OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:39:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History Questions  (Read 590 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: November 21, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »

I had a few questions about our doctrine and history. I'm currently a catechumate. How does our attitude and art style toward icons differ compared to the Roman Church of the West? Also, did iconography play a part in the schism? How? And lastly, I was amazed when someone at my Parish told me that St. Paul established the Greek Orthodox Church when he wrote all of those epistles to the random Greek districts in the New Testament? Is this true? If so, I am really amazed. And lastly, did St. Peter really establish a Church in Rome or did he just die there?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »

I had a few questions about our doctrine and history. I'm currently a catechumate. How does our attitude and art style toward icons differ compared to the Roman Church of the West?
Since the renaissance, the West has gone for an element of realism (i.e. trying to aim for a photographic representation of reality, rather than how it is viewed with the eyes of the Church) and emotionalism mostly absent (or borrowed) in the East.

Also, did iconography play a part in the schism?
somewhat:the iconoclast emperors tried to limit the authority of the pope of Rome (e.g. transferred the Balkans from the jurisdiction of Rome to Constantinople's), and the Frankish/Germanic emperors were iconoclastic (mostly from faulty translations of the Seventh Council) and tried to use that as an excuse to undermine opposition to the filioque.

How? And lastly, I was amazed when someone at my Parish told me that St. Paul established the Greek Orthodox Church when he wrote all of those epistles to the random Greek districts in the New Testament? Is this true? If so, I am really amazed.

Those Churches mostly still survive, and they are Greek Orthodox (or Arab Orthodox in some areas), Rome being the big exception.

And lastly, did St. Peter really establish a Church in Rome or did he just die there?
He supposedly consecrated the first bishop of Rome, Linus, and the third, St. Clement, was his disciple.  St. Paul also preached at Rome (and it seems made it to Spain).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:57:09 AM »

Regarding the Orthodox Church's Teaching About the Apostolic Foundation of the Early Churches

It's our tradition that teaches that St. Paul founded the Church of Greece, not the Greek Orthodox Church, which is the Eastern Orthodox Christian Church, founded by Jesus Christ.  I think St. Paul's speaking outside of the synagogue, to the public at the Areopagos or Mars Hill (See Acts of the Apostles 16), is the essential basis to the claim.   Our tradition also teaches that the Church of Rome was founded by St. Peter.  While there were Christian communites (followers of Christ) in these areas prior to the arrival of St. Paul and St. Peter respectively, it seems the church's teaching is that their preaching and efforts brought a more permanent foundation and organization to these churches.

The Church teaches that all the Ancient Patriarchates were founded by Apostles, St. James the Brother of the Lord, the Church of Jerusalem; St. Mark, the Church of Alexandria; St. Peter, the Church of Antioch--before he traveled to Rome, by the way, (some give St. Paul equal credit for the founding of Antioch).  The Church of Cyprus was founded by St. Barnabas, who was a follower of St. Paul's, if I'm not mistaken.   For that matter, the Church of Constantinople, at the time a fishing village known as Byzantium, was founded by St. Andrew the First Called Apostle, and brother of St. Peter, but he left St. Stachys the Apostle to organize the Church of Byzantium.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:57:27 AM »

And lastly, I was amazed when someone at my Parish told me that St. Paul established the Greek Orthodox Church when he wrote all of those epistles to the random Greek districts in the New Testament? Is this true?

He didn't establish the churches in Greece by writing letters, but by going there with traveling companions (like Barnabas and Luke for example) and preaching, baptizing, and ordaining elders and bishops. He wrote the letters after he established the churches.

And lastly, did St. Peter really establish a Church in Rome or did he just die there?

He preached and labored everywhere he went. He is traditionally credited as establishing the church in Rome, along with a lot of other places like Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost, Antioch, and he went along with St John to confirm the Samaritans who had been baptized by the deacons.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »

Regarding the Orthodox Church's Teaching About the Apostolic Foundation of the Early Churches

It's our tradition that teaches that St. Paul founded the Church of Greece, not the Greek Orthodox Church, which is the Eastern Orthodox Christian Church, founded by Jesus Christ.  I think St. Paul's speaking outside of the synagogue, to the public at the Areopagos or Mars Hill (See Acts of the Apostles 16), is the essential basis to the claim.   Our tradition also teaches that the Church of Rome was founded by St. Peter.  While there were Christian communites (followers of Christ) in these areas prior to the arrival of St. Paul and St. Peter respectively, it seems the church's teaching is that their preaching and efforts brought a more permanent foundation and organization to these churches.

The Church teaches that all the Ancient Patriarchates were founded by Apostles, St. James the Brother of the Lord, the Church of Jerusalem; St. Mark, the Church of Alexandria; St. Peter, the Church of Antioch--before he traveled to Rome, by the way, (some give St. Paul equal credit for the founding of Antioch).  The Church of Cyprus was founded by St. Barnabas, who was a follower of St. Paul's, if I'm not mistaken.   For that matter, the Church of Constantinople, at the time a fishing village known as Byzantium, was founded by St. Andrew the First Called Apostle, and brother of St. Peter, but he left St. Stachys the Apostle to organize the Church of Byzantium.
Byzantium was more than a fishing village: it was a city that would withstand a seige by the Roman Empire a little over a century later for three years (193-6).  Trade was its main industry, and controlling the route between the Mediterranean and Black Seas.  I mention that only because of the widespread attempt to discredit the tradition of St. Andrew's visit, despite his travels around the Black Sea being widely accepted.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »

As always, enlightening, "ialmisery."

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »

I mention that only because of the widespread attempt to discredit the tradition of St. Andrew's visit, despite his travels around the Black Sea being widely accepted

yeah, I listened to Fr. Hopko on AFR the other day basically saying that there is no evidence that St. Andrew started the Byzantium Church and that the early fathers never mentioned it. Basically saying it was a nice myth, but nothing more.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: