OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 11:00:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converts: Getting used to your new name?  (Read 3499 times) Average Rating: 0
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »

My real first name (I go by a nickname) is James. Would I be able to keep that as my Christian name? I have no issue with taking a new name if necessary, but if I can stick with this as it, I'd like to.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:27:24 PM by ironchapman » Logged

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 09:38:44 PM »

My real first name (I go by a nickname) is James. Would I be able to keep that as my Christian name? I have no issue with taking a new name if necessary, but if I can stick with this as it, I'd like to.
Yeah, you totally can. There's lots of great Sts. James to chose from.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 09:43:19 PM »

No, it has to be an ethnic name of the jurisdiction that you are joining. I first wanted to choose St. Xenia but my priest slammed his fist on the table and said, "DOES THIS LOOK LIKE ROCOR TO YOU?" And so I chose a Greek saint.

Tongue
Just kidding. My priest encouraged using your already existing name, saying that we had it for some reason. You can pick a different one if you want, but staying with your name sounds perfectly okay.  Smiley

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
peteprint
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »

No, it has to be an ethnic name of the jurisdiction that you are joining. I first wanted to choose St. Xenia but my priest slammed his fist on the table and said, "DOES THIS LOOK LIKE ROCOR TO YOU?" And so I chose a Greek saint.

Tongue
Just kidding. My priest encouraged using your already existing name, saying that we had it for some reason. You can pick a different one if you want, but staying with your name sounds perfectly okay.  Smiley

laugh
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »

Tongue

LOL, thanks, for the advice guys.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »

Augustine of Hippo Smiley I'm a catechumate and I have my heart set on him. I love the 'Confessions'. I wonder how my Protestant family will react when they hear me address myself as Augustine.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2011, 09:18:33 PM »

Augustine of Hippo Smiley I'm a catechumate and I have my heart set on him. I love the 'Confessions'. I wonder how my Protestant family will react when they hear me address myself as Augustine.
I find it's best not to do things solely for the sake of shocking Protestant relatives. For this reason, I plan to stay a Joseph, and I will continue to bite my tongue whenever certain topics come up.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2011, 09:36:44 PM »

Why? You have been lucky enough to find the TRUE Church, the oldest Church, the one established by the Apostles, the one Jesus said would never fall. The bus to salvation. Why keep quiet about it? We should proclaim it and share it with others.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »

Well, I suppose it's a matter of intent. We can proclaim the truth of the Church, or we can sow controversy. I love the latter too much to trust myself not to do it. I'll explain something about Orthodoxy if I'm asked of course, but I typically limit myself to that. My parents still don't "get" the perpetual virginity of the Theotokos.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »

Well, I suppose it's a matter of intent. We can proclaim the truth of the Church, or we can sow controversy. I love the latter too much to trust myself not to do it. I'll explain something about Orthodoxy if I'm asked of course, but I typically limit myself to that. My parents still don't "get" the perpetual virginity of the Theotokos.

To be honest..I don't even know what the perpetual Virginity of the Theotokos is entirely. I'm just a catechumate.

David Garner
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2011, 01:14:23 AM »

My real first name is John (I go by my middle name).  St. John the Theologian is my Patron and that is what I am called at communion.

But I will confess, the only people who ever call me John are my priest and the staff at the doctor's office (who only know my name from my chart).

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2011, 01:32:33 AM »

Why? You have been lucky enough to find the TRUE Church, the oldest Church, the one established by the Apostles, the one Jesus said would never fall. The bus to salvation. Why keep quiet about it? We should proclaim it and share it with others.

It is an Airbus btw . . .

And why change your name, if it is a "Christian" name other than to LARP. Or if you are doing it under an act of obedience when becoming a monastic to show you are dying to the world.

The answer: none. Really I don't want to hear the "spiritual" connection stuff.

Proclaim what?

We Preach Christ crucified not the perpetual virginity of the Theotokos, icons, monasticism, etc.

Christ crucified. The rest is part of the life of the Church. They ain't in it. No need to bring it up, especially if you think it will sow division.

If they ask about more, invite them to Great Vespers.

Getting roped into the these "discussions" is rarely profitable. I only discuss such stuff here and with other Orthodox in RL.

The rest of the time, I just invite folks to stop by at 6 PM on a Saturday evening and offer to discuss whatever questions they might have afterward to the degree I can.

Triumphalism sounds all fine and dandy maybe, but it is really a bore. Acknowledging what is held in common and extending an invitation to come and see is more much profitable IMHO.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2011, 01:52:53 AM »

I already have a Greek name. Kinda sucks I wanted Vasily.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »

I think I like both my names.  My legal name is BethAnna - which means Daughter of Grace.  My Christian name is Photini, meaning Illumined One.  I get goose bumps when I hear either one spoken by someone of the True Faith.   

I'm with you, though, Tikhon, there's just something about being called by my Christian name.  Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »

When I started going to the Orthodox Church, I knew that I wanted to convert (I studied ahead of visiting my local parish and I have Orthodox relatives). I introduced myself to people by my middle name, Zechariah. I was named for the Old Testament Prophet, Zechariah. People call me: Zechariah, Zachariah, Zacharias, Zachary, Zach, etc. Tongue I dislike being called Zach. Smiley

My username zekarja is actually pronounced zekar-Yah. I called myself zekarja based off a mixture of the Hebrew Zekaryah and the German Sacharja.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 07:37:40 PM »

And why change your name, if it is a "Christian" name other than to LARP. Or if you are doing it under an act of obedience when becoming a monastic to show you are dying to the world.

Proclaim what?

We Preach Christ crucified not the perpetual virginity of the Theotokos, icons, monasticism, etc.

Christ crucified. The rest is part of the life of the Church. They ain't in it. No need to bring it up, especially if you think it will sow division.

Getting roped into the these "discussions" is rarely profitable. I only discuss such stuff here and with other Orthodox in RL.

The rest of the time, I just invite folks to stop by at 6 PM on a Saturday evening and offer to discuss whatever questions they might have afterward to the degree I can.

Triumphalism sounds all fine and dandy maybe, but it is really a bore. Acknowledging what is held in common and extending an invitation to come and see is more much profitable IMHO.

Well said as always.

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2011, 10:09:25 PM »

Proclaim what?

Amen
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »

And why change your name, if it is a "Christian" name other than to LARP.

You are such a buzz kill! Just let us have our strange and sexy names. I can't wait to see my square Protestant parents totally freak when I become Phaedrus and tell them that I am turning into a god! I know it's a good name because I can't pronounce it yet, plus my inflection is off when referring to the catechumenate, because I still have so much to learn LOL.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 10:37:47 PM »

You are such a buzz kill! Just let us have our strange and sexy names. I can't wait to see my square Protestant parents totally freak when I become Phaedrus and tell them that I am turning into a god! I know it's a good name because I can't pronounce it yet, plus my inflection is off when referring to the catechumenate, because I still have so much to learn LOL.
Not to mention the all the neo-platonism you would exhibit with such a name.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2011, 10:40:19 PM »

Only the True Old Platonism for me.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »

Only the True Old Platonism for me.

The one that Moses taught.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »

Haha, I'm pretty sure my parents don't even know my Christian name...And if I told them to call me Moses, they would probably react the same way as when I tried to go by my middle name in junior high -- with a gentle laugh and a firm, "Nope."

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »

Yeah, you totally can. There's lots of great Sts. James to chose from.

If you to go all humble, go for St. James the Less(er).

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2011, 07:25:44 PM »

Because my name is Nicholas (from the Old English neeklessen, meaning "nickle-less" or a poor person), I do not need to change my name to be more humble.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:27:02 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2011, 07:27:03 PM »

I am not a LARPer, I just like adding more and more names to my passport.  Cool

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2011, 07:47:46 PM »

Because my name is Nicholas...

You look like a Trophimus to me. Start buttoning that top button.
jaderook

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »

My legal name and my chrismation name are the same.  However, I sometimes feel that I don't live up to my name now.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: