OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:15:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Concelebration of the Divine Liturgy  (Read 2110 times) Average Rating: 0
dhinuus
Elder

« on: November 17, 2011, 09:26:27 AM »

The Oriental Orthodox Concelebration of the Divine Liturgy will be held at 9:00am on November 19, 2011 at the Archangel Michael & St. Mena Coptic Orthodox Church, 4095 Amboy Rd, Staten Island, New York 10308.

NULL
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »

What rite will they use, as there is nothing that can claim to be the Oriental Orthodox rite?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »

What rite will they use, as there is nothing that can claim to be the Oriental Orthodox rite?

There are several Oriental Orthodox rites. I have no idea about New York, but in Zürich, they have been somewhat combined in the case of OO concelebrations.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »

We use the rite of the host Church, so in this case Coptic.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »

There are several Oriental Orthodox rites. I have no idea about New York, but in Zürich, they have been somewhat combined in the case of OO concelebrations.

In the US we use the rite of the host Church, but do include hymns from the other rites especially during Communion.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »

In the US we use the rite of the host Church, but do include hymns from the other rites especially during Communion.

Does it cause any confusion? Does the basic structure of various rites differ in any significant way?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:47:00 AM by Alpo » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »

Does it cause any confusion? Does the basic structure of various rites differ in any significant way?
When I was in Finnland, I was totally lost as to the language (I don't speak a word of Finnish, except that nele means five; I have an amuzing story of how I found out that sour milk is a staple in Finnalnd connected with me being Fenno-challenged), but the service was familiar.  The OO services differ from each other (I've been to Coptic, Syriac, Indian and Armenian. Hopefully one day Ethiopian.), as much as they differ from the rite of Constantinople (heck, there are different uses of that rite that throw us at times), that if they are not in a common language (e.g. English) I could see some confusion.  That's besides the leaven/unleavened issue (though most OO I know have been at least vaguely aware of the Armenian custom).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »

I've only been to one, but it seemed to go rather smoothly. There's definitely a difference in the way each family of Priests or Bishops intone the words, but having everything in English definitely helps.

Does the basic structure of various rites differ in any significant way?

Different enough in the details, but the general structure of Divine Liturgy is the same i.e Liturgy of the Word, Liturgy of the Eucharist, etc... I'll defer to other more knowledgeable posters to answer more fully.

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »

I think this year the Coptic rite will be used. Last year the concelebration was at St. Mark’s Syriac Orthodox Cathedral, Teaneck, New Jersey held on  June 12th, 2010 and the Ethiopian rite was used. Pics in the link below:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28320.0.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:27:08 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »

The Oriental Orthodox Concelebration of the Divine Liturgy will be held at 9:00am on November 19, 2011 at the Archangel Michael & St. Mena Coptic Orthodox Church, 4095 Amboy Rd, Staten Island, New York 10308.

VIDEO:  http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18617918

NULL
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 12:58:05 PM »

PHOTOS:

NULL
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »

Abouna Andrew has some videos on his youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AbounaAndrew?feature=watch#p/u/6/Akxso0xUmnA

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 02:43:50 AM »

I realised I understand nothing about the Syriac, Indian and Armenian vestments.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 06:49:03 PM »

I realised I understand nothing about the Syriac, Indian and Armenian vestments.
You can read about the Syriac vestments at http://sor.cua.edu/Vestments/index.html. The vestments used by the Indian Orthodox Church is identical as the Indian Orthodox Church is also of the Syriac tradition of Oriental Orthodoxy.

NULL
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 12:10:28 AM »

Beautiful pictures. Thanks.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: