OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 10:54:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10k Converts to Syriac OC in Brazil?  (Read 3802 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatios

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: November 17, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2011/11/ten-thousadn-roman-catholics-and-anglicans-joined-syrian-orthodox-church/

Is this legit? I sure hope so.

Or is it 100,000? The article is inconsistent.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:04:03 PM by ignatios » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »

I wonder what rite they will adopt if that's true. Novus Ordo will probably be out of question but I wonder whether they will be arabized or retain the Roman rite.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »

What is odd is that the converts are coming together at once from two different directions?

Btw, the Syriacs are not Arabs.  They predate us.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 06:33:02 PM »

Btw, the Syriacs are not Arabs.  They predate us.

Pardon my ignorance. angel Am I however wrong thinking that past centuries have pretty arabized Syriac culture?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »

Btw, the Syriacs are not Arabs.  They predate us.

Pardon my ignorance. angel Am I however wrong thinking that past centuries have pretty arabized Syriac culture?
No, it hasn't.  We had a lot of culture in common to begin with.  The Syriacs, however are mostly among the Kurds and Turks now, and other isolated places (though they do have a presence in the cities). On a boat trip from Arwad to Tartus, I was pleased to overhear some speaking Syriac amongst themselves.  The retention of Swedish culture in a see of Finns might make an apt comparison, and the failure of the Swedes to "Swedicize" the Finns.

Btw, I say this because there has been a lot of pressure to Arabicize them: in Ma'lula, the Church services are in Arabic, although the people speak Aramaic.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:47:49 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:48:56 PM »

Thank you for the information. I am currently trying to work out my Master's thesis on immigrant Muslims in Finland so I'm always interested to hear about these kind of things.

ignatios

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »

I can't find any independent corroboration of this event, and seeing that the article didn't even report the number of converts properly...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »

The SOC allowed the WR (IDK how it's now).
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »

Do you have a source for that, Michal? All the information that I've been able to find on the Syriac Orthodox Church in Brazil seems to indicate that they use the Syriac liturgy in common with the Syriac Orthodox churches elsewhere.

Brazilian TV report on Syriac Orthodox in Sao Paulo

Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »

The Syriac OC in Brazil is comprised of a few immigrants and a number of converts. In the video we see the long-time representative of the Syriac Patriarchate, Fr. Gabriel.

There is a *big* group of converts though who used the name Syriac without authorization for many years. As far as I know, they had contacted the Syriac Patriarchate and were ordered to start discrete Christian missions and would be under observation during this period. They did not respect the order and introduced themselves as due representatives of the Syriac church despite Fr. Gabriel being the only legitimate one. That did not prevent them even from joining the Brazilian Council of Churches in the name of the Syriac Church.

When I denounced this farse on the internet, they started sending me hate mail and even threatened to put me on legal trial. Had it not been for the kind intervention of a State Attorney from S. Paulo they probably would have continued their online aggressions. It seems that once the news spread that they were perpretating a lie questions started being asked and the answers could not be given.

After some time of silence, they reappeared with a real document acknowledging their reception in the Syriac Church. *Today* they are really members of that communion.

I have not found any news in Portuguese about that. Considering their past, I would not be surprised to learn these numbers are "exagerated". But it could be true too. It is an unfortunate reality in Brazil that "fake Orthodox" - and even fake OOs - are far more pro-active in "missions" than the canonical Churches. I really hope that their acceptance in the Syriac church turns out to be something good, and not something that will backfire in some years against the Syriacs themselves.

And the translation they show in the video of the Lord's Prayer is the New Age interpretation of the Aramaic translation of the original Greek text.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:42:36 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 08:33:33 PM »

Btw, the Syriacs are not Arabs.  They predate us.

No, it hasn't.  We had a lot of culture in common to begin with.  The Syriacs, however are mostly among the Kurds and Turks now, and other isolated places (though they do have a presence in the cities). On a boat trip from Arwad to Tartus, I was pleased to overhear some speaking Syriac amongst themselves.  The retention of Swedish culture in a see of Finns might make an apt comparison, and the failure of the Swedes to "Swedicize" the Finns.

Btw, I say this because there has been a lot of pressure to Arabicize them: in Ma'lula, the Church services are in Arabic, although the people speak Aramaic.

Isa, much love and respect! many years my brother!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:09 PM »

in Ma'lula, the Church services are in Arabic

Say it ain't so!  Undecided

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 10:46:34 AM »

Do you have a source for that, Michal? All the information that I've been able to find on the Syriac Orthodox Church in Brazil seems to indicate that they use the Syriac liturgy in common with the Syriac Orthodox churches elsewhere.

Brazilian TV report on Syriac Orthodox in Sao Paulo

I meant they used to have some WRO Parishes.
Tags: oriental converts  Syriac Orthodox Church  brazil 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: