OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:25:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Mechanics and Religion  (Read 727 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 19, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »

“You go to a quantum physicist and you say, ‘What creates the world?’ And he or she will say, ‘Energy.’ Well, describe energy. ‘OK, it can never be created or destroyed, it always was, always has been, everything that ever existed always exists, it’s moving into form, through form and out of form.’ You go to a theologian and ask the question, ‘What created the Universe?’ And he or she will say, ‘God.” OK, describe God. ‘Always was and always has been, never can be created or destroyed, all that ever was, always will be, always moving into form, through form and out of form.’ You see, it’s the same description, just different terminology.” ~Dr. James Ray

Although ignorant of Orthodox Dogmatic nomenclature, I feel strongly that this statement corresponds with the Orthodox understanding of God.  Am I way off or would this be a variant of Apophatic theology?  Also, who else finds Q.M. interesting? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »

That has nothing to do with quantum physics.

Sounds like a quote from some new age garbage like "The Secret"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:47:40 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 11:49:10 PM »

I don't think any aspect of modern science has been more exploited by spiritual hucksters and new age con-men than quantum mechanics.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:00:02 AM »

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »

Sounds like the oldest proffesion in the world, making money by getting people to give him/her money for telling them how to get Money.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 12:15:11 AM »

I don't think any aspect of modern science has been more exploited by spiritual hucksters and new age con-men than quantum mechanics.
Isn't there a line in "Forbidden Planet" about needing a quantum mechanic?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 01:13:37 AM »

That has nothing to do with quantum physics.
Yes, you're right.  I was visiting a q.m. site and gravitated towards the 'religion and...' section.  If you don't mind, what exactly is Q.M. as you understand it?

Sounds like a quote from some new age garbage like "The Secret"
Perhaps, but to me it also sounds a lot like what our saints have said only couched in today's lingo.  How else can we understand that God is every where at all times?  Malaysia, Georgia, Tokyo, New Zealand... at the same time.  

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:17:26 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: