Author Topic: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?  (Read 77773 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?
« Reply #720 on: December 23, 2015, 10:58:01 AM »
Peeve:  "Look, I'm not trying to judge (but I'm going to anyway)..."

Why not be honest and say what you have to say?

"Not to be racist, but..."
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #721 on: December 23, 2015, 11:53:47 AM »
Is "No offense, but..." also your peeve?
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #722 on: December 23, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »
Sometimes that is being honest though ;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #723 on: December 23, 2015, 01:01:24 PM »
Is "No offense, but..." also your peeve?
I love "No offense, but..." It is a classic passive aggressive technique guaranteed to annoy whoever you are secretly trying to offend.  :P
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #724 on: December 23, 2015, 01:04:14 PM »
An old journalism school maxim: " 'But' erases everything before it."
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #725 on: December 23, 2015, 01:08:04 PM »
Most of my wife's conversations with me begin "I love you, but..."   :laugh:
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #726 on: December 23, 2015, 01:29:17 PM »
Most of my wife's conversations with me begin "I love you, but..."   :laugh:

The trick is to get her to reverse the clauses. ..

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #727 on: December 23, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »
Pet Peeve #294: When people stand around the entrance to Walmart making sexist and racist statements; though no one called for genocide in the conversation today, so I suppose it isn't the worst I've heard around here...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:55:35 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #728 on: December 24, 2015, 12:39:04 AM »
Pet Peeve: Men with women avatars

OCD: Checking this forum.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #729 on: December 24, 2015, 01:03:55 AM »
Pet Peeve #294: When people stand around the entrance to Walmart making sexist and racist statements; though no one called for genocide in the conversation today, so I suppose it isn't the worst I've heard around here...

You mean people stand outside Walmart playing rap music?   :o

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #730 on: December 24, 2015, 03:29:19 AM »

You mean people stand outside Walmart playing rap music? 

No music was involved. Though there was some cheering on of a person currently running for president.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #731 on: December 24, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »

You mean people stand outside Walmart playing rap music? 

No music was involved. Though there was some cheering on of a person currently running for president.

Yeah, she does bring out the worst in people...   ;)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #732 on: December 24, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
I was going to put "Guess who it was?" but I figured I'd make you work for it--no easy prompts!  :P

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #733 on: December 24, 2015, 01:05:49 PM »
Sometimes that is being honest though ;)
True.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #734 on: January 28, 2016, 02:49:20 AM »
pet peeve: granted, I am a guest in my sister'site house, but the toys on the stairs to the basement. She has three kids: my beautiful 3 year old Lexi, sweet one year old Maya, and newborn Stockton. So you know how it is with kids. But I hate the toys on the steps.  She has rules like: Lexi likes to put this bucket on her head and run around (seriously, and it is so adorable), but she can't do it near the stairs. I just cringe a toys on the stairs. It is a tripping hazard. I have a mild phobia of stairwells--the kind in houses, not big buildings or porches.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:49:46 AM by wainscottbl »
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #735 on: January 28, 2016, 02:57:41 AM »
pet peeve: granted, I am a guest in my sister'site house, but the toys on the stairs to the basement. She has three kids: my beautiful 3 year old Lexi, sweet one year old Maya, and newborn Stockton. So you know how it is with kids. But I hate the toys on the steps.  She has rules like: Lexi likes to put this bucket on her head and run around (seriously, and it is so adorable), but she can't do it near the stairs. I just cringe a toys on the stairs. It is a tripping hazard. I have a mild phobia of stairwells--the kind in houses, not big buildings or porches.

Pet peeve:  clearing hazards in other people's homes.  I don't like doing it, but I'm not visiting to give first aid.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #736 on: January 28, 2016, 03:06:53 AM »

Pet peeve:  clearing hazards in other people's homes.  I don't like doing it, but I'm not visiting to give first aid.

Lol are you accusing me of being a rude guest or agreeing? I told my sister, you see, that she is a very careless mother and bad housekeeper and....

:P
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #737 on: January 28, 2016, 03:38:51 AM »

Lol are you accusing me of being a rude guest or agreeing? I told my sister, you see, that she is a very careless mother and bad housekeeper and....

You are now accused, henceforth and forevermore, unto ages of ages, world without end, so mote it be.

I agree.  Small things can be taken care of.  No one wants to trip down the stairs and break a neck.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #738 on: January 28, 2016, 11:53:20 AM »

You should hang around clergy meetings when we discuss "Most Dangerous House Blessings."

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #739 on: January 28, 2016, 02:21:35 PM »

You should hang around clergy meetings when we discuss "Most Dangerous House Blessings."
;D

I bet hoarder homes are fun!
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #740 on: January 28, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »

;D

No.  Mostly smelly, and very sad.  Only had one case.  There was a ray of hope: one of the kids had a room that would have made the cover of 'Better Homes and Gardens.'  She did it all on her own.

The real danger are territorial pets confronting bearded men in black outfits.  Though, at the last house, the rescue dogs the owner swore would remain cowering under the table came out and stuck to my legs like they had static cling.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #741 on: January 28, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »

No.  Mostly smelly, and very sad.  Only had one case.  There was a ray of hope: one of the kids had a room that would have made the cover of 'Better Homes and Gardens.'  She did it all on her own.

A friend of mine lived with a hoarder mom and his room was also a model of cleanliness and order. Once he went to college though the jungle consumed it.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #742 on: January 28, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »

.....Or first responders.  I think there may be about 2 or three failed attempts at using a real sentence if that happens (AND if we are competing with a flipping dog we didnt know about, or multiple cats, or both, or an ill tempered sea bass in a dilapidated house / apartment it becomes many times more obnoxious ); followed by incomprehensible foaming at the mouth,possessed like muttering, and strings of expletives.  If you have the right magic mix on a call, I can probably ramble, foam, cuss and yell like for a good hour all without ever really saying anything and only taking three breaths of air.

Also, what's with Americans and animals?  They aren't spoiled three year old mamma boys, theyr're animals.  It's good and right to love and respect the domesticated ones, but still it's like a crazy fetish with Americans.  I don't get it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:38:15 PM by William T »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #743 on: January 28, 2016, 03:44:16 PM »
also,

-Touching me to get my attention.  That sets off a flight or fight response sometimes, and I do sometimes unconsciously swing at a person when they do that...but I don't blame myself for doing that.  You really shouldn't do that.

-Being the guy who can never accept information or facts in a mundane conversation, and is always trying to debate, clarify, qualify, quantify,  "one up", or add some irrelevant information I don't care about.  Nobody cares how smart you are, how many women love you, how much you can bench, the depths of your soul, the triumphs or tragedies of your life, how fast your car can go, how good your art is, or whatever.....just be quiet and show when it is appropriate, I dont need to hear these things. Keep to the conversation at hand and keep some basic common decency, common honesty, common sense, and self respect.

I guess bartender, bouncers, and healthcare workers have a million and one pet peeves. We could probably ramble on and on about such things.  If I were to write everything down, it would probably look like some deranged manifesto.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:57:46 PM by William T »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #744 on: January 28, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
also,

-Touching me to get my attention.  That sets off a flight or fight response sometimes, and I do sometimes unconsciously swing at a person when they do that...but I don't blame myself for doing that.  You really shouldn't do that.

-Being the guy who can never accept information or facts in a mundane conversation, and is always trying to debate, clarify, qualify, quantify,  "one up", or add some irrelevant information I don't care about.  Nobody cares how smart you are, how many women love you, how much you can bench, the depths of your soul, the triumphs or tragedies of your life, how fast your car can go, how good your art is, or whatever.....just shut up and show it when it is appropriate and keep to the conversation at hand and keep some basic common decency and self respect.

I guess bartender, bouncers, and healthcare workers have a million and one pet peeves. We could probably ramble on and on about such things.  If I were to write everything down, it would probably look like some deranged manifesto.
This should be reported to police.
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #745 on: January 28, 2016, 03:59:23 PM »
I don't like the "seen" feature on Facebook Messenger. It's annoying when you message someone several days ago, they read it, and then don't respond.

Also the sound of macaroni being stirred bothers me.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #746 on: January 28, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »
also,

-Being the guy who can never accept information or facts in a mundane conversation, and is always trying to debate, clarify, qualify, quantify,  "one up", or add some irrelevant information I don't care about.  Nobody cares how smart you are, how many women love you, how much you can bench, the depths of your soul, the triumphs or tragedies of your life, how fast your car can go, how good your art is, or whatever.....just shut up and show it when it is appropriate and keep to the conversation at hand and keep some basic common decency and self respect.

I'd yell at you, but my mind wouldve gone there too.  The inner 12 year old boy never leaves.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #747 on: January 28, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »
also,

I'd yell at you, but my mind wouldve gone there too.  The inner 12 year old boy never leaves.
;D
God bless!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #748 on: January 28, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »
also,

;D

My friend and I once had the idea to write a totally awesome script as a 12 year old boy hopped up on pixie stix and gogurt would.  It turns out it was just rewriting the movie Van Helsing.

.... "And then there was Dracula! And WOE!!! A totally sweet werewolf comes up holding a totally awesome gun....AND HE'S FIGHTING FRANKENSTEIN and Van Helsing  who has the most awesome and deadly Vampire Crossbow!!!!!   WOE!!!!!" 

....I guess you can add 12 year old boys hopped up on gogurt and pixie stix to my list of pet peeves.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:21:34 PM by William T »

Offline Bluebonnet

« Reply #749 on: January 28, 2016, 04:57:38 PM »
When I go to take the trash out before work and one of my roommates says they'll get it and then it's still there when I get home. So now I have to take it out at midnight instead of the afternoon.

When people pay with cash when I'm about to close.

I need things to be clean at work, so when there is a huge rush and I don't have time to be constantly wiping down the counters I get a bit frustrated. I sing songs from the liturgy in my head to keep myself sane :D

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #750 on: January 28, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »

You are now accused, henceforth and forevermore, unto ages of ages, world without end, so mote it be.

I agree.  Small things can be taken care of.  No one wants to trip down the stairs and break a neck.

Besides, I have a mild form of bathmophibia. Fear of going up and down stairs. Seriously. And slopes I believe. You can Wiki for the specifics if you are curious. I would just post the link, but am on a phone. I do fear baths, but that is not bathmophobia. Well, I like baths, but because of seizures I am uneasy about them, which is prudent to a degree. The psychologist asked me about irrational fears, but said things like that are prudent, not a sign of illness. And in any case mild phobias, like arachnophobia are far from a sign you are crazy. But if you turn into Monk, there is a problem! Mild phobias are very normal. I would say over half the human population fears spiders. I do. So irrational! These little things, often smaller than a quarter, and rarely deadly, we have a fear of. If there were giants, would they fear us?
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #751 on: January 29, 2016, 01:40:49 AM »
I am sad that you never got the chance to be a 12 year old boy hopped up on gogurt [I didn't have Gogurt at 12, but sugary yogurt is sugary yogurt] and pixie stix.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #752 on: January 29, 2016, 01:41:39 AM »
I guess bartender, bouncers, and healthcare workers have a million and one pet peeves. We could probably ramble on and on about such things. 

Haven't done the bouncer thing, but I agree.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #753 on: January 29, 2016, 05:12:14 AM »
I am sad that you never got the chance to be a 12 year old boy hopped up on gogurt [I didn't have Gogurt at 12, but sugary yogurt is sugary yogurt] and pixie stix.

My name is Van Helsing.  I was raised on giant pixie stix.  Dracula killed my family when I was an 11 year old boy.  At the age of 12 I became a man who surfed totally awesome waves with a totally awesome crossbow slaying the undead while searching for Dracula.  That's why I think it would be totally radical to write a story about my life.  If you have any information on The Count, please PM me, I have a date with hiim.... a stake dinner.  I didn't have the luxury to be eating gogurt at 12.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:19:54 AM by William T »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #754 on: January 29, 2016, 05:31:36 AM »
If you have any information on The Count, please PM me, I have a date with hiim.... a stake dinner.

:laugh:

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #755 on: January 29, 2016, 06:09:16 AM »
People who eat STAKE....pet peeve

OCD....Facebook
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #756 on: January 29, 2016, 11:04:06 AM »

My name is Van Helsing.  I was raised on giant pixie stix.  Dracula killed my family when I was an 11 year old boy.  At the age of 12 I became a man who surfed totally awesome waves with a totally awesome crossbow slaying the undead while searching for Dracula.  That's why I think it would be totally radical to write a story about my life.  If you have any information on The Count, please PM me, I have a date with hiim.... a stake dinner.  I didn't have the luxury to be eating gogurt at 12.

You can PM Dracula if you'd like.  He's on post moderation right now.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #757 on: January 29, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »
OCD

A dirty counter or table. I hate it.

Pet peeve

Any red meat past medium well
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Seraffa

• Monastic by Charism, Mother by Birth(s), Presvytera by Marriage; Lord, Graciously Make Me Worthy!
  • "Headless" is not a big deal, because Jesus IS.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: G.O.A. of N. America
« Reply #758 on: January 29, 2016, 04:16:53 PM »
Peeves: (chemically justified) people who douse themselves with perfume or after shave 3x or more per day because they have b.o., or are hopelessly looking for a mate of some sort.

The same, above, done by Latin american men or African American men, wh repeatedly try to say"hi" to me at work or on the bus.

This, above, done by the same individuals who stop saying anything and go around with a desperate stare on their face all the time when they realize it will be a cold day in hades before they ever attract a mate.

Mega- beards, earlobe plugs, tattoosgladiator haircut and and Poindexter eyeglasses all on the same guy or girl.

Millennial Unicorns

Dishware that doesn't match

Walmart

OCD: not being able to leave home without backpack, umbrella, wallet, keys, prayer book and komvoskini - even if I've been invited to a 5 star restaurant for dinner.

Beauty Old yet ever New;
Eternal Voice and inward Word.
But above all things -- Truth beareth away the Victory.
(Whitman)

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #759 on: January 29, 2016, 04:37:29 PM »
Pet peeves:

Short sleeve dress shirts, especially with a tie

Using the same fork for salad and main course

Baggy polo shirt things. The shirt should fit well to the body. The baggy ones are vulgar and tasteless. Loose shirts in general.

OCD:

Often checking my wallet and VNS magnet is on me. Making sure the latter is in the back as far as possible, so that it does not screw up my computer again.

Making sure the table is set properly.

-Aristotle

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #760 on: January 30, 2016, 02:32:17 AM »
Pet peeves:

Something I would do in college for fun.  It irks people the right way.

Of course, if done well, it can look good.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #761 on: January 30, 2016, 04:25:52 AM »
Pet peeves:

Something I would do in college for fun.  It irks people the right way.

Of course, if done well, it can look good.

I am going to mock your outfit as a fashion expert!

Pet peeve there. The fashion police who, when a big star dresses badly, write snide little mocking comments like: it looks like she just put some mesh around her.

They can be mean. There is this one actress I had looked up. So my phone was saying I have shown an interest in her. Two or three times she wore something "ugly". They got snide in a little article on it. One was really mean. The patronized her by telling her she was beautiful but, mocking her, said she was too short for the runway. And not skinny enough. The girl is not fat.

All these comments must have hurt her. One model I am fond of was, and this is common in the industry, told she needed to watch her weight for gaining two or three pounds. She said the whole industry made her so depressed. Now she is acting, and has joyfully left the industry. I just can't stand these poor girls being hurt by a bunch of...the rules prevent me from saying the word.

People say they are spoiled and rich, so to heck with their feelings.  But they are human, and delicate. It's just plain mean.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #762 on: January 30, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »
Pet peeves:

Edited to adjust size of photo in order to allow everyone to behold, as much as their eyes can bear it, the glory that is Michael Douglas in Falling Down

Mor Ephrem, section moderator

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:57:17 AM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #763 on: January 30, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »
Pet peeve #220: The lies we tell ourselves and our children, along the lines of: 'You can be anything you want to be,' 'You can accomplish anything you set your mind to,' 'no one ever got ahead by taking shortcuts,' 'cheaters never win and winners never cheat,' 'if you're not cheatin, you're not trying,' etc.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #764 on: January 30, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
Pet peeve #220: The lies we tell ourselves and our children, along the lines of: 'You can be anything you want to be,' 'You can accomplish anything you set your mind to,' 'no one ever got ahead by taking shortcuts,' 'cheaters never win and winners never cheat,' 'if you're not cheatin, you're not trying,' etc.

Kudos.
                                                             -Aristotle