OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:11:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help translating "Imperial Acclamations"  (Read 1507 times)
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: November 17, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »

One of my favorite pieces from Cappella Romana is "Imperial Acclamations for Constantine Palaiologos", I listened to it while standing in Hagia Sophia and it nearly brought me to tears.

I've been trying to listen and figure out what they are saying in Greek, and then trying to translate it into English. This is what I've gotten so far:

Χωρα τα ετη τον Βασιλεον.
Κωνσταντινου του εχει λει στρατου Βασιλεος και λα το κρατορους το Ρωμαιων του παρε λει ο μου χωρα τα ετη.
Κύριε σώσον του Βασιλις.
Και πα κουσον ημων.
Ναι αγιε.
Ο θεος νυμφος

It probably isn't entirely correct, and doesn't make a lot of sense when you translate it, can anyone help?

http://youtu.be/rmE8zGS2N2g
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:15:58 AM »

There's always this.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »

I am not really qualified to assist, but ...

"λα το κρατορους το Ρωμαιων" surely should read "aftokratoros tou Romaion" ("ruler/autocrat of the Romans"); and
"Και πα κουσον ημων" surely should read "kai ep'akouson imon" ("and hear us/hearken unto us").

Will watch the video after work and see if I can help a bit more. I'm sure someone more qualified will get to it before me, though.

Hope this helps.

PS: how's your translation going?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:43:20 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:21:29 AM »

"λα το κρατορους το Ρωμαιων" surely should read "aftokratorous to Romaion" ("ruler/autocrat of the Romans"); and
"Και πα κουσον ημων" surely should read "kai ep'akouson imon" ("and hear us/hearken unto us").

Will watch the video after work and see if I can help a bit more. I'm sure someone more qualified will get to it before me, though.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
I was using Google Translate to translate it so pretty fast, but not always accurate (like it translates Kyrie Soson as Mr. Soson)
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 12:27:56 AM »

"λα το κρατορους το Ρωμαιων" surely should read "aftokratorous to Romaion" ("ruler/autocrat of the Romans"); and

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
I was using Google Translate to translate it so pretty fast, but not always accurate (like it translates Kyrie Soson as Mr. Soson)

Haha, at least you know enough to catch such things. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:28:13 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »

One of my favorite pieces from Cappella Romana is "Imperial Acclamations for Constantine Palaiologos", I listened to it while standing in Hagia Sophia and it nearly brought me to tears.

Do you realize that he died in communion with the Latins, having sold out Orthodoxy for political help that never came?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:31:25 AM »

So this has what to do with him listening to a piece of music?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:47:12 AM »

Do you realize that he died in communion with the Latins, having sold out Orthodoxy for political help that never came?

Yeah I do, it isn't that its about him specifically, but it is part of their album on the Fall of Constantinople. Its just a beautifully sung piece.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

That and "kyrie soson tous evsevous" "Lord save the pious"
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Ah yes, thank you!

After living in Greece for 3 months and with only 2 semesters of Greek, I'm still able to pick out some words, but it has to be really slow like Byzantine Chant, I can't pick it up in conversation. (it also helps that my current teacher is also Greek and occasionally speaks either Greek or Arabic to us)
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 01:48:53 PM »

"λα το κρατορους το Ρωμαιων" surely should read "aftokratoros tou Romaion" ("ruler/autocrat of the Romans"); and

Actually, Greeks pronounce αι as "e" (like in "soufflé"), and ου as "oo" (like in "taboo"). "Aftokratoroos to Romeon, ke ep'akooson imon."

I am not Greek either, but I communicate with real Greeks every once in a while, and that's what they say. Smiley

Love never fails.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »

[...]Greeks pronounce αι as "e" (like in "soufflé"), and ου as "oo" (like in "taboo").[...]

Indeed, indeed, but I was not making an attempt at transliteration.

I would've typed in Greek text except that Her Majesty does not consider that I require multiple language input capability for the purposes of my employment, hah.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Ah yes, thank you!

After living in Greece for 3 months and with only 2 semesters of Greek, I'm still able to pick out some words, but it has to be really slow like Byzantine Chant, I can't pick it up in conversation. (it also helps that my current teacher is also Greek and occasionally speaks either Greek or Arabic to us)
Arabic?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Ah yes, thank you!

Arabic?

He lived in UAE for a few years...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: