Author Topic: liturgy  (Read 1425 times)

Offline henrikhankhagnell

liturgy
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:19:09 PM »
I've attended a Catholic Melkite Divine Liturgy. How does this Liturgy differ from the Othodox Divine Liturgy?
searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...

Offline WetCatechumen

• Roman Catholic
  • Elder
Re: liturgy
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »
I've attended a Catholic Melkite Divine Liturgy. How does this Liturgy differ from the Othodox Divine Liturgy?
The acknowledge the Pope and pray for him.

That's pretty much it.
"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence

Offline username!

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
Different calender, different saints in some instances, so the troparion and kontakion would be different for any given day from the Antiochian Orthodox.  my one friend was Melkite and is now Antiochian.  He said the major difference is the translation of the liturgy. He says the Melkites use an easier to sing and understand English version whereas the Antiochians still use some archaic english versions.

Offline username!

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:03:11 PM »
Also the Antiochians use bread and wine and a spoon for Communion and the Melkites intinct, that is they dip the bread in the wine and then put it into your mouth,

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:39:25 AM »
He said the major difference is the translation of the liturgy. He says the Melkites use an easier to sing and understand English version whereas the Antiochians still use some archaic english versions.
don't Melkites use mostly Arabic?
Also the Antiochians use bread and wine and a spoon for Communion and the Melkites intinct, that is they dip the bread in the wine and then put it into your mouth,
when I attended Divine Liturgy they used the same bread as the Roman Catholics.

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Latin Church
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Any idea why the method of distributing the Holy Eucharist changed within the Melkite Catholic Church? They do still use leavened bread like the rest of the Byzantine rite Churches, correct?

Offline username!

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »
No, I was torn between whether they used leavened or the communion wafer.  I couldn't remember, but I was corrected, dah, it is the communion wafer they dip in the wine at communion.
Also, well, I guess the amount of arabic used in Melkite or Antiochian churches depends on the parish, the priest, etc... They both use English and Arabic depending on the parish.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
Melkites do not use unleavened bread, Maronites do.  Melkites use leavened bread cut into rectangular strips rather than cubes to facilitate intinction by hand rather than by spoon.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 06:04:47 PM »
Any idea why the method of distributing the Holy Eucharist changed within the Melkite Catholic Church? They do still use leavened bread like the rest of the Byzantine rite Churches, correct?
The dipping was introduced by in the 1800's from the Vatican, IIRC, to increase communion.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline username!

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »
Melkites do not use unleavened bread, Maronites do.  Melkites use leavened bread cut into rectangular strips rather than cubes to facilitate intinction by hand rather than by spoon.

So my original thought about that was right it is leavened bread.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
Maybe there a different Melkites who use different kinds of bread