OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 11:18:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete OT/NT Orthodox Bible.  (Read 2278 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« on: August 24, 2004, 11:20:11 AM »

Does anyone have information concerning the progress of the new bible that Fr. Peter Guillquest etal are working on?  I have not heard anything on this topic for quite some time.

JoeS   Cool
JohnCassian
At Least Semi-Augustinian

St. John Cassian

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 11:48:53 AM »

There hasn't been an 'official' update in quite some time, but as far as I know, they're still on target for a July 2005 release.

"Do leave off speaking of me as an ill-educated and uncouth and unfriendly man, not even worthy to live." - St. Gregory the Theologian in a Letter to St. Basil the Great
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 02:13:45 PM »

Ooh!  Hadn't heard that...afaik they had been shooting for Nativity, '05.  Hope they can get it out sooner.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 07:41:31 PM »

Looking forward to it.

I'd love to get an Orthodox publisher to bind the forthcoming OSB Old Testament with the Orthodox New Testament, but I doubt that'll happen.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 07:52:44 PM »

Do you all think the LXX will be available in a seperate volume?  It seems to me that I read the OSB editors were re-doing the NT as well.  Did anyone here this?

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 08:10:42 PM »

I thought that they were planning on updating the NT (but still using the NKJV text) after the OT is published, but I haven't followed the project since 1999 or so.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 08:48:14 AM »

Since their OT translation is going to be a new one (and based upon the Septuagint), I'm looking forward to it's release.  Right now I have the Brenton translation, but have been informed this has it's limitations.

Unfortunately, if the commentary in the previously released Orthodox Study Bible is any indication of what we may find in their new Septuagint translation, then I won't be buying it for the footnotes.  The OSB-NT's notes were next to useless, either stating the obvious (as if we hadn't just read the text itself), or had the air of being geared towards a Protestant audience, trying to lure them in with a little "Orthodoxy lite" milk (for fear the meat might be a little too much for them.)  The prayer guide at the back was simply autrocious (a morning/evening rule without so much as a single prayer to our Lady?).  Since these "extras" were why I bought the thing in the first place (since there is nothing spectacular or unique about the translation they used for that one - it was the same NKJV you'd find in any number of tomes), I was in the long run not pleased with the result.

However, if this was a fund raising tool to pay for the expenses involved in creating a modern translation of the Septuagint, I guess it's almost forgivable. Smiley
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 09:10:08 AM »

The prayer guide at the back was simply autrocious (a morning/evening rule without so much as a single prayer to our Lady?).

I happen to use that rule as a basis for my own prayer rule.  It's very much just a bare bones approach and it lends itself to adding your own prayers.  IT does not say that you can't add anything; in fact, it says quite the opposite after the intercessory prayers.  BTW, to say there isn't a single prayer to our Lady isn't quite right, as the "More honorable than the Cherubim..." is quite plainly included.

As for the footnotes, you must remember that not everyone who picks up a Bible is as knowledgeable as you are about Orthodox theology and are in need of such "next to useless" footnotes.  I found them quite appealing and use them as a guide to further explore Eastern Christian theology, an appetizer if you will.  I find myself reading the sources of the patristic quotes and commentary on Scripture passages and further deepning my understanding of what I've just read.  

Just my two cents.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 08:43:59 AM »

Dear Friends,

I agree with Shultz here.  I too have made a rule of prayer using many of the Godly prayers from this Study Bible.  The OSB has its limitations, no doubt.  But if anyone looks at the OSB web-site you will see that they explain they followed some Protestant ideas in the original layout of the first edition (not to mention employing the Protestant NKJV). They did this, they explain, becuase they were venturing into some uncharted territory producing the first low cost, easily available, Orthodox Study Bible. In the new edition this reliance on Protestant format is being corrected.

The significance of this Bible to me is its presentation of Orthodox themes, theology, Tradition and Biblical interpretation.  For instance take any dominant theme of Orthodoxy and beginning in the index of footnotes begin to trace where that theme is treated in the notes of the Bible. Then read the various Biblical citations along with the corresponding notes. I've done this many times and come away with much deeper Orthodox Biblical understanding of these particular Orthodox doctrines. THIS is why I like the OSB.

I realize that sometimes the notes are a tad clumsy and unimpressive but other times I have found them to be brilliant and very helpful. Again I know it has some short-commings, but when we consider its accessability, affordability, useability and general accuracy in presenting the basic Orthodox Faith, I think it is a God-send. The upcoming addition of the newly translated English Septuagint and revised NT text with revised notes will, in my opinion, make it even better.

p.s. As a side note, allow me to add that I have a brother-in-law who is in the process of re-discovering his Orthodox Christian faith (he is Antiochian Orthodox). He and his wife are doing much Bible study and he regularly listens to Protestant radio-evangelists, and reads Protestant Bible commentaries. Needles to say that Protestant doctrine is making its way into many of his understandings of Christianity (many times without him realizing it). You should have seen the look of surprise and astonishment when I was able (for twenty dollars) to place in his hands an Orthodox Study Bible. His comment to me was "I didn't even know something like this existed!" He thanked me profusely and further commented that he was wanting to know the way his Church understood the Bible.  I know he will study this book assiduously and come away from it with a much better understanding of his Orthdox faith (as well as a safe-guard against Protestantsim). This is clear example of the importance and usefulness of this work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 08:47:32 AM by Ghazaros » Logged

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 11:32:17 AM »

I personally prefer the OSB as a study tool, because the words are in larger print than say, a thicker Bible, and the notes are idiot-proof (something I'm badly in need of, heheh).  It also has Icons and mini-homilies on issues relevant to (yes, you're right) people coming from a Protestant background (i.e. most Americans, whether church-going or not, have had their religious impression heavily shaped by Protestant theology).  But I think I really just like the size of it.  It's large and easy to read, which is nice when you have to really concentrate on something.  The parish my wife and I are at right now has a couple of copies of the Septuagint (Greek next to English) for sale, but they're about $50, so it'll have to wait.  I'd still like to get a copy, though.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: