OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:19:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dancing in Church?  (Read 865 times) Average Rating: 0
Abune N.

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Midwest

« on: November 19, 2011, 01:07:03 AM »

Ive been to several "Apostolic/Pentecostal churches" where at different times the members are so overwhelmed with what is being said by the preacher, they break out in dance. I've been told that this is the Holy Spirit coming into their body and making them do this. Ive also heard the same thing about speaking in tongues. What is the Orthodox view on this? is it really the Holy Spirit causing them to dance or is it some kind of show?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 01:50:38 AM »

A chemical imbalance in the brain.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:04:10 AM »

Ive been to several "Apostolic/Pentecostal churches" where at different times the members are so overwhelmed with what is being said by the preacher, they break out in dance. I've been told that this is the Holy Spirit coming into their body and making them do this. Ive also heard the same thing about speaking in tongues. What is the Orthodox view on this? is it really the Holy Spirit causing them to dance or is it some kind of show?

We have the dance of Isaiah at Baptisms and Wedding when the newly baptized and the newly wedded couples take their first steps and dance around the table.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 03:55:03 AM »

All I can say is the Holy Spirit doesn't so inspire Orthodox Christians during Eastern Orthodox Divine Worship, "Send down Thy Holy Spirit upon us..." and "Entreating for the Unity of the Faith and the Communion of the Holy Spirit..."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:56:32 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:32:22 AM »

We have the dance of Isaiah at Baptisms and Wedding when the newly baptized and the newly wedded couples take their first steps and dance around the table.

That's a walk. Call it what you want, they're walking.

Not posting
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 10:30:23 AM »

That's a walk. Call it what you want, they're walking.

LOL, thank you!!

I guess "walk of Isaiah" doesn't sound as joyful, but "dance of Isaiah" doesn't accurately describe what they are doing.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 12:27:53 PM »

Elder Cleopas said, pretty clearly, that this is not the Holy Spirit's work.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »

I'll be nice, and simply say:

Such acts of "charismatic" groups are foreign to Orthodox Tradition. Christian worship has been, since the earliest times, a solemn and sacred Liturgy and nothing so eccentric as what these pentecostal groups claim as "worship." While we cannot say where the Holy Spirit is or is not, we do know clearly that the actions of these groups have no grounding whatsoever in the ancient form Christian worship preserved by Christ's Holy Church.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: