Author Topic: Prayers for Matthew and Kathryn  (Read 1590 times)

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Prayers for Matthew and Kathryn
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »
It would be easy to tell a very long story here about two people who met in the workplace - both single again - Matthew in his mid-50s and Kathryn somewhat younger (I know better than to ask ;)). Kathryn converted to Orthodoxy 10+ years ago (might have been closer to 20, I just don't know). About three years ago, Matthew joined her at church one Sunday and was immediately drawn to the Orthodox faith. I was honoured to be his sponsor. Matthew and Kathryn married in October 2009. It was a delightful occasion for our parish and the couple's non-Orthodox families.

About a year ago, Matthew was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. As is not unusual, it spread rather quickly to other parts of his body. I received an email from Kathryn this morning that Matthew is back in hospital. He hopes to make it to Christmas, but the doctor doesn't think that to be likely.

Your prayers for the couple will be appreciated. Also do pray for our parish. It will be our third funeral this year - and that's a lot when our usual Sunday attendance is about twenty.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Re: Prayers for Matthew and Kathryn
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »
Lord have mercy.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »
It would be easy to tell a very long story here about two people who met in the workplace - both single again - Matthew in his mid-50s and Kathryn somewhat younger (I know better than to ask ;)). Kathryn converted to Orthodoxy 10+ years ago (might have been closer to 20, I just don't know). About three years ago, Matthew joined her at church one Sunday and was immediately drawn to the Orthodox faith. I was honoured to be his sponsor. Matthew and Kathryn married in October 2009. It was a delightful occasion for our parish and the couple's non-Orthodox families.

About a year ago, Matthew was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. As is not unusual, it spread rather quickly to other parts of his body. I received an email from Kathryn this morning that Matthew is back in hospital. He hopes to make it to Christmas, but the doctor doesn't think that to be likely.

Your prayers for the couple will be appreciated. Also do pray for our parish. It will be our third funeral this year - and that's a lot when our usual Sunday attendance is about twenty.

Lord have mercy!

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
:(

Lord, have mercy!
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 05:24:10 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 05:48:17 PM »
Lord, have mercy on your servants Mathew and Kathryn, as well as their parish.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
Lord have mercy.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »
Lord have mercy!
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »
Oh dear Lord, heart breaking! Most Merciful and Compassionate God, we beseech you that you may grant your faithful servants mercy so if it be Your will ,Matthew can spend one more Christmass with his loving wife Kathryn and for Kathryn that she may be comforted by the gift of the time they have together in this world.that you may bless the time they have left together with shared courage, love and with peace. ease their pain with your presence that transforms all and protect them from the snare of the enemy.that you may have mercy on all their fellow parishioners. Mother of Light, with your motherly intercession come to the aide of Matthew and Kathryn in this hour of their need. Amen.

Lord have mercy!
To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 10:54:38 PM »
Lord have mercy!

Offline wasamwillbe

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
Lord have mercy,
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:29:40 AM by wasamwillbe »
"We no longer knew whether we were in heaven or on earth,"

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »
Lord, have mercy!

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »
Lord have mercy on your servants Matthew and Kathryn!

Offline zekarja

• High Elder
  • O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »
Kyrie, eleison!

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »
Brief update: I had a chance to visit Matthew in hospital today. He was mostly alert, though showing obvious signs of kidney and liver failure. His family were preparing to have a Christmas party later this afternoon. Our priest was just leaving as I had arrived; he had served Communion.

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
That is wonderful that he received communion.  Lord have mercy!

Offline FountainPen

• Is not wasting any more of her ink
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 07:50:10 PM »
Oh dear Lord, heart breaking! Most Merciful and Compassionate God, we beseech you that you may grant your faithful servants mercy so if it be Your will ,Matthew can spend one more Christmass with his loving wife Kathryn and for Kathryn that she may be comforted by the gift of the time they have together in this world.that you may bless the time they have left together with shared courage, love and with peace. ease their pain with your presence that transforms all and protect them from the snare of the enemy.that you may have mercy on all their fellow parishioners. Mother of Light, with your motherly intercession come to the aide of Matthew and Kathryn in this hour of their need. Amen.

Lord have mercy!

Amen
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain