OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:51:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's play, guess the poster!  (Read 1499 times) Average Rating: 0
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« on: November 21, 2011, 12:41:47 AM »

The idea is to guess who I am pretending to be below:

Quote from: A Catholic Poster
Blah blah blah something reasonable blah blah blah
LOL!

As you can see from this map of the Middle East or Mediterranean, I am very correct and you are obviously wrong.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:45:46 AM by WetCatechumen » Logged

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:50:32 AM »

You may as well post the game board from Risk. Oh, and copy-paste a few pages of anything from Google Books that's in the public domain. That way, you won't get slammed for copyright violation. Post a picture from WWII or a parade during the Cold War. Then, refuse to admit you are wrong. That should do it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 01:42:43 AM »

I don't even understand the point of this thread. Are you trying to make fun of a particular poster? If so, why don't you do the honorable thing and laugh at him to his face? IMO, this act of lampooning him "behind his back"--on this forum, nothing is really behind his back--is cowardly and despicable, and I think you, WetCatechumen, owe that poster an apology.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:46:30 AM »

ya, definite low blow...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 01:52:35 AM »

When you lose, use flattery.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 02:23:23 AM »

I don't even understand the point of this thread. Are you trying to make fun of a particular poster? If so, why don't you do the honorable thing and laugh at him to his face? IMO, this act of lampooning him "behind his back"--on this forum, nothing is really behind his back--is cowardly and despicable, and I think you, WetCatechumen, owe that poster an apology.

+1.  Man Up, WC.  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »

I don't intend for it to be behind his back. He should know very well that it refers to him.

This topic, of course, only fits in on this sub-forum, which is why I posted it here. I also think he owes everyone whose serious posts he has responded to with, "LOL!" an apology. I could easily find several examples of him doing that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:39:25 PM by WetCatechumen » Logged

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »

I don't intend for it to be behind his back. He should know very well that it refers to him.
Then don't you think you could address him directly rather than start a thread that looks only like an attempt to lampoon him?

This topic, of course, only fits in on this sub-forum, which is why I posted it here. I also think he owes everyone whose serious posts he has responded to with, "LOL!" an apology. I could easily find several examples of him doing that.
Yes, I know you could, because I know whom you're talking about. This thread you started does not impress me as the proper way to go about soliciting an apology from Isa. If you have a grievance against him, the first thing you need to do is confront him face-to-face (unless what he did to offend you was a violation of forum rules, in which case you need to report his offense to the moderators), NOT start a "fun" game to encourage others to join you in judging him.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:57:03 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »

When you lose, use flattery.

Nice.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:39 PM »

I actually think the idea of this thread would be fun if it weren't just about [one user's gripe with] Isa, but were expanded to include attempts at mimicking the style of any poster (all in good fun, of course).

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 01:38:57 PM »

Although I understand what the OP was doing, I just think it wasn't well thought out.

hen you lose, use flattery
Flattery gets you everywhere with me.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »

All of the self-important condescension from the EO posters on this thread aside...

I think the OP is fantastic. I don't think that the EO posters understand that this is how guys make good natured jabs at one another, for behavior that becomes stereotypical of any given person.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »

All of the self-important condescension from the EO posters on this thread aside...

I think the OP is fantastic. I don't think that the EO posters understand that this is how guys make good natured jabs at one another, for behavior that becomes stereotypical of any given person.
But this is the Internet, where such attempts at humor don't communicate well. BTW, whether I'm EO, OO, RC, or whatever doesn't override the fact that I'm a guy who knows how we make good natured jabs at one another. Besides, just because it's "something guys do" doesn't make it right.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »

We all do this. In fact I going to make this point in this thread and just shrugged and got pulled into a long discussion at work.

Along the way, such "jabs" are great. I don't just jab, I uppercut.

But if you are going to bring it and make a thread to do it, at least make one person laugh.

The OP was the probably the worst possible attempt to lampoon Isa's posting style.

My problem with the post is that it was obvious, not clever, not funny, not cutting enough.

In short: weak sauce.

If you are going to bring it. Bring it. Otherwise just stay home.

Laeodicea and all that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:46:49 PM by orthonorm » Logged

jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »

Sad shoot was really hoping this would of been a new fun game ....oh well  such is life
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »

I'll play along:

Quote from: RC poster
RC's be all like:

EO posters be all like:

Quote from: EO poster
Dude, knock it off, you're not helping your case.

ZOMG! OC.NET IS LIKE THIS WHEN IT COMES TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!

YEah, this is what "men" do.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »

Sad shoot was really hoping this would of been a new fun game ....oh well  such is life

I did too. I thought someone was gong to start making relatively obscure quotes of posts and have people try to guess the poster without using a search engine of course.

That would be fun.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:09:24 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 03:08:42 PM »

I'll play along:

RC's be all like:

EO posters be all like:

Nice.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »

I'll play along:

RC's be all like:

EO posters be all like:

Nice.

Thank you.  It's really a trick question.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »

Sad shoot was really hoping this would of been a new fun game ....oh well  such is life

Greetings in that most wondrous Name of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Ok, I'll play with you.

(P.S. - I am NOT making fun of this poster (I like the fellow), it's just that I think we should start out easy since Isa's already been done.  I hope to see some of my catchphrases show up at some point...)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:47:37 PM by vamrat » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »

Greetings in that most wondrous Name of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Ok, I'll play with you.

(P.S. - I am NOT making fun of this poster (I like the fellow), it's just that I think we should start out easy since Isa's already been done.  I hope to see some of my catchphrases show up at some point...)

OK: rules.

The person to guess it. Has to offer the next "poster". And only them. So it doesn't become a free-for-all.

Our beloved Habte of course!

EDIT: Another rule, whoever guesses the answer correctly and offers the clue, must sit out the round after their "poster" has been correctly identified, this will stop it from just being two or three of us with nothing else better to do.

//:=)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:00:13 PM by orthonorm » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »

^ Lol, vamrat! That's too easy.

I do a mean impression of myself, but that's about it.  Cool I totally thought this thread was going to be a fun game like that. Oh, well.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »

^ Lol, vamrat! That's too easy.

I do a mean impression of myself, but that's about it.  Cool I totally thought this thread was going to be a fun game like that. Oh, well.

That's what we are doing now!  This will be a lot funner than just making fun of poor Isa (who am I kidding...poor Isa.  He's gonna come in here at some point with a diagram of why the OP was lametastic.)  Until then, looks like orthonorm is up!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »

If orthonorm's not so subtle edit is trying to imply that I'M next, we're going to be here for a long time because all I can think of are insulting ones. Haha.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »

During my time spent in Japan as a Zen Roshi monkey-wrenching the Yakuza run corporations with the Wobblies, I learned a secret form of TWD only known to the most elite Korean Rabbis who eschew all carbs and live solely off the truly native diet of the first Korean peoples: organic grass-fed Bison massaged thrice daily by Russian Orthodox peasants.

EDIT: To Ismi, some of us can handle a little mocking, don't worry yourself.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »

If orthonorm's not so subtle edit is trying to imply that I'M next, we're going to be here for a long time because all I can think of are insulting ones. Haha.

I have to edit my posts about as often as you (since I can't read them for crap with all the other lines of code in there).  

And I will add rule 3 - you can't make a self-impersonation.  Just in case the //;-=)  was the hint.

Edit: ^ - NM
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:16:04 PM by vamrat » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »

Another rule, as if it were not obvious, you can't do a poster who has already been done.

No piling on.

Plus it will make the creating and guess more difficult as we gets rid of those of us who so much stuff on here to make it easy.

Can't wait till after poster 20 or so.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:21:15 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »

Side game:

Guess the over / under on how many posts we get through before this gets locked.

lulz.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 04:36:12 PM »

Question: Why do we need to wear crosses? Number one, crosses are usually worn as jewelry, which is pure vanity.

According to 1 Timothy 2:9, "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes."

So, crosses are usually gold and they can be expensive. Why can't we let our charity be our cross? Why do we need a physical symbol to show others our Christianity when we should be helping people 24/7? That second you spend putting on a cross, you could be adopting children from Mozambique.

People go to stores and purchase crosses when they could be using that money to feed the three people living outside on their doorstep. Plus how does wearing a cross help our faith at all? And usually the crosses are made out of gold. But even silver or pearl shouldn't be worn. It has no bearing to our salvation. I don't understand.

I don't want to make it look like I'm bashing Orthodoxy, I am really unsure about why this is permitted. Thanks.

--
--
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »

Question: Why do we need to wear crosses? Number one, crosses are usually worn as jewelry, which is pure vanity.

According to 1 Timothy 2:9, "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes."

So, crosses are usually gold and they can be expensive. Why can't we let our charity be our cross? Why do we need a physical symbol to show others our Christianity when we should be helping people 24/7? That second you spend putting on a cross, you could be adopting children from Mozambique.

People go to stores and purchase crosses when they could be using that money to feed the three people living outside on their doorstep. Plus how does wearing a cross help our faith at all? And usually the crosses are made out of gold. But even silver or pearl shouldn't be worn. It has no bearing to our salvation. I don't understand.

I don't want to make it look like I'm bashing Orthodoxy, I am really unsure about why this is permitted. Thanks.

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?

You didn't guess the previous poster. You don't get make a post unless you correctly do so.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »

Oh, it's Marc. You took my paleo diet idea.

--
--
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »

BTW, I am up for the mocking of me, the way I type of my posts. I'd LOVE to read an impression of me, whoever is going next....

--
--
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 04:41:47 PM »

Poster Ismiliora, you have broken the rules of this thread and are hereby put on warned status for the 15 days.  If you find this warning to be in error, please PM orthonorm

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »

Poster Ismiliora, you have broken the rules of this thread and are hereby put on warned status for the 15 days.  If you find this warning to be in error, please PM orthonorm

This thread is getting awesomer than I thought.

To bad this wasn't an "impression".

lulz.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:45:49 PM by orthonorm » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 04:48:18 PM »

I had a heart attack!!  laugh

You are doing 3 or 4 different people, can't pick which one.  police

--
--
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »

Both of my posts in this thread are trick questions. Wink

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »

It ain't "a poster!"* He didn't guess correctly yet!

Well not within the the confines of the game.

Schultz is meta.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »

Both of my posts in this thread are trick questions. Wink

You beat me to it.

Over / under?

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »

--subscribed--

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 04:54:49 PM »

63 posts.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 04:55:50 PM »

--subscribed--
Severian! Wink

Too easy, again...

--
--
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »

Thread locked pending moderatorial review
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

After further review, the decision has been made to keep this thread locked permanently. Please DO NOT make any attempts to restart this game anywhere else.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:05:22 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: