OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 02:30:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joel's Army cult  (Read 1781 times) Average Rating: 0
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« on: November 27, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »

One thing I've noticed that's growing among Pentecostals is the Joel's Army cult. Basically, they believe Joel 2 refers to an end time Christian army that they say is currently on the rise and will take over the world in order to prepare for the return of Jesus. I find it disturbing that a few years ago I went to Thailand as a Protestant and found these people down there among the Thai Christians. They believe that one day they'll be invincible to all harm and will take over the entire world and make the Christians who don't agree with them bow to their will.

We know that their prophecies and interpretations of scripture are wrong. What I think might happen is that the leaders of the movement might call their "soldiers" to action and a lot of bloodshed would happen world wide. Their movement would be shut down and suppressed since they're not actual trained soldiers, but not before plenty of killings would happen. I also think if it happened it could cause a backlash of persecution against Christians worldwide.

And of course there are ecstatic manifestations among them. They regularly practice "slain in the Spirit", jerking around, visions, etc. Here's a good link for more info: http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2008/fall/arming-for-armageddon

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:31:03 PM »

It's really on the rise  Cry I thought it was a fringe thing people like Todd Bentley weren't really involved with. Ya learn something new everyday...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »

After what happened to Todd Bentley before, I'm surprised he's back doing this. I used to listen to his podcasts, just because they were so... there isn't a word for it.  Huh

People thinking they're invincible all too much reminds me of David Koresh and Jim Jones. Uh-oh.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:47:53 PM »

Maybe one nation under Ge'ez too.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »

What does that comment have to do with the subject of this discussion?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:53:28 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:07:58 PM »

After what happened to Todd Bentley before, I'm surprised he's back doing this. I used to listen to his podcasts, just because they were so... there isn't a word for it.  Huh

People thinking they're invincible all too much reminds me of David Koresh and Jim Jones. Uh-oh.

Todd Bentley isn't as prominent anymore but yes he is still working and active. A new guy named Michael Krysty is starting to become more popular and I wonder if he'll turn out the way that Todd Bentley did.

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:13:14 PM »

Lord have mercy.

It's one thing to have strong faith, but extremism always bothers me.  Sad

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:23:36 PM »

Just adding more absurdity to the OP; there really is no limit to how far Protestants are willing to go.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »

Just adding more absurdity to the OP; there really is no limit to how far Protestants are willing to go.
Let's not broad brush here. The vast majority of Protestants wouldn't be caught dead at one of these rallies.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »

No broad brushing required. Protestants are free to abandon Protestant doctrines.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »

No broad brushing required. Protestants are free to abandon Protestant doctrines.
In theory, yes.

But there are a good many who would not in practice (whether from a high view of the Creed/Laurentian Canon or a conviction that things like the Trinity or Sola Fide are confirmed in a spiritual or conscience-based manner that trumps any apparently compelling exegetical reasoning. As Luther once asked, "Am I the only one in the world who is right?").
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »

What do you mean "in theory?"

Protestants, on the whole, have the same Bible but teach a different "truth" about it in each "church". So you have one shepard doesn't agree with the other. So yes Protestants have abadoned Protestant doctrines.

I find it hard to believe Luther asked that question considering "Religion my way" isn't Lutheran.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »

What do you mean "in theory?"

Protestants, on the whole, have the same Bible but teach a different "truth" about it in each "church". So you have one shepard doesn't agree with the other. So yes Protestants have abadoned Protestant doctrines.
Yes, in theory one's one opinion of Scripture can overturn any doctrine no matter how central (Gary DeMar's ongoing flirtation with the hyperpretist heresy is a prime example of such radical "nuda scriptura" in action. But on the ground, there are many Protestants who have a far more nuanced view of sola scriptura than that.
I find it hard to believe Luther asked that question considering "Religion my way" isn't Lutheran.
I'm pretty sure he did, so confident he was in his foundational reading of Romans and Galatians. The "Lutheranism" of Luther varies from issue to issue btw.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:36:39 PM »

Ugh. Todd Bentley... They say he draws crowds of tens of thousands I've NEVER heard anyone around here mention his name, or mentions of his events so I have to wonder - being in the next town over - how 'big' he really is.
wasamwillbe

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »

I have so many great examples I can follow for spiritual guidance, encouragement, humility ,etc  through the Saints, I would not waste my time trying to find something partially truthful this guy might say.  If I have to be discerning he can teach me nothing, I must measure each thought he has as to whether it corresponds with my knowledge of truth, a sure recipe for disaster, sooner or later I will be deceived. 

With the Desert Father's I do not have to be discerning, we are unified with them in One Body, so if I disagree I must change, If I am confused, I have my Preist there to guide me.  Within the One Body I am fed the truth of His Love, outside of it I am one more sheep without a shepherd, and I am just begging to be taken by the wolves,{ and all too often those wolfish apetites that consume us, are our own. }

"We no longer knew whether we were in heaven or on earth,"
wasamwillbe

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »

I have so many great examples I can follow for spiritual guidance, encouragement, humility ,etc  through the Saints, I would not waste my time trying to find something partially truthful this guy might say.  If I have to be discerning he can teach me nothing, I must measure each thought he has as to whether it corresponds with my knowledge of truth, a sure recipe for disaster, sooner or later I will be deceived. 

With the Desert Father's I do not have to be discerning, we are unified with them in One Body, so if I disagree I must change, If I am confused, I have my Preist there to guide me.  Within the One Body I am fed the truth of His Love, outside of it I am one more sheep without a shepherd, and I am just begging to be taken by the wolves,{ and all too often those wolfish apetites that consume us, are our own. }

Wrong thread sorry

"We no longer knew whether we were in heaven or on earth,"
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »

sounds like modern crusaders...i've noticed that certain groups of evangelicals have grown more aggressive over the last couple years...could be a trend.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »

I worry about these people as much as I worry about the Christian Reconstructionists who want to take South Carolina and make it an independent Christian nation... Not at all.

Joel's Army is also known as the New Apostolic Reformation also known as the clowns Rick Perry was mixed up with.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 12:41:17 PM »

I volunteered at a polling place years ago, and some of the Christian Nation folks made it out there as well. They were walking back and forth at the other end of the public office center parking lot, and they carried a flag half the size of a building. It's a white field, with a blue section in the top left corner, and a red cross in the middle of that. Looks somewhat like a Scottish flag, although I like the actual Scottish flag much better. They didn't do anything weird, but that was the hugest flag ever.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »

I volunteered at a polling place years ago, and some of the Christian Nation folks made it out there as well. They were walking back and forth at the other end of the public office center parking lot, and they carried a flag half the size of a building. It's a white field, with a blue section in the top left corner, and a red cross in the middle of that. Looks somewhat like a Scottish flag, although I like the actual Scottish flag much better. They didn't do anything weird, but that was the hugest flag ever.
That's the same flag as was touted as "the Christian flag" when I was growing up. US Pentecostals in general like it.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:49 PM »

I worry about these people as much as I worry about the Christian Reconstructionists who want to take South Carolina and make it an independent Christian nation... Not at all.

Joel's Army is also known as the New Apostolic Reformation also known as the clowns Rick Perry was mixed up with.
I've also seen the term "Manifest Sons of God" touted. Also, they don't account for everyone in the "Latter Rain Movement" but they did grow out of it.
Tags: Joel's Army cults 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: