OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:36:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is this object on the altar called?  (Read 817 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: August 28, 2004, 09:53:16 AM »

There is an object in the middle of the altar and I don't know what it is. In one church, it is shaped like a small temple or other building, with angels inside, surmounted by a cross, and covered with glass. In another, it's more vessel-like, but may again look like a church/temple. What is it?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 09:53:41 AM by erracht » Logged

NULL
Rustaveli
Constant In Opal... Ultramarine

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Eastern Church

Saint Shota Rustaveli

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 10:26:16 AM »

I think that it is a tabernacle (or so this object is commonly known in the Western Church), for reserving the Holy Mysteries or elements of the Eucharist.

At one time I heard that, generally [or at one point in history?], the consecrated Bread and Wine of the Holy Mysteries were usually only kept in the Eastern Church when there will be a Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts - i.e., during Great Lent.

I believe that many Churches have the Mysteries so reserved on the altar, in case the need should arise for communion of the sick - something that probably goes back to quite early in Christian history.

Perhaps some others could shed insight on this...

P.S. - Is this what the object looks like? -

http://www.easternchristian.com/page189.html#306

« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 10:27:15 AM by Rustaveli » Logged
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 10:45:12 AM »

[I think that it is a tabernacle (or so this object is commonly known in the Western Church), for reserving the Holy Mysteries or elements of the Eucharist.]

At one time weren't the Holy Mysteries kept in a replica of a Dove which hung above the Altar.  I think this is still done in some eastern churches.  

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Tags: altar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: