OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 01:07:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican to Launch Anglican Ordinariate Structure  (Read 814 times) Average Rating: 0
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« on: November 17, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »

http://www.christiancentury.org/article/2011-11/catholics-launch-shelter-anglicans-jan-1
Quote from: christiancentury.org
A new Roman Catholic structure for Anglican converts in the United States will be formally launched on January 1, 2012. The structure, technically called an ordinariate, will function like a non-geographic diocese. Converting congregations will be allowed to retain certain Anglican liturgical and ecclesiastical traditions, such as married priests. Married priests cannot become bishops, however.

Cf. also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_ordinariate
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:51:42 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »

Btw, I just saw this claim:
The Anglican Communion is history. In a period of eight years, there were not be a single Anglican Practicing their faith. This is because the head of the Catholic Personal Ordinariate of England is getting 300 requests per day to join the Ordinariate, that equals 100,000 per year. That is 800,000 in eight years. Bye-bye Anglicanism.
http://catholicdefense.blogspot.com/2011/10/why-it-matters-that-kate-middleton-can.html

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »

Converting congregations will be allowed to retain certain Anglican liturgical and ecclesiastical traditions, such as married priests. Married priests cannot become bishops, however.

I wonder how long that will last.

As anyone who is familiar with the difficulties Ukrainian Catholic Clergy in the US faced with this very issue at the turn of the last century, I wonder how many generations it will take before the Vatican goes back on its promises for this.

Although clergy in Ukraine were allowed to marry, once they started to immigrate here, the Vatican made it very tough for Ukrainian Catholics to practice their faith in the Byzantine rite, and to allow married men to be ordained.

I really wonder how long this will be allowed...

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »

The Anglican Communion is history. In a period of eight years, there were not be a single Anglican Practicing their faith. This is because the head of the Catholic Personal Ordinariate of England is getting 300 requests per day to join the Ordinariate, that equals 100,000 per year. That is 800,000 in eight years. Bye-bye Anglicanism.
http://catholicdefense.blogspot.com/2011/10/why-it-matters-that-kate-middleton-can.html

"Left footer" in the context of the quote is from soccer, where a shot from a left foot is unexpected and, if done well, a goal.

Its use has nothing to do with the linked phrase. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »

Converting congregations will be allowed to retain certain Anglican liturgical and ecclesiastical traditions, such as married priests. Married priests cannot become bishops, however.

As anyone who is familiar with the difficulties Ukrainian Catholic Clergy in the US faced with this very issue at the turn of the last century, I wonder how many generations it will take before the Vatican goes back on its promises for this.

Although clergy in Ukraine were allowed to marry, once they started to immigrate here, the Vatican made it very tough for Ukrainian Catholics to practice their faith in the Byzantine rite, and to allow married men to be ordained.

As long as the current pope is the pope, at the least. He's taken a very hands-on approach with the Ordinariate, very much sheltering it under his wing.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »

"Left footer" in the context of the quote is from soccer, where a shot from a left foot is unexpected and, if done well, a goal.

You lost me.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »

As long as the current pope is the pope, at the least. He's taken a very hands-on approach with the Ordinariate, very much sheltering it under his wing.
Ah, despite claims to the contrary, supreme pontiffs do contradict each other.  This one is going to come to a head rather quickly, as already they have more married Latin priests than those of the Eastern rites in the US.  The mandatory celibacy is going to appear out of place.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »

As much as I wish this were true, it's pretty hard to swallow.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 05:39:50 PM »

Coke or Pepsi?

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/New-Yorks-gay-Irish-keep-mass-attendance-alive-134055883.html

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »

Ah, despite claims to the contrary, supreme pontiffs do contradict each other.  This one is going to come to a head rather quickly, as already they have more married Latin priests than those of the Eastern rites in the US.  The mandatory celibacy is going to appear out of place.

Hence the word "current".

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »

You lost me.

I'm referring to this little tidbit:

“Left-footer” is a bizarre anti-Catholic slur, if you're not familiar.  Here's another of the Telegraph comments:
And if the child is secretly brought up as a catholic (mothers usually put their offspring to bed and, if religious, say goodnight prayers with them) and upon ascending the throne feels his/her allegiance is to Rome what might happen next?

It just annoyed me.  It's like when a DC Councilmember was forced to resign about ten years ago because he (correctly) used the word "niggardly."  People will find offense in any place they can if they want to.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »

You lost me.

I'm referring to this little tidbit:

“Left-footer” is a bizarre anti-Catholic slur, if you're not familiar.  Here's another of the Telegraph comments:
And if the child is secretly brought up as a catholic (mothers usually put their offspring to bed and, if religious, say goodnight prayers with them) and upon ascending the throne feels his/her allegiance is to Rome what might happen next?

It just annoyed me.  It's like when a DC Councilmember was forced to resign about ten years ago because he (correctly) used the word "niggardly."  People will find offense in any place they can if they want to.

Ah, so I'm not crazy. At least on this point.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 06:01:42 PM »

Hence the word "current".
yes, but as we say "only God is immortal."  Not that I wish the current sovereign of the Vatican any ill will. Far from, many years! I've been a Cardinal Ratzinger Fan Club member from way back, but this simmering issue of the mandatory celibacy isn't going to go away with him.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 11:12:56 PM »

300 requests per day to join the Ordinariate is, if true, an astonishing figure, though it is perhaps presumptuous to extrapolate it into an eight year long steady state.

Silly Stars
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:13 PM »

I know that this is being rolled out here in the US starting December 1, but it got its "test-run" in England. Does anyone know of the success it has had there?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »

I know that this is being rolled out here in the US starting December 1, but it got its "test-run" in England. Does anyone know of the success it has had there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_ordinariate#Ordinariate_for_England_and_Wales

Silly Stars
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: