OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 09:42:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Apologists Who Concede Nothing"  (Read 6732 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: November 18, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »

Let this be a lesson in never ask a question that you do not want answered, at least truthfully.
http://www.devinrose.heroicvirtuecreations.com/blog/2011/11/18/on-apologists-who-concede-nothing/#comments

What he has to say has been said by someone here (I'm just not in the mood nor have the time to shift through posts), so I'm not picking on him. He just has a good summary of the "points" that have to be responded too. Besides, not like he didn't bring it up:
I’ll be closing comments soon, since it seems to me (and from reading Isa’s comments over at OrthodoxChristianity.net forums) that this discussion will not make fruitful progress toward unity.
http://www.devinrose.heroicvirtuecreations.com/blog/2011/11/14/who-do-the-orthodox-say-the-bishop-of-rome-is/comment-page-1/
This, from this question he posted:
Who Do the Orthodox Say the Bishop of Rome Is?
We’ve had some great interactions, and I want to personally thank everyone who has weighed in on the comments of these posts, especially Steven Greydanus (Christianity’s preeminent film reviewer), Perry Robinson, Nick, Isa Almisry, Joe Heschmeyer, Nicholas, Hieromonk Ambrose (who gets the coolest name award, hands-down), Timothy Flanders, John Hogg, and Peter aka PMG.

Jesus asked the Apostles, “who do you say that I am?” I’d like to ask the same thing of my Orthodox friends. Not because I’m trying to trap you, but because I honestly don’t know.

Who do you say the bishop of Rome, Pope Benedict, is?

Is there an official Orthodox position on the bishop of Rome?

Is he a heretic? A schismatic? Both? An Anti-Christ?

IOW, our opinion was asked.  Not that we had to step in and correct incorrect thoughts on the Orthodox Church (though we had to do that too).  Not that we were "trolling" to pick a fight.  Our opinion was asked, and we gave it.

I seem to have missed the "only replys that agree with the Vatican will be received" caveat.  Was it in here?
Regarding the Dialogue We’ve Been Having

How often to Orthodox and Catholic laymen get together and hash out our differences, in a respectful and calm way? In my experience, not very. Which is why I’ve enjoyed these posts that have gotten such a positive interaction from people on both sides. My thought is, if we can’t talk about it, we’ll never get anywhere.

Further, I let the comments range all over. That’s the way I roll. Other sites—ones I greatly respect—moderate comments that aren’t focused on the particular topic at hand. That makes the posts and comment threads stay on topic and is quite helpful. But I feel that, especially in this discussion, having a discussion is more important than having a laser-focused one. Let’s just talk and argue and hopefully come out more knowledgeable and respecting of each other afterward.
My response:
First, the official Orthodox answer about the bishop of Rome is that the only bishop in the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church with his see at Rome is Bp. Siluan Spam, by statute of the Romanian Patriarchate.

The only Metropolitan of Italy in the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church has his see in Venice, Met. Gennadios, who, by agreement of all the bishops in the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church, serves as chairman of the Orthodox Episcopal Conference of Italy and Malta and as the chairman of its executive committee.

They are serving persuent to canon 2 of Constantinople I: “…the synod of each province will confine itself to the affairs of that particular province, in accordance with the regulations decreed in Nicaea. But the churches of God that are situated in territories belonging to barbarian nations must be administered in accordance with the customary practice of the Fathers.” St. Nicodemus interprets this (around the time the Orthodox jurisdiction of Italy was first being solidified) “As for the churches of God that are situated in the midst of barbarian nations, where there either were not enough bishops to make up a synod, or it was necessary for some scholarly bishop to go there in order to bolster up the Christians in their faith. These churches, I say, ought to be managed in accordance with the prevailing custom of the Fathers. To be more explicit, neighboring and abler bishops ought to go to them, in order to supply what is missing for a local synod. Which, though contrary to Canons, yet as a matter of necessity was allowed by the Council. Read Ap. cc. XXXIV and XXXV, and c. I of the Sixth.”

As they are not exercising jurisidction persuant to canon 6 of Nicea I, and are suffragans of others (i.e. the Ecumenical Patriarch, the Patriarch of Romania, etc.), the only pope in the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church is “His Divine Beatitude Theodore II the Pope and Patriarch of the Great City of Alexandria, Libya, Pentapolis, Ethiopia, All Egypt and All Africa, Father of Fathers, Pastor of Pastors, Highpriest of Highpriests, the Thirteenth of the Apostles and Judge of the World/Universe,” who has no jurisdiction in Italy.

As for the successor of St. Peter, beyond every bishop, in the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church, that would be his 170th successor where the disciples were first called Christians (Acts 11:26), “the Most Reverend and Most Holy Father, His Beatitude Ignatius IV Patriarch of Antioch, the Great City of God, of Syria, Lebanon, Arabia, Cilicia, Mesopotamia and all the East; Father of Fathers, Shepherd of Shepherds, Master of Masters, and Thirteenth of the Holy Apostles, our Father and Chief Shepherd.”

As for your supreme pontiff in the Vatican, Benedict XVI, he is purged of the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church for heresy. As to the nature of his heresy, it may be summed up by the renunciations asked of any of his followers if they wish to confess the Orthodox Faith and be received into Catholic communion:
“Dost thou renounce the false doctrine that, for the expression of the dogma touching the Procession of the Holy Spirit, the declaration of our Saviour Christ himself: “who proceedeth from the Father”: doth not suffice; and that the addition, of man’s invention: “and from the Son”: is required?”
“Dost thou renounce the erroneous belief that it doth not suffice to confess our Lord Jesus Christ as the head of the Universal Church; and that a man, to wit, the Bishop of Rome, can be the head of Christ’s Body, that is to say, of the whole Church?”
“Dost thou renounce the erroneous belief that the holy Apostles did not receive from our Lord equal spiritual power, but that the holy Apostle Peter was their Prince: And that the Bishop of Rome alone is his successor: And that the Bishops of Jerusalem, Alexandria, Antioch and others are not, equally with the Bishop of Rome, successors of the Apostles?”
“Dost thou renounce the erroneous belief of those who think that the Pope of Rome is superior to the Ecumenical Councils, and infallible in faith, notwithstanding the fact that several of the Popes have been heretics, and condemned as such by the Councils?”
“Dost thou renounce the erroneous belief of those who think that the Pope of Rome is superior to the Ecumenical Councils, and infallible in faith, notwithstanding the fact that several of the Popes have been heretics, and condemned as such by the Councils?”
“Dost thou renounce all the other doctrines of the Western Confession, both old and new, which are contrary to the Word of God, and to the true tradition of the Church, and to the decrees of the seven Ecumenical Councils?”
Along with the promises:
“Bishop. Dost thou believe and confess that power hath been given by our Saviour Christ unto the Orthodox-Catholic Church to bind and. to loose: and that whatsoever, by virtue of that power, is bound or loosed on earth will be bound or loosed in heaven?
Answer. I believe and confess it.
Bishop. Dost thou believe and confess that the Foundation, Head, and Great High Priest and Chief Shepherd of the Holy OrthodoxCatholic Church is our Lord Jesus Christ; and that Bishops, Pastors and Teachers are appointed by him to rule the Church; and that the Guide and Pilot of this Church is the Holy Spirit?
Answer. I believe and confess that this Church is the Bride of Christ, and that therein is true salvation, which was in the Ark of Noah at the Flood.
Bishop. Dost thou promise true obedience, unto thy life’s end, in guidance which is salutary unto the soul, to the Most Holy Synod; to the Most Holy Patriarch, the Equal-of-the-Apostles (or to the Ecclesiastical Authorities of the Autocephalous Provincial Church); and to the Bishop of this Diocese, as the true Pastors appointed by the Holy Spirit; and to the Priests ordained by them?
Answer. I promise it, with heart unfeigned.”
http://books.google.com/books?id=fBk9AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA456&output=text#c_top

As to Pope Benedict XVI personally, many of us (including myself, my priest and many in my parish) were members of the Cardinal Ratzinger Fan Club from way back. His abolishion of his patriarchate of the West was a mistake, especially not coupled with his ealier (pre-election) idea of promoting the local episcopal conferences.
To which the objection was raised:
It all sounds so polemical, so over the top. I mean, really? Are countries with predominant (or once-predominant) Catholic populations considered “barbarian lands” still?

And the profession of faith, much of that is false dichotomies and polemics as well. I dunno. This reminds me of the Orthodox laity, priests, and bishops calling the Pope the AntiChrist before his visit to Cyprus (which I linked to in the post).
which objections I answered
The office of reception of converts would of course be polemical. The convert is of course rejecting one thing to embrace another. Given the question, I wanted something a little more of an official answer than my own thoughts on the nature of what heresies Pope Benedict XVI of the Vatican might be guilty of.

For “barbarian” read “outside the normal system of things.” When the canon was written, the organization presupposed the context of the Roman Empire: there were no metropolitans in the Sassanid empire, for instance, given that it was not built on cities like Rome was. Right now, it would refer to areas not within the established patrimony of an autocephalous Holy Synod. Poland, for instance, which is overwhelmingly on the Vatican’s side of the issue, is not “barbarian lands” as it has a Holy Synod, its primate commemorated by his autocephalous peers, etc.

“Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church” again is to use official terminology:one of the major defects of Ravenna was the idea of defining Orthodox communion in terms of communion with Constantinople. That is true only as long as his peers commemorate him in their diptychs. Again, I wanted to give more official, less my own personal views.

As to alleged false dichonomies etc., they would have to have their own post.
to which last point I'll reply later, Lord willing.

In the meantime, after the comments were closed on the subject of this thread
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40904.0.html
there came this:
On Apologists Who Concede Nothing

We had a big Orthodox discussion this week and last here on the blog. Overall, I learned a lot, both about Orthodoxy but perhaps even more the arguments Orthodox apologists make. In the end, I had to take the unfortunate step of closing the comments and also warning two Orthodox apologists about their comments.

There is more, but at this point, what was I supposed to concede? 

That his supreme pontiff Benedict XVI should be in the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church?

That neither he, nor his followers who come to be received into communion with the bishops in the Orthodox diptcyhs of the Catholic Church be required to renounce any of the beliefs

That I should, per the dictates of his supreme pontiff, deny the proper and traditional title to my patriarch, the Pope of Alexandria, as the Vatican has-contrary to its usual way of dealing with its "sui juris" hierarchies-banned the use of the title by the Latin, Melkite and Coptic primates it has set up there (showing thereby how "sui juris" "of one's own right" the Vatican means-not very: its ecclesial community is too small for two popes (but it can manage 4 patriarchs of Antioch and three of Alexandria))?

That I should ignore Bishop Siluan at Rome, a bishop in the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church, and commune instead with the sovereign of the Vatican?

That I should take the Vatican's curia over the Orthodox Episcopal Conference of Italy and Malta? On that, I think I went into some detail:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30219.0.html

So, exactly was I to "concede"?  I think Devin (the blogger) answered that, and I'll post that next, Lord willing.  Let us say, it seems that dialogue means we Orthodox will be informed what the Vatican thinks important (like "something special about the bishop Rome), and what it thinks is not important/"isnt' dogmatic" (like the filioque), and we will adjust accordingly.  Sorry, dialogue isn't dictation.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »

Tried to publish this, three times, but it was not allowed to appear.

The Orthodox have been charitably clear since the first days of the ecumenical era that they are not bringing their faith into the market place.  They don't have an interest in concessions.  They wish to present and explain their faith to anybody with an interest and invite them to return to the faith which united us for 1000 years.

One finds that even such an Orthodox proponent of ecumenism, Fr Thomas Hopko, retired dean of Saint Vladimir's seminary NY, presents Rome with a shopping list of doctrinal amendments.  They begin about 1/3 down the webpage...
http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles6/HopkoPope.php

It maybe should be stressed that the Orthodox have no interest at all in subordinating any Church to another Church. They seek no authority.  Their only desire is unity in the faith,  When we achieve that, communion will follow naturally.

In the loving words of Alexey Khomiakov:

"We are unchanged; we are still the same as we were
in the eighth century... Oh that you could only consent to be again what
you were once, when we were both united in faith and communion."
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »

The Orthodox have been charitably clear since the first days of the ecumenical era that they are not bringing their faith into the market place.  They don't have an interest in concessions.  They wish to present and explain their faith to anybody with an interest and invite them to return to the faith which united us for 1000 years.

One finds that even such an Orthodox proponent of ecumenism, Fr Thomas Hopko, retired dean of Saint Vladimir's seminary NY, presents Rome with a shopping list of doctrinal amendments.  They begin about 1/3 down the webpage...

It maybe should be stressed that the Orthodox have no interest at all in subordinating any Church to another Church. They seek no authority.  Their only desire is unity in the faith,  When we achieve that, communion will follow naturally.

I agree.

In the words of Father Vasily of the Church of Onion Domes,

Change? Is outrage!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:13:30 PM »

Quote from: Devin
Note I am talking about a few of the Orthodox commenters. Not all of them. I have since learned they have a reputation for going around to other blogs and forums and arguing in this manner.

Oh dear, some people have been misleading Devin.   I do not write on blogs. Deven was rather unique for me.  I write on this Forum.  I have not written on Catholic Answers for 4 years. I contribute less than one message every two months to ByzCath.

WHY is it that Catholics respond to the Orthodox, when our position/teaching discomfits them, by banning us?  Why cannot we enjoy a clear and robust dialogue? 
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »

WHY is it that Catholics respond to the Orthodox, when our position/teaching discomfits them, by banning us?  Why cannot we enjoy a clear and robust dialogue? 

Because the truth hurts ....  Wink
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »

Because you don't want dialogue.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 08:54:25 PM »

What about this discussion surprises you, Ialmisry? What happened in the situation you described happens everywhere. Simply put, a non-revisionist historical account is not accepted in the West. That is why I no longer debate or discuss the topic: you cannot discuss anything with a person who does not want to hear you.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »

What about this discussion surprises you, Ialmisry? What happened in the situation you described happens everywhere. Simply put, a non-revisionist historical account is not accepted in the West. That is why I no longer debate or discuss the topic: you cannot discuss anything with a person who does not want to hear you.
LOL. Doesn't surprise me at all, Father.  Nor upset me.  I just have had a number of thoughts on this issue for some time that I thought time to put down (more to come).

I will say, as I always have believed, that if you do not want a question answered, don't ask it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:33:02 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 02:06:39 AM »

The Orthodox have been charitably clear since the first days of the ecumenical era that they are not bringing their faith into the market place.  They don't have an interest in concessions.  They wish to present and explain their faith to anybody with an interest and invite them to return to the faith which united us for 1000 years.

One finds that even such an Orthodox proponent of ecumenism, Fr Thomas Hopko, retired dean of Saint Vladimir's seminary NY, presents Rome with a shopping list of doctrinal amendments.  They begin about 1/3 down the webpage...

It maybe should be stressed that the Orthodox have no interest at all in subordinating any Church to another Church. They seek no authority.  Their only desire is unity in the faith,  When we achieve that, communion will follow naturally.

Welcome to the Index of Forbidden Posts.  Wink  

His latest page is a bit hard to figure out on his original stated premise of honest dialog; evidently he is after dialog with those who disagree with him unless they are not in favor of working for unity with Rome on his terms, or if they hesitate to concede Total Factual Error if he deems a Roman Catholic poster has presented some "devastating counterpoint." Resistance is futile.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:32:04 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:50:23 AM »

What, someone, somewhere on the internet, said some dumb crap about Orthodoxy? Woah.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 03:07:54 AM »

What, someone, somewhere on the internet, said some dumb crap about Orthodoxy? Woah.

Hard to imagine, I know.  Wink

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 03:13:36 AM »

Note I am talking about a few of the Orthodox commenters. Not all of them. I have since learned they have a reputation for going around to other blogs and forums and arguing in this manner.

Oh dear, some people have been misleading Devin.   I do not write on blogs. Deven was rather unique for me.  I write on this Forum.  I have not written on Catholic Answers for 4 years. I contribute less than one message every two months to ByzCath.

The problem is, is that so many EO's appear to be extremely rude in online debate.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 03:17:21 AM »

The problem is, is that so many EO's appear to be extremely rude in online debate.
Like we have a monopoly on rudeness, Papist? Wink
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 06:17:01 AM »

That makes it okay, because two wrongs make a right.

Roll Eyes
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »

Roll Eyes

To whom are you talking?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 12:58:13 PM »

Like PTA said.  Your head must be so far buried somewhere if you think that just by being RC one cannot be rude in online debate.  Of course there are rude Orthodox Christians all over the place.  The INTERNET is a spawning ground for self absorbed, self righteous jackasses who think they are divinely ordained to defend their (weak) faith against any all comers. 

They all need to grow up, get off the internet, and learn some tact, humility, and quit acting the Pharisee.

ALL of them, no matter their religious affiliation.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »

Rudeness on the net. Who would have thunk it!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 02:20:45 AM »

Roll Eyes

To whom are you talking?

I was talking to Xariskai, but it could go for the whole thread. Self included.
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 03:42:55 AM »

As leader of the world's Christians, the Pope of Rome would travel extensively. He would take full advantage of contemporary means of transportation and communication. He would master electronic media to serve his ministry in proclaiming Christ's Gospel, propagating Christian faith, promoting ethical behavior, protecting human rights, and securing justice and peace for all people. He would be the servant of unity among all human beings, first of all his fellow Christians, not as an episcopus episcoporum, but as a true servus servorum Dei.

This demand seemed to me to be the silliest. "The Pope has to continue doing what he is already doing!"

Fr. Hopki has illuminated some clear differences, but he has also some silly demands, especially concerning the way the Roman Church runs its liturgy.

Seriously. You guys have got to give up the whole, "There can only be one right way to do liturgy and administer sacraments!" What caused this schism in the first place? Greek Catholics in Southern Italy being forced to adopt Latin practices, partially. Leavened bread as normative. That's right, **** off Maronites and Armenians! You're all wrong! We might as well insist that you allow the laity to drink from the chalice as we do, and often happened in apostolic times - or even receive the Body of Christ in their hands - as they did in ancient times! How dare you depart from the apostolic faith with little t tradtions.

Or the demand to get rid of cardinal bishops at Rome - this system existed before the schism. Cardinal Humbert, anyone? Also a silly demand.

I think that there are much more important things to be focused on than those.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:45:08 AM by WetCatechumen » Logged

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 04:38:38 AM »

Rudeness on the net. Who would have thunk it!

Rudeness in a religious discussion in anywhere online or offline. Who would have thunk it!

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

Now there you go confusing him with facts!!... Sad

As leader of the world's Christians, the Pope of Rome would travel extensively. He would take full advantage of contemporary means of transportation and communication. He would master electronic media to serve his ministry in proclaiming Christ's Gospel, propagating Christian faith, promoting ethical behavior, protecting human rights, and securing justice and peace for all people. He would be the servant of unity among all human beings, first of all his fellow Christians, not as an episcopus episcoporum, but as a true servus servorum Dei.

This demand seemed to me to be the silliest. "The Pope has to continue doing what he is already doing!"

Fr. Hopki has illuminated some clear differences, but he has also some silly demands, especially concerning the way the Roman Church runs its liturgy.

Seriously. You guys have got to give up the whole, "There can only be one right way to do liturgy and administer sacraments!" What caused this schism in the first place? Greek Catholics in Southern Italy being forced to adopt Latin practices, partially. Leavened bread as normative. That's right, **** off Maronites and Armenians! You're all wrong! We might as well insist that you allow the laity to drink from the chalice as we do, and often happened in apostolic times - or even receive the Body of Christ in their hands - as they did in ancient times! How dare you depart from the apostolic faith with little t tradtions.

Or the demand to get rid of cardinal bishops at Rome - this system existed before the schism. Cardinal Humbert, anyone? Also a silly demand.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:49:05 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »

Oh dear, some people have been misleading Devin.   I do not write on blogs. Deven was rather unique for me.  I write on this Forum.  I have not written on Catholic Answers for 4 years. I contribute less than one message every two months to ByzCath.

WHY is it that Catholics respond to the Orthodox, when our position/teaching discomfits them, by banning us?  Why cannot we enjoy a clear and robust dialogue?  

Like PTA said.  Your head must be so far buried somewhere if you think that just by being RC one cannot be rude in online debate.  Of course there are rude Orthodox Christians all over the place.  The INTERNET is a spawning ground for self absorbed, self righteous jackasses who think they are divinely ordained to defend their (weak) faith against any all comers.  

They all need to grow up, get off the internet, and learn some tact, humility, and quit acting the Pharisee.

ALL of them, no matter their religious affiliation.
Not that I need to justify myself to you, but I am well aware that there are rude RC posters. But to be completely honest, the EO position seems to be almost exclusively defended by the rude. Think about who addresses EO/RC issues on this forum the most. It's not balanced and reasonable people like you.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:55:18 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 05:06:54 PM »

Depends on what he is refering to.  Continuing going down the right direction of course the right thing to do.  The abolition of your Patriarchate of the West, and the justification, was a swerve off the right path.  Skimming through the article, I haven't found your quote, so I don't know what it refers to: was it his quote or your spin?

Perhaps he is answering a fool in his folly.  Given the silliness that Vatican II brought in, I'm not sure what "silly demands" would be.

Seriously. You guys have got to give up the whole, "There can only be one right way to do liturgy and administer sacraments!"
LOL. Because the Vatican has finally for the most part (but not totally) given up on that?

Some things there is only one way to celebrate Divine Liturgy, e.g. with an epiclesis.

Btw, I seem to have read it more closely than you, e.g.
The pope would also insure that the faithful always participate in the consecrated wine, the blood of Christ, at Holy Communion. How this is practically done may differ in different churches, but it must be done, without exception.

What caused this schism in the first place? Greek Catholics in Southern Italy being forced to adopt Latin practices, partially. Leavened bread as normative. That's right, **** off Maronites

LOL. Bad example: unleavened bread is a Latinization forced on the Maronites, amongst others.
and Armenians!

this seems to have developed after Chalcedon, and in connection with the fallout from it.
You're all wrong! We might as well insist that you allow the laity to drink from the chalice as we do,

LOL, you mean as you do now. But we know the Vatican didn't start at Vatican II, and remember how your Utraquists came running to us, the first talks for WRO, around the same time as your council of Florence.
and often happened in apostolic times

Often?  The laity always received from the chalice
- or even receive the Body of Christ in their hands - as they did in ancient times!

And they never did at the Vatican until Vatican II.

How dare you depart from the apostolic faith with little t tradtions.
How about little v vatican traditions?  What you bring up are things not only NOT practiced by the Vatican until Vatican II, but actually forbidden.

Cardinal bishops did exist, but the college of cardinals and the system for which it serves as the core did not.  As I just recently posted, again:
We might as well insist that you allow the laity to drink from the chalice as we do,

It looks like you have never heard of the Liturgy of St. James.

Or the demand to get rid of cardinal bishops at Rome - this system existed before the schism.

But in the way you have it now.

This changes nothing in his message.  The beef doesn't change.  All this does is support his assertion that EOs pick at the Catholic Church without much historical to back them up on very many things.  And are exceptionally nasty about it.
Oh? Like this?
Probably none. Not a lot of people harbor the seething resentment that seems to be trapped in your head. Probably not a lot of people even care. Then again, that would contradict your raving anger, and you wouldn't be able to pick another fight, no matter how much you want to.

You get away with a lot because you're a priest. It's people like you who make me not want to be Orthodox.

It can't be 'right glory' to just be obnoxious and provoke people all the time.

I think certain people are too nice here and they're afraid to break out the ban hammer.

What a shame.
Is that seething resentment towards facts, or just the presenter thereof?
A cardinal, of course, is an honorary title for a member of a select group of archbishops. And the title of archbishop has been around since waaaay back when. Let's not get silly.  Roll Eyes Unless Isa didn't know that, in which case he's talking out of his hat. Doesn't he need a new hat by now?  Huh
evidently not.

The only archbishop waaaaay back when in Rome was the archbishop a/k/a the pope now (7th century or so, the title meandering from Alexandria-upon whom it was bestowed-through Carthage to Rome).  The other half dozen or so bishops were suffragans, who consecrated the new archbishop (a similar set up was in Alexandria, but not in Constantinople, Antioch or Jerusalem).  The first diocesan bishop, let alone archbishop, to be named cardinal didn't happen until 1163, when beseiged Pope Alexander III (another pope-antipope schism over the "font of unity")  let Archbishop Konrad of Mainz keep his see, although named cardinal in the college at Rome.

Not all cardinals are bishops.

Do get your facts straight.
The college of cardinals does not predate your schism, and the cardinal bishops of the college that Fr. Hopko speaks of (as opposed to original suburbicurian synod out of which the college of cardinals grew) do not predate it either.  In fact, many of those involved in sealing your schism were involved in creating your college of cardinals-and exceptionally nasty about it-created in the aftermath of yet another pope-"anti-pope" struggle on who is the "true font of unity," and there is PLENTY of history to back up the EO on the Vatican's assertions misrepresenting the Catholic Church.
Yes, like the filioque.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »

Well, the Protestants have their invisible church, and you have your invisible facts. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »

Poor Father Hopko!

However my intention in introducing his shopping list to Devin was to show that the Orthodox who responded to Devin’s request as to how the Orthodox view the Pope are not a freaky minority or Catholic-haters.   The denigration of the Orthodox contributors as mean and fundamentalist was not true, not just and not charitable.    They were responding honestly to Devin’s request with statements shared across the Orthodox world and by such an eminent theologian as Fr Thomas Hopko.  But it is clear that unless the Orthodox position suits the Catholic stereotype we may expect scorn. Sad –and not conducive to progress in mutual understanding.

[/quote]
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »

Poor Father Hopko!

However my intention in introducing his shopping list to Devin was to show that the Orthodox who responded to Devin’s request as to how the Orthodox view the Pope are not a freaky minority or Catholic-haters.   The denigration of the Orthodox contributors as mean and fundamentalist was not true, not just and not charitable.    They were responding honestly to Devin’s request with statements shared across the Orthodox world and by such an eminent theologian as Fr Thomas Hopko.  But it is clear that unless the Orthodox position suits the Catholic stereotype we may expect scorn. Sad –and not conducive to progress in mutual understanding.

Another one that I've heard that is similarly annoying is "oh!...we are small and weak and we need special tending"...

At any rate.  I've never met more aggressive nasties than I have on Orthodox venues on the Internet.  Either they are busy attacking Catholics or one another but it is mean to the bone.

That has been a huge disappointment to me over the years.  Much bigger even than Catholic Answers dumping their Orthodox members and sections...why?...because I know the attacks would continue with or without the Catholic Church.  I think the word that comes to mind is fissiparous...

M.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 06:12:41 PM »

[Another one that I've heard that is similarly annoying is "oh!...we are small and weak and we need special tending"...

I have never heard that.  It is nonsense anyway.

And the allegation that Orthodox attack one another.....?  I am trying to bring to mind the names of forum members who do that.  There have been attacks from time to time from schismatic groups who deny that the Orthodox have grace or that we are baptized but that is no more than a minor irritant such as your Sede Vacante groups.

At any rate.  I've never met more aggressive nasties than I have on Orthodox venues on the Internet.  Either they are busy attacking Catholics or one another but it is mean to the bone.

That has been a huge disappointment to me over the years.  Much bigger even than Catholic Answers dumping their Orthodox members and sections...why?...because I know the attacks would continue with or without the Catholic Church.  I think the word that comes to mind is fissiparous...

M.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »

Unfortunately Devin seems to have preconceived and inaccurate ideas of Orthodoxy and when he asked questions and then found the answers did not suit he began to slag off the Orthodox participants.  Unfortunately this encouraged some of the Catholic participants to do the same.

Even a little knowledge would have been useful, even just a quick perusal of Metropolitan Kallistos Ware’s basic introduction to Orthodoxy The Orthodox Church.

He writes:

"But there also exists in the Orthodox Church a
more rigorous group, who hold that since Orthodoxy is the Church, anyone who is not Orthodox
cannot be a member of the Church. Thus Metropolitan Antony, head of the Russian Church in
Exile and one of the most distinguished of modern Russian theologians, wrote in his Catechism:

Question: Is it possible to admit that a split within the Church or among the Churches could
ever take place?

"Answer: Never. Heretics and schismatics have from time to time fallen away from the one
indivisible Church, and, by so doing, they ceased to be members of the Church, but the Church
itself can never lose its unity according to Christ’s promise’.

"Of course (so this stricter group add) divine grace is certainly active among many
non-Orthodox, and if they are sincere in their love of God, then we may be sure that God will
have mercy upon them; but they cannot, in their present state, be termed members of the Church.

"Workers for Christian unity who do not often encounter this rigorist school should not forget that
such opinions are held by many Orthodox of great learning and holiness."

http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0804/_P1S.HTM

As an example, here is something from the Greek Metropolitan Athanasios in 2010.  Metropolitan Athanasios is the renowned spiritual director in Kyriacos C. Markides “ The Mountain of Silence.” You will see he does not believe that the Catholics have a priesthood or a Eucharist.

That does not mean that everybody agrees with him of course.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,27796.0.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:36:33 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 07:01:09 PM »

I agree.

In the words of Father Vasily of the Church of Onion Domes,

Change? Is outrage!
If change is an outrage, how come there has been change in the Orthodox Church on a few issues?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »

If change is an outrage, how come there has been change in the Orthodox Church on a few issues?

There have been a few changes.  Once it was a serious sin to lend money and receive interest.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:04:07 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »

, bickering and going off topic and picking on each other will be treated in accordance to oc.net rules -username! section moderator
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:36:44 PM by username! » Logged

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 02:09:33 AM »

Perhaps I haven't read enough of the threads, but I don't see anyone on either side of anything as being that incredibly rude around here. Funny how it tends to be "them" rather than "us" who are "the most rude," whoever "we" may happen to be. Or is it?

Sometimes people *can* be rude. Also -quite often!- people are more easily *perceived as rude* when they are on THE OPPOSITE SIDE of a pet issue from an "offended party" whether rudeness was really intended or not (think of matter meeting anti-matter).

ON CIRCLES, ECLIPSES AND WRONGS REAL OR PERCEIVED

H. S Liddell, "The Experimental Neurosis," Annual Review of Physiology Vol. 9: 569-580 (Volume publication date March 1947)

"It is now thirty years since Pavlov's attention was directed to the phenomena ol abnormal behavior in animals and man. A dog, subjected to prolonged conditioning, was unable to distinguish between the appearance of a luminous circle as a signal for food and an almost circular ellipse as a signal for no food and in consequence suddenly exhibited extreme and enduring agitation. As Pavlov [(1), p. 292] describes it:

“The hitherto quiet dog began to squeal in its stand, kept wriggling about, tore off with its teeth the apparatus for mechanical stimulation of the skin and bit through the tubes connecting the animal's room with the observer, a behavior which never happened before. On being taken into the experimental room the dog now barked violently, which was also contrary to its usual custom; in short, it presented all the symptoms of acute neurosis... Alter these experiments we paid considerable attention to pathological disturbances in the cortical activity and began to study them in detail."

"From this laboratory incident eventuated a systematic program of research in Pavlov's laboratories devoted to the chronically disordered behavior of dogs... Of particular importance was his discovery that "experimental neuroses are usually permanent, aflecting an animal for months and even years" [(2), p. 180]..."

The dog becomes hostile and aggressive because it can not deal with a situation of cognitive dissonance when it is in some way invested in the nature of the result. The animal's reaction is one of fear, hatred, and aggression. The same temptation applies to human beings, as has been experimentally verified repeatedly.

Some years ago a friend of mine told me a story about two astronomers who became practically blue in the face while engaging in a screaming match about whether Pluto was a planet or a planetoid in the presence of an auditorium filled with spectators. One can almost imagine two dogs snarling: "it's a circle!" "No, an ellipse!!" I have seen the same thing countless times with countless issues. Most of us have, but if we are personally invested we may not see it in the same manner. on both sides of a thing :-)

Rarely do we ever meet someone who supposes the opposing parties are usually more rational and reasonable than they are, though statistically we might expect to find this in at least half of all cases, or unless most of those "someones" we run across  are superior masters of virtue beyond that of the average bear -or dog.  ;-)

Neurosis born of dissonance -whether temporary or, as *usually* the case in animal experiments, permanent- is a real result of inability to cope with cognitive dissonance. This phenomenon is in fact ubiquitous and strongly confirmed experimentally for humans. If there is merit to such studies there seems little doubt that internet fora would be rife with the whole spectrum from mild temporary reactions to permanent neuroses involving extreme anxiety to hatred at the mere sight of an "ellipse" -and invariably more the fault of the one presenting it. Such a reaction will only be magnified by degree with special emotional attachment or similar investment.

Perhaps we may find the circle or ellipse position we oppose seems to be almost exclusively defended by the rude. Or perhaps those who present ellipses -or circles as the case may be- make some of us more nervous than we realize or may wish to suppose.

Whatever the truth of the matter it is we ourselves who we each have not only the greatest greatest responsibility, but the greatest ability to change. Let us strive to model virtue at both sides of this equation, whether to cure our own possible rudeness with a dose of kindness, or to cure our automatic anxiety triggered by situations of cognitive dissonance with a dose of patience, from the Gk. μακροθυμία, "suffer long." If we suffer with Him we will reign with Him. Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on us, sinners all.

Eph 4:2:  "Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each others' faults because of your love."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:29:25 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

Seems the devil is at work again at Devin's blog:
Mountains out of Molehills, a Demon’s Delight
Gothmog here. Lord of the Balrogs, Flame of Udun, etc.

Couldn’t help but read (with scarcely concealed glee) the hundreds of comments on the posts about Eastern Orthodoxy. Most of all I was delighted in remembering how skillfully my Master had driven a wedge and fueled the fires that led to the delicious division from the Enemy’s Church.

I’m gonna show my cards to you to see how genius we are in the Underworld. How we used molehills to cause the greatest schism in history:
my favorite is
2. Filioque

Hahahahaha! I just laugh every time I hear this phrase. Few things incite us more than the recitation of the Creed (which we call the Screed), so why not instigate a division over a tiny phrase inserted into it in the West? This was actually my idea and I got a big demotion (which you would think of as a promotion) over it.

Curses forever to Pope Benedict for reaching out to the Orthodox and omitting the Filioque. Fortunately even this effort was coolly received and even spurned in some Orthodox quarters. “Let no good deed go unpunished,” one of our more cleverly hellish aphorisms.

Fact is, the Catholics and Orthodox both came to agreement on how this could be understood, but we dispatched a legion of demons to break up this accord and they found success quickly. Disunity achieved again!...

Final Thoughts

So now, nothing makes us happier than seeing you argue to death over yeast in the bread and little phrases that you once agreed on...
it seems the Vatican apologists get to tell us what is important, and impose their revisionism at the same time.  Patronize much?
3. The Pope

Barf! I think of him and get sick to my stomach. But beautifully, the Enemy made him the chief, and that gave us an opening, for no human likes accepting an authority–non serviam and all that. We focused on him like a laser, stirred up rebellion, tried to get the worst possible men in this position, and sometimes succeeded!

Nothing offended the erudite and contemplative Eastern mind more than a loutish oaf sitting on St. Peter’s Chair. How could this man be preeminent? In the backwaters of the old capital of the Empire? The cultural divide grew, and our work became easy. A little push here, a nudge there, and boom! mutual excommunications laid down in 1054 AD. The ensuing centuries required little attention on this front, as the divide had been secured.
http://www.devinrose.heroicvirtuecreations.com/blog/2011/11/30/mountains-out-of-molehills-a-demons-delight/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:52:24 AM by ialmisry » Logged

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »

Couldn’t help but read (with scarcely concealed glee) the hundreds of comments on the posts about Eastern Orthodoxy. Most of all I was delighted in remembering how skillfully my Master had driven a wedge and fueled the fires that led to the delicious division from the Enemy’s Church.

I’m gonna show my cards to you to see how genius we are in the Underworld. How we used molehills to cause the greatest schism in history:
my favorite is
2. Filioque

Hahahahaha! I just laugh every time I hear this phrase. Few things incite us more than the recitation of the Creed (which we call the Screed), so why not instigate a division over a tiny phrase inserted into it in the West? This was actually my idea and I got a big demotion (which you would think of as a promotion) over it.

Curses forever to Pope Benedict for reaching out to the Orthodox and omitting the Filioque. Fortunately even this effort was coolly received and even spurned in some Orthodox quarters. “Let no good deed go unpunished,” one of our more cleverly hellish aphorisms.

Fact is, the Catholics and Orthodox both came to agreement on how this could be understood, but we dispatched a legion of demons to break up this accord and they found success quickly. Disunity achieved again!...

Final Thoughts

So now, nothing makes us happier than seeing you argue to death over yeast in the bread and little phrases that you once agreed on...
it seems the Vatican apologists get to tell us what is important, and impose their revisionism at the same time.  Patronize much?
3. The Pope

Barf! I think of him and get sick to my stomach. But beautifully, the Enemy made him the chief, and that gave us an opening, for no human likes accepting an authority–non serviam and all that. We focused on him like a laser, stirred up rebellion, tried to get the worst possible men in this position, and sometimes succeeded!

Nothing offended the erudite and contemplative Eastern mind more than a loutish oaf sitting on St. Peter’s Chair. How could this man be preeminent? In the backwaters of the old capital of the Empire? The cultural divide grew, and our work became easy. A little push here, a nudge there, and boom! mutual excommunications laid down in 1054 AD. The ensuing centuries required little attention on this front, as the divide had been secured.
http://www.devinrose.heroicvirtuecreations.com/blog/2011/11/30/mountains-out-of-molehills-a-demons-delight/

Tongue. In. Cheek.   Roll Eyes

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »

my favorite is
2. Filioque

Final Thoughts

3. The Pope

Or just going off the deep end. Honestly, I maybe prefer his blog this way, as a tongue-in-cheek mouthpiece for demons.  laugh

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »

my favorite is
2. Filioque

Final Thoughts

3. The Pope

Or just going off the deep end. Honestly, I maybe prefer his blog this way, as a tongue-in-cheek mouthpiece for demons.  laugh

I actually like his blog, *either* way.  No accounting for taste, eh  Grin?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »

Well, at least it's nice to see a Screwtape rip-off that doesn't actually try to be a new Screwtape missive, unlike some other bloggers.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 02:35:12 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
DevinRose

Jurisdiction: Santa Fe

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

Hello everyone! Yay, my registration finally went through on this forum.

The blog post's point is, of course, that the fact that such a small thing as the presence or absence of yeast in bread is cited as an important reason behind the schism shows the cunning power of evil.

The call is for Orthodox and Catholics to lay down the arms, polemics, and avoid making mountains out of molehills. There are differences between our Churches, but nothing that Christ cannot overcome. It starts with us.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 03:42:23 PM »

The blog post's point is, of course, that the fact that such a small thing as the presence or absence of yeast in bread is cited as an important reason behind the schism shows the cunning power of evil.

The call is for Orthodox and Catholics to lay down the arms, polemics, and avoid making mountains out of molehills. There are differences between our Churches, but nothing that Christ cannot overcome. It starts with us.

Amen!  Amen!  Amen!

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:53 PM »

That's nice.

Now root out the fililoque out of your faith tradition and ecclesial community, and work on bringing your ecclesiology back into conformity to the episcopate Christ founded.

Then, we will not only welcome you to the forum (Welcome!), but into the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

DevinRose

Jurisdiction: Santa Fe

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »

Isa and other esteemed Orthodox,

Isa, you have not been banned from my blog, but you and Hieromonk Ambrose's comments will first go into moderation. I corresponded privately with Fr. Ambrose about this, but did not with you. My bad.

I did ask questions over the course of several posts, and you answered to the point on at least one comment, which I saved in a document along with the other relevant comments made by other Orthodox commenters (this was regarding ecumenical councils).

So to claim that I asked and didn't like an answer is false. In fact, across those posts I let all comments through, probably close to 500, and moderated none of them.

Further, acting as if I shut down Orthodox commenters is false. Perry Robinson, an articulate proponent of Orthodoxy, along with Nicholas of Myra, John Hogg, and others, have all commented and continue to do so (and their comments are not moderated).

So what's the problem I had with your comments? Simply this: you show no fairness when describing the history of our Churches and the schism. When I asked for some reasonable balance on conceding that there was pride and sins on the Orthodox side as well as the Catholic side, neither you or Fr. Ambrose acknowledged this but just kept up the same lopsided comments. I gave you three chances on this, and your continued comments demonstrated that you are were not willing or capable of doing so. Hence, I closed the comments and put future comments of yours (none of which I have seen you make) in moderation.

The comments you have made in this forum only confirm that my decision was correct. I would welcome it if you proved me wrong.

So I do not ask for a concession for concession's sake, on some core doctrinal issue that you believe Orthodox are right on, but rather just acknowledging that there were Orthodox Christians, and not just Catholics, who contributed to the schism. If you cannot concede that then there is no point is discussing other topics, because your judgment of history is so one-sided as to be unreasonable.

God bless,
Devin
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »

So what's the problem I had with your comments? Simply this: you show no fairness when describing the history of our Churches and the schism.

Fairness?  To the dickens with Fairness!!

Try ACCURACY

Not much of that and it's far more essential to dialogue.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »

So what's the problem I had with your comments? Simply this: you show no fairness when describing the history of our Churches and the schism.

Try ACCURACY

Agreed.  But fairness in one's judgement of history and in assigning blame/responsibility, etc. *along with* accuracy would be even better, no?  Hey, if we're going to ask for the improbable, why not ask for the impossible, too  Grin?

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »

Try ACCURACY

EM, in all fairness, there's no accuracy to be found in accounts of a division that produced so much animosity on both sides.

DR, I once believed (back in my Anglican days) that there had to be two wrong parties in the schism, just on the basis of suspicion (one I felt well-founded by my researches in the Protestant Reformation and subsequent schisms between the Protestant parties- that is, I found that both Rome and the Protestants were wrong about different issues), however, I have yet to find any real fault with the Orthodox side. Did Leo IX or Michael Cerularius start the fight that eventually led to the Schism? We can argue about that all day. Was the patriarch wrong to criticize the use of unleavened bread in the Western churches? Possibly (probably). But who excommunicated who? And, the question that is going to have to be addressed before any reunion is possible, did the Church of Rome have the right to enter one little phrase into the Creed (yes, the history of the filioque is much more complicated than that) and demand the other Churches follow suit? That is, does the Pope indeed rule over all the Church, or is the governing of the Church supposed to be more conciliar? I believe any objective study of history must answer the latter, that is why I became Orthodox and not Roman Catholic.

The only way our churches will be reunited is if the Pope gives up supremacy (along with claims of infallibility). A new council will have to be convened, and the possibility of a new order for the Pentarchy could come to the table (FWIW I would be in favor of Rome and Constantinople taking the last two spots- Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Rome, Constantinople, but that is highly unlikely, I'm sure [of course, Rome could volunteer for last place, the leader becoming the servant in accord with Dominical parable]). The Primacy of Rome was based upon Rome being the capital of the Empire and defender of Apostolic teaching, neither of which have been in effect in the past thousand years.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 04:48:58 PM »

EM, in all fairness, there's no accuracy to be found in accounts of a division that produced so much animosity on both sides.

This, along with your conclusions, is a reduction to the absurd.

What else is new?...as they say.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: