OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:03:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity Fair on the Greek Public Schools  (Read 327 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: November 17, 2011, 01:29:53 PM »

Don't know if this will end up in politics, but I found this comment interesting:
The Greek public-school system is the site of breathtaking inefficiency: one of the lowest-ranked systems in Europe, it nonetheless employs four times as many teachers per pupil as the highest-ranked, Finland’s. Greeks who send their children to public schools simply assume that they will need to hire private tutors to make sure they actually learn something.
http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2010/10/greeks-bearing-bonds-201010
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:33:32 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »

but.....but.....but.....I thought that having smaller class sizes and more teachers would make the lion lie down with the lamb, jews and arabs have peace, and tv dinners finally cooked all the way through in one shot!

You mean that it doesn't work? Im shocked!!!!!!!!

laugh

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »

After reading this article, I'm sure american teachers will be so angry that there are teachers g in greece getting paid more for doing less to educate than what they are doing!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:18:01 PM »

I'll add this to my list of shames.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Katerina, my sister, dear beyond measure

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:53:30 AM »

If you are really interested in the Greek educational system, this is a more informative read:
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/44/21/48657344.pdf

In 1997, 56% of 25-64 year-olds had not completed upper secondary education, 29% had completed upper secondary or post-secondary non-tertiary education, and 16% had completed tertiary education. Twelve years later, the numbers looked very different: 39% of 25-64 year-olds had not completed upper secondary education, while 38% had completed upper secondary or post-secondary non-tertiary education, and 24% had completed tertiary education (Table A1.4).

A comparison of educational attainment between 25-34 year-olds and 55-64 year-olds shows that Greece has seen a 35 percentage-point increase in the proportion of those who have attained at least an upper secondary education – from 40% among the older cohort to 75% among younger Greeks (Chart A1.2). Overall, in 2009, 61% of 25-64 year-olds had attained at least an upper secondary education. In addition, more young adults are enrolling in post-secondary studies: the proportion of 20-24 year-olds in education rose from 31.9% in 1997 to 47.2% in 2009 (Table C4.4).

Recommendations are also provided in the document.

For some reason the 2011 Legatum Prosperity Index ranks Greece ahead of Germany and Israel in the education category:
http://www.prosperity.com/education.aspx
That makes little sense to me based on what I know.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: