OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:46:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Study: Leather helmets as safe as modern ones  (Read 350 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: November 17, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »

Interesting news about the football helmets we use and used to use...

Upon first glance, the statement is almost laughable: Old-time leather football helmets provide as much -- if not more -- protection from concussions as do their modern counterparts. But considering the source of the research, laughter is not likely the reaction of most of the football world.

A team of researchers at the venerable Cleveland Clinic recently tested 11 modern-day and two decades-old leather helmets and found that indeed advancements in helmet technology may not have much impact on concussions at all.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »

Interesting news about the football helmets we use and used to use...

Upon first glance, the statement is almost laughable: Old-time leather football helmets provide as much -- if not more -- protection from concussions as do their modern counterparts. But considering the source of the research, laughter is not likely the reaction of most of the football world.

A team of researchers at the venerable Cleveland Clinic recently tested 11 modern-day and two decades-old leather helmets and found that indeed advancements in helmet technology may not have much impact on concussions at all.

I've often thought about this, and it makes sense. In the days of the leather helmet, players would lead with their shoulder rather than their head when making tackles. But now players are inclined to trust too much in the protection of the helmet, and they often wind up leading with the crown of the helmet as they make a tackle. Of course, there are now rules against leading with the helmet, but it has become so instinctive that many players are having difficulty readjusting.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »

In the museum where I work there is a miner's helmet from the 1950s made from compressed cardboard. Apparently they were quite common.

ps: the place where I work is much more interesting than I've made it sound. It's brilliant.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:38:45 PM by J.M.C » Logged

IC XC
NI KA
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: