OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 11:09:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONE: FIRST ANNUAL ORIENTAL ORTHODOX YOUTH CONFERENCE  (Read 1579 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: November 17, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »

ONE: FIRST ANNUAL ORIENTAL ORTHODOX YOUTH CONFERENCE
Nov 26th, 2011

On November 26 you are invited to be part of a historical event!  We invite all youth from high school,college and graduates of all Oriental Orthodox Churches to come and attend our first annual Oriental Orthodox Youth Conference at St Mary's Church in East Brunswick NJ.  Come meet  your family you never knew you had.  We will come as many and leave as ONE.  This promises to be an experience of a lifetime!  Please see Video Below.  Please click on form link below to complete registration and payment

http://www.copticbiblestudy.org/our-fellowship

Registration form:

https://fs4.formsite.com/jmalek/form4/secure_index.html

Oriental Orthodox- Thanksgiving Conference Promo Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aP_ydfAWAY

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »

Great! I do hope the Oriental Orthodox Churches continue to grow together in unity, realizing the fulness of the Orthodox faith rather than viewing our Churches as mere ethnic clubs.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »

Great! I do hope the Oriental Orthodox Churches continue to grow together in unity, realizing the fulness of the Orthodox faith rather than viewing our Churches as mere ethnic clubs.

Amen!!!  well said Severian!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »

I hope they post audio files online. I've heard speeches from a couple similar conferences, and they were very good.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:44:52 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »

From what I unnderstand they'll be showing it on CYC (http://www.cycnow.com) eventually.

ONE 1st annual oriental orthodox churches gathering day soon on CYC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thPV5IIxm8g

The second video on this page is a 5 minute clip of the event where each of the Priests and Deacons introduce themselves.

Title: Fathers of the Oriental Orthodox Youth Conference
http://www.saint-mary.net/video/Events.asp

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:14:57 PM »

From what I unnderstand they'll be showing it on CYC (http://www.cycnow.com) eventually.

ONE 1st annual oriental orthodox churches gathering day soon on CYC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thPV5IIxm8g

The second video on this page is a 5 minute clip of the event where each of the Priests and Deacons introduce themselves.

Title: Fathers of the Oriental Orthodox Youth Conference
http://www.saint-mary.net/video/Events.asp

One of the most pleasantly surprising things I've noticed is this is in a way a change in His Grace Bishop David's stance on the Indian Orthodox, accepting them equally as a sister Orthodox Church in the family of the OO Church.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »

More videos:

Some discussion with the youth, and a small word by our very own Deacon Phillip Matthew, with an Indian Orthodox prayer session at the end
http://youtu.be/jgKvhPewoEM

Great talk by V. Rev. Fr. Daniel Findikyan, Dean of St. Nersess, with a little talk by our very own Fr. Amde Tsion, and an Indian Orthodox chant at the end
http://youtu.be/S-WbY6FscbE

And I'm not sure, but CYC might post more.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:31:02 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 02:17:26 AM »

One of the most pleasantly surprising things I've noticed is this is in a way a change in His Grace Bishop David's stance on the Indian Orthodox, accepting them equally as a sister Orthodox Church in the family of the OO Church.

Did the General Bishop have another stance on the Indian Church?

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »

Did the General Bishop have another stance on the Indian Church?

When I was in undergrad, he refused me to have a joint Coptic/Indian liturgy in our school.  It was planned and all set.  I had an Indian and Coptic priest ready to partake of it.  The conversation went like this at the time.  He asked me, who's their bishop/patriarch?  I said, "Catholicos Baselios Mar Thoma Matthews II" (the Catholicos at the time).  He said, "We don't recognize them.  Since the Syrian Church don't recognize them, then we don't either."  I retorted, "Your Grace, Their Graces Bishop Youssef and Bishop Serapion recognize them."  He then proceeded to call His Grace Bishop Serapion, but unfortunately he was in Egypt never to answer the call in my presence.  I complained to the Coptic priest, but he advised me not to get in between this issues, and it's best to obey.  I obeyed, canceled it with my apologies, and I never talked to His Grace Bishop David again.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:50:39 AM by minasoliman » Logged

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »

^ Mina, its wonderful that HG finally came around.  I really wouldn't be suprised if your words had some influence on him.

Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 03:18:26 PM »

Does the Coptic Church have an official position regarding the schism in India, or is it left up to each bishop, even if it is an individual like David of the Bronx, to decide?

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »

Does the Coptic Church have an official position regarding the schism in India, or is it left up to each bishop, even if it is an individual like David of the Bronx, to decide?

Based on what I have read in the past and what bishops around the world seem to be doing, there is pretty much a unanimous understanding that what goes on in the Syrian Church is their business and has no bearing on the Coptic Church.  In other words, it's fine to commune with the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.

HH Pope Shenouda never really gave any views, although he seemed to welcome the Malankara Orthodox Catholicos in Egypt at some point.  For what it's worth, His Grace Bishop Youssef even said very clearly:

The Orthodox Church in India declared itself autocephalous in 1912, though conflicts with the Syrian patriarchate continue.

We pray that the conflict between the Syrian Patriarchate and Malankara Church will be resolved soon.

Doesn't even make mention of the Malankara Syrian Orthodox in this particular q&a:

http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=746&catid=436

PS  Just in case some confusion occurs, the official name of the independent Indian Church is the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, whereas the Indian diocese of the Syrian Church is called the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:38:44 PM by minasoliman » Logged

copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 07:17:03 AM »

Doesn't this communique mean that this issue will be totally resolved soon?

http://syrorthodoxchurch.com/index-Dateien/PDF_Texte_u_Medien/Decision_10.01.2012.pdf

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »

http://syrorthodoxchurch.com/index-Dateien/PDF_Texte_u_Medien/Decision_10.01.2012.pdf

Unfortunately it doesnt. Actually this makes it even worse.

This is not the website of a canonical Oriental Orthodox Church. A Syriac Monk based in Europe with the name 'Gurgan' was expelled for indiscipline. This Syriac Monk then approached the Indian Orthodox Synod. The Indian Orthodox Church ordained him as a Bishop (with the name Mor Severious Moses) and installed him as the primate of a new church called Syriac Orthodox Church of Europe. He then later changed the name to Antiochian Syriac Orthodox Church and has been using that as his letter head. The only church they were in communion with was the Indian Orthodox Church.

You can read about it from this old post:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13828.0.html

Later this expelled monk, now Bishop ( Mor Severious Moses), showed his true colors to the Indian Orthodox Church as well. A couple of dissatisfied monks from the Indian Orthodox church approached this primate of this new church (which was established with the full support of the Indian Orthodox Church) and got themselves ordained as Bishops. When the Indian Orthodox Church saw this attitude from Gurgan, they revoked the communion with this new Church.

You can read about that from this old post:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26634.0.html

Now this new church has come back and said the Indian Monks that they have ordained as Bishops will be placed under the Catholicate of the Indian Orthodox Church, there by trying to mend fences.  

This whole thing has nothing to do with the canonical Syriac Orthodox Church under H.H Ignatius Zakka I.

It will be interesting to watch the next move of this non-canonical Syriac Bishop  Mor Severious Moses (aka expelled monk Gurgan) based out of Eurpoe; especially if things go really bad in a post Assad Syria and when H.H Zakka I passes away and a vacancy is created at the Patriarchate of Antioch.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:21:10 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 06:30:49 AM »

Lord Have mercy!
I didn't notice the address written at the top of the letter, or the fact that HH Mar Ignatius Zakka I Iwas hasn't signed it.

The situation seems to be more tangled than I thought. Lord Have mercy!
I'll try to read more about the situation, your posts look like a good starting point. Thanks for your input.

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »

Unfortunately it doesnt. Actually this makes it even worse.

This is not the website of a canonical Oriental Orthodox Church. A Syriac Monk based in Europe with the name 'Gurgan' was expelled for indiscipline. This Syriac Monk then approached the Indian Orthodox Synod. The Indian Orthodox Church ordained him as a Bishop (with the name Mor Severious Moses) and installed him as the primate of a new church called Syriac Orthodox Church of Europe. He then later changed the name to Antiochian Syriac Orthodox Church and has been using that as his letter head. The only church they were in communion with was the Indian Orthodox Church.

You can read about it from this old post:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13828.0.html

Later this expelled monk, now Bishop ( Mor Severious Moses), showed his true colors to the Indian Orthodox Church as well. A couple of dissatisfied monks from the Indian Orthodox church approached this primate of this new church (which was established with the full support of the Indian Orthodox Church) and got themselves ordained as Bishops. When the Indian Orthodox Church saw this attitude from Gurgan, they revoked the communion with this new Church.

You can read about that from this old post:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26634.0.html

Now this new church has come back and said the Indian Monks that they have ordained as Bishops will be placed under the Catholicate of the Indian Orthodox Church, there by trying to mend fences.  

This whole thing has nothing to do with the canonical Syriac Orthodox Church under H.H Ignatius Zakka I.

It will be interesting to watch the next move of this non-canonical Syriac Bishop  Mor Severious Moses (aka expelled monk Gurgan) based out of Eurpoe; especially if things go really bad in a post Assad Syria and when H.H Zakka I passes away and a vacancy is created at the Patriarchate of Antioch.

Wow...may God deliver us always from evil...truly sounds like a Syrian Max Michel, only much more clever and deceptive unfortunately.  Lies by playing the victim it seems to the Indian Orthodox, and then blossoms his poisonous fruit.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: