OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 02:59:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Survey: Religious Identity Slips Among U.S. Catholics  (Read 938 times) Average Rating: 0
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« on: November 26, 2011, 04:32:40 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-10-24/catholic-religious-identity-survey/50891152/1?csp=34news
One in four Americans call themselves Catholic, but a survey released Monday finds this is more a cultural brand label for many than a religious identity.

An overwhelming majority, 88%, say "how a person lives is more important than whether he or she is Catholic," according to Catholics in America: Persistence and change in the Catholic landscape. The survey is part of ongoing research by teams of sociologists led by Catholic University sociologist William D'Antonio.

The survey, a comprehensive look at the beliefs and practices of 1,442 U.S. Catholic adults, also finds that 86% say "you can disagree with aspects of church teachings and still remain loyal to the church." Only about 30% support the "teaching authority claimed by the Vatican."
cf. also http://ncronline.org/news/catholics-america/right-and-wrong-who-has-final-say

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:42:26 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »

do we think Orthodox would be any different?
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »

You may have a point, but take cheer: a solid 49% of Orthodox Christians do believe in a personal God http://holycrossoca.org/newslet/0807.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:25:50 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »

You may have a point, but take cheer: a solid 49% of Orthodox Christians do believe in a personal God http://holycrossoca.org/newslet/0807.html

woohoo! Where did i leave my party hats??  Tongue
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:54:29 PM »

American society really is morally sick!

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »

I am tempted to quote Mark Twain's famous qui[ about statistics, but honestly this seems to correspond at least roughly to what I experienced in my own time in the RC. Very sad. I do take solace in the examples of the many wonderful, faithful people that I met during that time, but overall I must say candidly that without a major shift in its manner of approaching and teaching the faith, the RC is doomed to become increasingly irrelevant to the majority of its laity in America.

The Orthodox statistic is also sad. The strong and seemingly growing secularizing forces at work in American society are poison to all believers. I see a lot of questions asked at the Holy Cross page...what do any of you think the answers are or should be?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:17:06 PM »

I would rather have those who believe the Vatican teaches the truth, than those who go to mass just out of rote.  Better those who believe in the Vatican's infallibility than those who believe in their own.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:26:46 PM »

American society really is morally sick!
Chalk that up to moral relativism.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »

The question then is: Why do so many stay when they obviously don't or can't bring themselves to agree with their church? I don't know (I left, after all),  but it'd be interesting to find out what their reasoning is for preferring their own opinions those of their priests and bishops. The article doesn't really explain that, only mentions something about a sense of ownership of the church even if they disagree with most of its doctrine. I suspect if they were to dig a little deeper into the thinking of the respondents, the researchers would find that many who they interviewed were not really Catholic at all in terms of the much-prioritized "formation of conscience" (as they called it when I went through RCIA). Something is failing in the process of religious formation, alright.

I don't understand why religion, particularly in the USA, is looked at in this way. If you bought some consumer item (which I'm afraid is probably the best analogue to the way that many see their religion) and found it disappointing, you likely wouldn't jealously guard it. "It's MY thing! MY thing I dislike!" It makes no sense, I tell ya!

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 08:41:37 PM »

woohoo! Where did i leave my party hats??  Tongue

Silly Stars
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »

The question then is: Why do so many stay when they obviously don't or can't bring themselves to agree with their church? I don't know (I left, after all),  but it'd be interesting to find out what their reasoning is for preferring their own opinions those of their priests and bishops.
One example of such an explanation is offered by former Jesuit seminarian and liberal Roman Catholic Garry Wills. Much like Fr. Hans Kung and other dissenting Roman Catholic writers he employs the same kinds of arguments from historical scholarship that many Orthodox employ against papal infallibility, universal jurisdiction etc. http://www.amazon.com/Why-Am-Catholic-Garry-Wills/dp/0618134298

Quote from: Garry Wills
"Some who have read this book still ask why I am a Catholic. They must have a stereotypical view of what Catholics are, and I do not fit it. But neither do most Catholics. By large majorities they, too, differ from the pope on such things as contraception, married priests, women priests. They do not consider themselves non-Catholics and neither do their priests.

But if I must spell out my loyalties in the most basic terms, I shall. I cannot leave the church because I would consider that a sin - a sin against thhe three theological virtues, a sin against faith, a sin against charity, a sin against hope.

It would be a sin against faith because I would be saying that if the pope is wrong the church is wrong, and I must leave it. But I do  not believe that the pope is the church, I never have, and neither have most Catholics through the ages. Neither did the Second Vatican Council. To act if that were my belief would be a sin against my true belief in the church."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:05:06 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »

Are you kidding me?

Angry

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 01:09:48 AM »

Are you kidding me?

Angry
We shouldn't forget the same poll said 95% believed in God. Anecdotal evidence isn't as "scientific" as a poll, but I will say that aside from one man in my parish who I know currently questions the existence of God the Orthodox Christians I know and worship with don't seem to fit this bill -certainly not to the point of one out of two of all of them disbelieving in a personal God! -perhaps someone else has a different experience? Anecdotes aside, it seems to me on the face of it that Fr. Stephen's comment in the cited link has genuine merit:

Quote from: Fr. Stephen
Someone raised the very real possibility that the actual phrase "personal God," would not be understood by many Orthodox Christians. In the minds of many, according to this response, this phrase could mean that "God and Truth is whatever I as an individual determine it to be (implying that the Church is not the authority) which is a Protestant concept." He further stated that "I suspect that many older ethnic Orthodox (my grandparents for example) would not understand what that means." The legitimacy of such a response was demonstrated when someone approached me yesterday and expressed confusion over this term "personal God," interpreting it in a manner very close to the one I just shared with everyone.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:14:22 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »

Of course its entirely possible for someone to be a member of the Orthodox Church and not believe a word they are saying or hear at Church. Maybe some people are bound by family obligations, etc. and thats the only reason they are a member. I do think that a good portion of the 51% is due to ignorance of the faith though, as odd as it may sound. I think the best thing we can do is continue to increase parishioner education and awareness of the faith and conduct liturgies in languages that are commonly understood, and make people accountable for showing up! (call people, checking in with them, etc.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:45:04 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 12:33:03 AM »

Oh another one of these "doom and gloom" surveys that seek to, time and again prove to us how bad, lazy, and irreligious the ordinary U.S. Catholic is.  I don't buy into them for a minute.  A lot are just propaganda and sensationalism that try and trash the RCC and weaken her position on the national stage.

Even if a person could conclusively prove that their is truth to these polls, how could they then prove that this is some type of recent phenomena among Catholic Americans?  I remember reading surveys and speculations from the 19Th century which claimed that not only less then half of U.S. RC's attended Mass on a regular basis, but that millions had also defected the ranks of the Church into Protestantism or religion.  There is no evidence that modern American Catholics are any better or worse for that matter then their predecessors were.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 01:57:40 AM »

A lot are just propaganda and sensationalism that try and trash the RCC and weaken her position on the national stage.
It hardly seems credible to suggest the National Catholic Reporter articles linked above, or Catholic University under whose auspices the poll was conducted, or the Roman Catholic sociologist William D'Antonio who conducted the poll (and has conducted similar polls for years) are part of some kind of anti-Catholic propaganda conspiracy.

Respectfully, I see no evidential basis to doubt the academic integrity or professionalism of the poll in your post.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 02:02:49 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 02:43:26 AM »

I would rather have those who believe the Vatican teaches the truth, than those who go to mass just out of rote.  Better those who believe in the Vatican's infallibility than those who believe in their own.

Hear, Hear!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: