OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:13:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christians protecting Muslims in Tahrir  (Read 865 times) Average Rating: 0
Golgotha

« on: November 21, 2011, 11:02:36 PM »

Interesting picture today. Christians linked their arms to protect Muslims from the mob while they pray.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »

Interesting picture today. Christians linked their arms to protect Muslims from the mob while they pray.
Hopefully it is remembered.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:47:22 PM »

pft!

De ja vu...Copts participate in protests to become one with the Egyptian people, and when it's all over, Copts become ostracized from the Egyptian people as whiners.

Bull!

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:26:24 AM »

Here's an article by Prof. Robert Srebrnik. Different place, but still pretty interesting.

As Syria edges ever closer to civil war, Christians could well find themselves on the losing side. And should the regime fall, Syria might witness a bloodbath far worse than what we saw in Libya.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:27:01 AM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:31:30 AM »

Here's an article by Prof. Robert Srebrnik. Different place, but still pretty interesting.

As Syria edges ever closer to civil war, Christians could well find themselves on the losing side. And should the regime fall, Syria might witness a bloodbath far worse than what we saw in Libya.

Lord, have mercy! 

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »

Hopefully they are not doing it to so that is "remembered".

This is Christianity. Photo of the day. If only I could have such faith and love under those circumstances.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »

pft!

De ja vu...Copts participate in protests to become one with the Egyptian people, and when it's all over, Copts become ostracized from the Egyptian people as whiners.

Bull!

The more and more and I hear about Copts, the more I am humbled and my heart breaks for them.

But if you are saying their acts of Christian charity and sacrifice which I find to be imponderable are just political gambits . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »

I just hope these Muslims will protects these brothers in Christ when the torches and pitchforks come 'round.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »

Lord, have mercy on Your faithful in Egypt and throughout the region.

Really quite an emotional photo. I can't quite say what I want to about it. God bless them.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »

Hopefully they are not doing it to so that is "remembered".

This is Christianity. Photo of the day. If only I could have such faith and love under those circumstances.
I can guarentee they are not doing it to be remembered.  Nonetheless, it would be nice if it was remembered by others besides the Lord.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »

pft!

Bull!

The more and more and I hear about Copts, the more I am humbled and my heart breaks for them.

But if you are saying their acts of Christian charity and sacrifice which I find to be imponderable are just political gambits . . .
No one is saying that.  We are just pointing out the ingratitude that is usually heaped on the Copts.  Just calling a spade a spade.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »

This event has struck me profoundly. Quintessentially Christian these people are. I can only wish I would have the fortitude and faith to act the same. Moreover, yesterday a good Muslim friend of mine at work (yes, I do have Muslim friends) asked me to pray for his country. I was both surprised and humbled by his simple request.
If I were an "Evangelical" I probably would say something along the lines that I felt 'convicted" as the fleeting uncomfortableness ran through my consciousness to my shame.

Lord have mercy.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »

I would like to add, if I may, to our litany here a prayer for the welfare of the Greek (Chalcedonian) Orthodox Christians and Jews of Egypt (those left of them, anyway), who are also not having the best of times.

Lord, have mercy.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 06:06:25 AM »

pft!

Bull!

You misunderstand my frustration.  Of course, I agree with their actions, but it's always forgotten.  And more than anything, while it is Christian charity, they're also doing it because they do believe as Egyptians, they're protecting their own brothers in nationality despite their religious differences.  It adds to my frustration even more when you find that Copts try to show they love their country even more than them.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 06:35:42 AM »

As my Coptic friend observed tonight over dinner: "We (Egyptians) never knew this word 'religion' until the Muslims came. There were the Christians following Jesus and the Jews following Moses. It was the Muslims who created this idea of religious differences. Before we were Egyptians living in our land and worshiping, but when the Muslims came they used 'religion' to destroy us and take over."

I don't know how true this is (there were pagans too, right?), but it did remind me of the story of the Desert Father (I can't remember which) who was questioned by some pagans and told them that tomorrow they would see a great witness of God's power, and then on that day the pagan emperor died. Those same pagans then fled to their idol in great anger, asking it "if you did not favor him (the emperor), then why did you accept his offerings?!"

Would that it were that today's Muslims in Egypt would be so open to see the great presence of God in their Coptic brothers and sisters despite the difference in religion (as the pagans above obviously saw that the Christian was right, even if it did not cause them to abandon their idol). As usual, I am pessimistic to men but hopeful to God. So I trust that the Coptic people will be greatly rewarded when and where it matters, even if this action will be forgotten the next time some loudmouth imam decides the cross is an affront to his myopic view of Egypt and religion. May God also show such people the way to true repentance and love of all as equal sons and daughters of God.

And may God protect the holy Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria. It is a great light to all the world. (And I thought that even from far away, so I'm only semi-biased!)

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: