OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:11:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contemporary Christian Music  (Read 684 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: August 27, 2004, 07:02:21 PM »

Ive recently been getting into some contemporary Christian music, to replace all the old "hip hop and rnb" cd's that i once held onto so tightly in my youth. Being 19, and growing up in this culture, i need something that refelects this day and age. I love the traditional orthodox hymns and liturgies, but in this day and age we are confronted with issues that we may never openly talk about, or issues that we are unconscious of, and need it explicated to us so that we may be reminded about who we are and why we're here. Ive been deeply immersed in the music of a certain artist: Nichole Nordeman. Her lyrics are so deep, meaningful, and sung with such an emotional, honest, and humble voice, that it has really impacted alot on how i think about my life and God...

Id like to point out a few songs and give a little commentary for each one.

*Nichole Nordeman - Tremble*:

The purpose of this song is to remind us of God's transcendence. "Christ came and chose to wear the skin of all of us, And it's easy to forget You left a throne". Often in our daily and religious lives, although we acknowledge Gods presence, and go to church etc. we sometimes lose site of the fact He is not only lover of mankind, and best friend, but He is King, Creator and Sovereign.

*Nichole Nordeman - To say Thanks*

This song is about those hard times in our life...the uniqueness about this song...is that despite all the hardships she describes, her sole complaint is selfless...and that is it makes it "harder to say Thanks".
She explicates a feeling i think everyone gets every now and then..."And I could not pretend to know the difference
Between the storms You send and those I find"

*Nichole Nordeman - Help Me Believe*

This song is one of my favourites...and without it, i dont know where i would be. Its about the simplicyt of our faith...and how sometimes it gets lost in rationale and systematic thinking...the song voices the yearning of a soul to simply touch an angels wing, when science, logic, and rationale are all trying to destroy the childlike simplicity that Christ Himself pointed to, as the model of one who will be greatest in the Kingdom.

"Help me believe
'Cause I don't want to miss any miracles
Maybe I'd see much better by closing my eyes
And I would shed this grownup skin I'm in
To touch an angel's wing
And I would be free
Help me believe"

"When mustard seeds made mountains move
A burning bush that spoke for You was good enough
When manna fell from heavens high
Just because You told the sky to open up

Am I too wise to recognise that everything uncertain
Is certainly a possibility?
When logic fails my reasoning
And science crushes underneath
The weight of all that is unseen"

Peace

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: