OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:57:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCA Deacon Uses Beautiful Gates Entrance to Sanctuary  (Read 1661 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« on: November 20, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »

Question:  (I couldn't wait to get on "OC.net" all afternoon due to this matter.)

My GOAA parish's presiding priest was on vacation today.  My parish also has an Antiochian priest, who is a St. Vladimir Seminary graduate, as its Liturgical Assistant, assisting during Divine Services. A neighboring OCA parish was good enough to lend us one of their deacons today, to assist.  He was proficient liturgically and a fine clergyman.  However, he routinely returned to the Sanctuary through the Beautiful Gates entrance!  Not always, but frequently.  Our celebrant told me that is not a practice he ever witnessed, and that deacons do not enter the Sanctuary through the Beautiful Gates at St. Vladimir Seminary.  This deacon's parish is in the OCA's Midwest Diocese.  What is anyone's experience with this practice?  Is anyone aware of why or how a deacon would use the Beautiful Gates to enter the Sanctuary?

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:29:02 PM »

Our archbishop's deacon enters the sanctuary through the beautiful gate all the time and we are, lamentably at times, as Greek as possible in all things.

Are there particular parts of the liturgy which you have in mind as not being appropriate times for the deacon to enter through the beautiful gate?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »

Respectfully, what difference does it make?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »

I thought deacons were prohibited from using the Beautiful Gates entrance, an entrance only bishops and priests use; that's one reason why the doors to the Sanctuary on the North and South entrances are known as the "Deacon's Doors."

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 05:22:55 AM »

I know they use them during while  returning from main entrance.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:29:42 AM »

In my parish deacons seem to normally use the deacons' doors but IIRC there are some occasions when they use the Royal Doors. I guess there's some logic in when they use that or this door but how should I know what. Tongue

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 07:54:56 AM »

GTC, it matters because he's curious.  So usually when the deacon goes through the open royal doors he is doing something... ie, carrying Holy things, like the Gospel or the diskos during the great entrance.  When he's going out to incense he goes through the deacon's door and comes back in the other deacon's door.  
And the litanies he goes out the deacon's door and comes back in, I can't remember but I don't think he goes out the royal doors for any litany, but I could be wrong, it's early/late and I need coffee to think, plus there are a lot of services to think through and I can't remember all the rubrics for them, I hope I helped.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:58:06 AM by username! » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »

AFAIR, I'll never seen such a thing, including never seeing it in the OCA.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 10:14:12 AM »

GTC, it matters because he's curious.  

un!, you're misreading the question.  I was genuinely interested rather than dismissive of his curiosity.  Wink 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »

GTC, it matters because he's curious.  So usually when the deacon goes through the open royal doors he is doing something... ie, carrying Holy things, like the Gospel or the diskos during the great entrance.  When he's going out to incense he goes through the deacon's door and comes back in the other deacon's door.  
And the litanies he goes out the deacon's door and comes back in, I can't remember but I don't think he goes out the royal doors for any litany, but I could be wrong, it's early/late and I need coffee to think, plus there are a lot of services to think through and I can't remember all the rubrics for them, I hope I helped.

UN! has got it, mostly.  If the deacon's carrying something, he goes through the royal doors.  If not, he uses the deacon's doors.

A breakdown of what I do:
When I do the litanies in services, I use the deacon's doors.  
At the little Entrance, I go through the Royal Doors with the gospel.  
When I go to do an open-door lesser censing at the epistle and the cherubic hymn, I go through the royal doors.  
When I take the gospel out and return from reading it, I use the royal doors.
At the Great Entrance, obviously I go through the royal doors with the paten.  
And, in several places in the OCA, deacons are blessed to distribute communion if father is the only priest and needs someone to help with communion due to numbers.  This is the case with where I'm currently serving during this, my last year of SVS, so I bring out the chalice ("In fear of God, and with faith and love, draw near") and when I bring the chalice back in.

The one, quick exception to the "deacons can go through the royal doors if they're carrying a holy object" rule is this: At the end of the troparion/kontakion sequence following "Come Let Us Worship," I get a blessing and "end around" through the royal doors to go to the front of the icon of Christ, finish father's sentence ("For holy art thou, O our God, and unto thee we ascribe glory, to the Fr, the Son, and the HS, now and ever...") and as I finish w/"and unto ages of ages", I rotate around to the people and go back through the royal doors.

Ultimately, it's a difference of practice (I was surprised by your OP, Basil, as I can't conceive of how a deacon could get through a liturgy easily w/out using the royal doors), but that's how I've been trained to do it.

Wow; been a while since I've posted here.  

Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:55:34 AM by DavidBryan » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »

our deacon's doors have a bunch of stuff behind them so they can't use them...(although visiting deacon's/priests have tried...with catostrophic results!) we have open sides so they can just go around if need be...
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »

UN! has got it, mostly.  If the deacon's carrying something, he goes through the royal doors.  If not, he uses the deacon's doors.

When I go to do an open-door lesser censing at the epistle and the cherubic hymn, I go through the royal doors.  
And, in several places in the OCA, deacons are blessed to distribute communion if father is the only priest and needs someone to help with communion due to numbers.  This is the case with where I'm currently serving during this, my last year of SVS, so I bring out the chalice ("In fear of God, and with faith and love, draw near") and when I bring the chalice back in.

The one, quick exception to the "deacons can go through the royal doors if they're carrying a holy object" rule is this: At the end of the troparion/kontakion sequence following "Come Let Us Worship," I get a blessing and "end around" through the royal doors to go to the front of the icon of Christ, finish father's sentence ("For holy art thou, O our God, and unto thee we ascribe glory, to the Fr, the Son, and the HS, now and ever...") and as I finish w/"and unto ages of ages", I rotate around to the people and go back through the royal doors.

Ultimately, it's a difference of practice (I was surprised by your OP, Basil, as I can't conceive of how a deacon could get through a liturgy easily w/out using the royal doors), but that's how I've been trained to do it.

Hope it helps!

This is the practice as I've observed it in the OCA and ROCOR.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »

I think the OP was implying that the deacon in question used the Beautiful Gates even when just going in/out for litanies.

The other things you mention (going through them at the Great Entrance, etc) are obviously called for.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 12:31:32 PM »

username, Reply No. 6 and DavidBryan, Reply no. 9,

Thank you very much.  This is all news to me and the logic to it is interesting.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »

Hope it helps!

Same goes in ACROD.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »

Thanks DavidByran, that is what my mind couldn't put into order after a night of no-sleep early this morning!

mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »

Hope it helps!
I've been taught that during Bright Week, all Deacon's exits and entrances are via the Royal Gates.

In XC

Deacon Philip

In XC,

Deacon Philip
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »

He does go through the royal doors for the short litany before the Trisagion. He re-enters only after he exclaims " ...and unto ages of ages!"
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »

UN! has got it, mostly.  If the deacon's carrying something, he goes through the royal doors.  If not, he uses the deacon's doors.

Hope it helps!
I've been taught that during Bright Week, all Deacon's exits and entrances are via the Royal Gates.

In XC

Deacon Philip

This, also, matched what I have observed in the OCA and ROCOR.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:02:57 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »

Hope it helps!

Same goes in ACROD.

Also for UOC of USA.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 10:02:56 PM »

Just imagine what he would have been thinking if a bishop was serving, the deacons go in out of the Beautiful Gates a bunch more times.

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: