OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 10:30:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers that a parish will be started/family issues  (Read 535 times) Average Rating: 0
fanofu2

Faith: Souther Baptist-wanting to become Orthodox

« on: November 26, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am a 23 year old Southern Baptist. My mother and father are die-hard Southern Baptists and I have become disenchanted with Evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity.  I am very interested in becoming an Orthodox Christian, but the closest parish is far away from me (2 hours). I am also worried that if I convert, it will cause problems with my family.

Also, pray for me that I will gain courage to tell my parents about this decision, and that it won't cause any family problems.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:36:47 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »

Kyrie, eleison!

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am a 23 year old Southern Baptist. My mother and father are die-hard Southern Baptists and I have become disenchanted with Evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity.  I am very interested in becoming an Orthodox Christian, but the closest parish is far away from me (2 hours). I am also worried that if I convert, it will cause problems with my family.

Also, pray for me that I will gain courage to tell my parents about this decision, and that it won't cause any family problems.
I have been there. I am -- more or less -- still there, though I have become an Orthodox Christian in the interim. I will pray for you.

Lord, have mercy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:01:07 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

Lord have mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »

Lord have mercy!

fanofu, I know what it's like to try and get to an Orthodox parish that's far away.  I don't have it quite as bad as you do, seeing as I'm only about an hour and twenty minutes away (each way), but I can certainly sympathize.  I hope that things will go better with your family than you expect they will, once you work up the courage to tell them your thoughts (I know it's by far not an easy thing to do).  As cliched as it is, and as seemingly overly-simplistic as it is, just trust in God.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: