints, including Nicholas, was made optional. This means celebration of their feast days is not required for faithful Roman Catholics. Nicholas, with all the saints in this group, is still recognized as a real saint in the Roman Catholic Church. It was even stressed that there is no doubt regarding Nicholas' authenticity.

The calendar reform, with fewer universal feasts, allows more local customs, feasts, and saints to receive special attention, as it relieves the whole Roman-rite church of having to observe saints who do not have local, cultural, or ethnic connection. This calendar reform did not remove St. Nicholas from the roster of saints, only his feast from the universal Roman liturgical calendar. This makes the Feast of St. Nicholas on December 6 optional, not obligatory, under Roman Catholic law.

The Papal Court stated, "Saints who lost their places or whose feast days were demoted from universal to optional [e.g. Nicholas] in the new edition of the liturgical calendar are still to be venerated as they were before the calendar's updating."

So, not to worry. Good Saint Nicholas is properly called a saint and, for all Christians, it is right and good to celebrate his feast day.

Grace and Peace,

I have a Daily Prayer Guide for Catholics and on Dec 6th they venerate the Martyr St. Crispina. No mention of St. Nicholas.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »

Grace and Peace,

I have a Daily Prayer Guide for Catholics and on Dec 6th they venerate the Martyr St. Crispina. No mention of St. Nicholas.

Universalis, the online LoH website, lists Dec 6 as commemorating St. Nicholas, at least on their USA general calendar.

The simpe fact remains that the RCC considers St. Nicholas a saint.  Period.  You can quibble over the fact that it's wrong that he is not on the universal calendar, but it's an outright lie to say that the Vatican does not consider him a saint.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »

Grace and Peace,

My daughter loves the belief of Chris Kringle and the whole elves making toys in the north pole story. I've told her several times that this is not the 'real' story and that St. Nicholas is a Saint in Heaven and that he inspires the Christmas Season of Giving but she has seen all of the normal Christmas movies and she loves the whole Christmas Season. I've ordered a book about St. Nicholas from Amazon so that she can understand the 'real' St. Nicholas but I don't want to break her heart over the matter.

Why can't she believe both?

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »

Grace and Peace,

Surely, you don't think that St. Nick would ever collude with those demonic elf abominations, do you?  laugh

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »

Grace and Peace,

Surely, you don't think that St. Nick would ever collude with those demonic elf abominations, do you?  laugh

If the medieval Ukrainians can think that Christ preached to the dog-headed people, then why not?

IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 08:03:12 PM »

An interesting article on St. Nicholas:

Facts Prove The Existence Of St. Nicholas Of Myra

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/11/facts-prove-existence-of-st-nicholas-of.html
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »

St. Nicholas is a Wonderworker, beloved in many countries. You could tell your daughter about the faith and culture of those countries, such as Russia and Greece.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 07:32:36 PM »

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/11/facts-prove-existence-of-st-nicholas-of.html

"His scientific examination of sources and historical sites disproves the 1970’s action of the Vatican, demoting St. Nicholas as a major saint or characterization as a mythological figure." ~ Interesting... I'm not the only one who thought this.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »

Grace and Peace,

I used to know a RC who grew up celebrating St Nicholas day on Dec 6th. She's only a couple of years younger than I am.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »

Grace and Peace,

If the medieval Ukrainians can think that Christ preached to the dog-headed people, then why not?

What about Christ peaching to the Native Americans?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 10:55:53 PM »

Grace and Peace,

Nice!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 10:59:56 PM »

Grace and Peace,

More evidence from Mel Brooks that Christ came to the Amerindians: (slightly off-color I guess)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsj4s9z-EAE&feature=related

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

The Pointless One !

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 11:30:40 PM »

Revisiting the face of Santa Smiley

http://southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.com/2011/12/revisiting-face-of-santa.html
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 05:20:36 AM »

Grace and Peace,

Those are the most Jewish looking Native Americans I have ever seen!  Grin

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »

"His scientific examination of sources and historical sites disproves the 1970’s action of the Vatican, demoting St. Nicholas as a major saint or characterization as a mythological figure." ~ Interesting... I'm not the only one who thought this.

Tell a lie enough times and people will believe it to be the truth.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: