Author Topic: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?  (Read 67192 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?
« Reply #675 on: July 02, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »
Pretty commons:
Your and you're
Its and it's

But, but...!

Irregardless I personally believe that we shouldn't loose our cool alot of the time, because weather we like it or not, for all intensive purposes these people are trying they're best too do well.

LOL!  ;D

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #676 on: July 03, 2015, 12:06:32 AM »
Irregardless I personally believe that we shouldn't loose our cool alot of the time, because weather we like it or not, for all intensive purposes these people are trying they're best too do well.

I just had an aneurysm.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #677 on: July 03, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »

I just had an aneurysm.

Your joke about having an aneurysm, because I have a fear of that.  :) Seriously I do, but I am being facetious about the pet peeve.

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #678 on: July 31, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
Pet Peeve #874 and OCD #29: Why do I click the mouse button a bunch of extra times a split second after I realize that I clicked the mouse button (the first time) when I shouldn't have? Do I think I can somehow magically take back that first accidental click? Like I'm telling the computer, "Whoa whoa whoa! I didn't mean to do that!"?? Usually it just causes further damage, like closing browser windows or something.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #679 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:31 PM »
Pet Peeve #1: when people/reporters ask someone really old what they did to live to be really old. Then it's usually some stupid answer like "Well I drank two bottles of bear between 12 and 6 every day for 80 years" or "I ate a McDonalds Big Mac every day." Yeah, sorry Georgie, but that won't make you live a long time. Even if the answer sounds sensible, it's still a stupid question.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #680 on: August 05, 2015, 12:06:53 AM »
Pet Peeve #1: when people/reporters ask someone really old what they did to live to be really old. Then it's usually some stupid answer like "Well I drank two bottles of bear between 12 and 6 every day for 80 years" or "I ate a McDonalds Big Mac every day." Yeah, sorry Georgie, but that won't make you live a long time. Even if the answer sounds sensible, it's still a stupid question.

Two bottles of bear is an outstanding way to live longer; truly, only the very best can manage that.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:07:01 AM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #681 on: August 05, 2015, 07:52:21 AM »
Yous make me chuckles hahahahahahaha   true tho

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #682 on: August 05, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »
Pet Peeve - Clickbait articles that go like this: "Guy defecates onto a plate of linguini, what happens next will blow your mind..."

No, it won't blow my mind.  It will probably just bore me.  People who write articles like this should be given a fecal transplant via mechanical methods.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #683 on: August 05, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
Pet Peeve - Clickbait articles that go like this: "Guy defecates onto a plate of linguini, what happens next will blow your mind..."

No, it won't blow my mind.  It will probably just bore me.  People who write articles like this should be given a fecal transplant via mechanical methods.

You are too merciful.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #684 on: August 06, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »

The same penalty should be reserved for those who resurrect long dead threads on these boards, most especially if they don't actually add anything of value to the petrified "discussion".
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #685 on: August 14, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
Pet peeve: those odd-sized newspaper pages that make it difficult to hold sections together while reading - especially when sitting outdoors where there's a bit of a breeze. I also deliver those things and the half-size front page makes it a real pain to get into some mailboxes where I normally deliver.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #686 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »

The same penalty should be reserved for those who resurrect long dead threads on these boards, most especially if they don't actually add anything of value to the petrified "discussion".
I personally enjoy thread necromancy. It is rather interesting to read people's posts from years ago and see how they have changed on issues and posting style. Without thread necromancy, I would never have known that at one point, orthonorm actually made interesting contributions to the forum. Who would have known?  ;)
God bless!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #687 on: August 14, 2015, 03:26:18 PM »

I personally enjoy thread necromancy. It is rather interesting to read people's posts from years ago and see how they have changed on issues and posting style. Without thread necromancy, I would never have known that at one point, orthonorm actually made interesting contributions to the forum. Who would have known?  ;)

You must love Severian.  You should give him a nickel for every thread he resurrects.  ;D
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #688 on: August 14, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »

You must love Severian.  You should give him a nickel for every thread he resurrects.  ;D
How do you think Severian can afford to spend all day on the forum? He gets his financial backing from somewhere, even if it is from a dyophysite dog.
God bless!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #689 on: August 14, 2015, 03:49:43 PM »
Of course!  All the pieces fit.  This is just like the ending of The Usual Suspects.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #690 on: August 14, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »
Of course!  All the pieces fit.  This is just like the ending of The Usual Suspects.
Does this mean I can finally stop hobbling around? It was really starting to make my ankle sore.
God bless!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #691 on: August 14, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »
Does this mean I can finally stop hobbling around? It was really starting to make my ankle sore.

Only after you've killed all your co-conspirators (Mor, hecma...me) and outwitted Agent Kujan (PtA).

Offline truthseeker32

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA-Denver
« Reply #692 on: August 14, 2015, 06:26:34 PM »
Blatantly fallacious arguments, especially popular ones.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #693 on: August 23, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
Gender reveal parties.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #694 on: August 24, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »
Gender reveal parties.
This is a thing?
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #695 on: August 24, 2015, 01:01:03 PM »
Gender reveal parties.
This is a thing?

Yeah, it was on the Duggars' stupid show a while back.

They have parties where the parents decorate everything in blue or pink.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #696 on: August 24, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »
Gender reveal parties.
This is a thing?

Oh, I thought it was kind of like a party that someone throws for coming out.  Sort of like a "Suprise, I'm a woman now!" type thing.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #697 on: August 24, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »
Gender reveal parties.
This is a thing?

Oh, I thought it was kind of like a party that someone throws for coming out.  Sort of like a "Suprise, I'm a woman now!" type thing.

There are those too.  But think "baby shower" and the parents say, "Hooray, the baby is a..........cisgender racist!" Or something to that effect.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #698 on: August 24, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »
Gender reveal parties.
This is a thing?

There are those too.  But think "baby shower" and the parents say, "Hooray, the baby is a..........cisgender racist!" Or something to that effect.
I need another baby just so we can do this. Texting my wife now.
God bless!

• Merarches
« Reply #699 on: August 26, 2015, 05:45:26 AM »
High school football coaches who don't know what in the hell they're doing! Kids are getting injured because many of these coaches are teaching them how to block and tackle the wrong way. A lot of these coaches actually undo all the proper coaching the kids have received up to this point, going out of their way to teach them fundamentally unsound techniques. There really should be a law against it. I mean it. This crap is insane!

Selam
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:45:54 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #700 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:08 AM »
I deleted 24 items from my Amazon cart
and I feel fine

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #701 on: August 26, 2015, 09:24:41 AM »
High school football coaches who don't know what in the hell they're doing! Kids are getting injured because many of these coaches are teaching them how to block and tackle the wrong way. A lot of these coaches actually undo all the proper coaching the kids have received up to this point, going out of their way to teach them fundamentally unsound techniques. There really should be a law against it. I mean it. This crap is insane!

Selam

It's a gladiatorial sport. It should simply be outlawed.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #702 on: August 26, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
I love football, but I do think it would be a better sport if they got rid of the ball and just focused on running in to each other at high speeds. Of course, I suppose going for the ball is what makes watching a defenseless receiver get crushed so entertaining.
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #703 on: August 26, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
I love football, but I do think it would be a better sport if they got rid of the ball and just focused on running in to each other at high speeds. Of course, I suppose going for the ball is what makes watching a defenseless receiver get crushed so entertaining.

Rugby is kinda fun that way. They don't stop very much, unless the ball goes out of bounds. Still a ball sport, though. :)

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #704 on: August 28, 2015, 03:56:30 PM »
right now, everytime I do anything on my laptop, I get a pop up excitedly informing me I can get windows 10 for free. I don't want windows 10, windows 8.1 is quite annoying enough, and I know what an exciting upgrade means, it means I won't be able to use my computer for hours and hours and when I can, all the settings will have changed and I won't be able to find anything. But I can't get the flaming pop up to go away!!!

So yeah. That.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #705 on: August 28, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »
I had a bit of a mess with Windows 10. At first it was fine. For three or four days after I went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, things worked normally. Then, my computer would start and the screen would go completely blank. I tried to restart and update a bunch of times. So, this morning, I had the computer revert to Windows 8.1.

I've heard W10 has different effects on different computers, depending on how old they are, and how much memory they have. Brand new ones will come with it installed. My current computer's a year or so old, not bad, but I guess it didn't gel with some of the old programs in there. I'm glad I'm back to what I understand. :)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #706 on: August 29, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »
Pet Peeve #1 of this forum. When someone makes a statement and gets a response like: "Read the Philokalia, it will answer all your questions" or "read these 16 books that I recommend. All your doubts will be fixed." It isn't like someone can just hop offline, go read 14,000 pages of text, and hop back on and continue with the conversation.  >:(
God bless!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #707 on: August 30, 2015, 12:46:09 AM »
This:

"In my opinion"

Needs to stop.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #708 on: August 30, 2015, 02:59:55 AM »
I'm afraid it must persist. Most people think that some of what comes out of their mouth (or speeds around their brain) is subjective opinion, and some of it is objective fact. Until people are freed of this delusion and stop thinking this way, such phrases have a useful role. ;)

• Merarches
« Reply #709 on: August 30, 2015, 03:50:11 AM »
People who spend their lives mastering the art of criticism but never bother to offer any constructive alternatives to the things they criticize.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline RankingRico

• Faith: Eastern Christian
« Reply #710 on: August 31, 2015, 07:33:38 PM »
Life. The fact I can't control which "self" I am..

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #711 on: September 03, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »
Pet Peeve #49: When grocery stores charge more for items sold in bulk packaging than those in smaller ones. Have I said this one before? Maybe I have. Still, I though you were supposed to entice people into buying the 104 pack of yumyum waffles or whatever with a discount. At the very least don't charge MORE for the bulk one. I don't know about other places, but this is especially apparent at Walmart, where they have things like the "price per ounce" (among others) on the price tag/label, so it's easy to see the difference.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #712 on: September 03, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »
Pet Peeve #49: When grocery stores charge more for items sold in bulk packaging than those in smaller ones. Have I said this one before? Maybe I have. Still, I though you were supposed to entice people into buying the 104 pack of yumyum waffles or whatever with a discount. At the very least don't charge MORE for the bulk one. I don't know about other places, but this is especially apparent at Walmart, where they have things like the "price per ounce" (among others) on the price tag/label, so it's easy to see the difference.
I have this same lament except not in the grocery store, but rather Office Max. I was buying packing envelopes and I could buy one for $.49 or 10 for $12. I had to explain to a manager and the cashier why this was a stupid idea and they should just let me pay $4.90. Eventually, they let me do it, but it took a good 5-10 minutes of explaining.
God bless!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #713 on: November 12, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »
Pet Peeve #436
The media's insistence on using the term "throwing shade" in pretty much every article, even in places where it has no business being used like in articles about finance or articles about political figures. Can we not have some semblance of journalistic self-respect?
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #714 on: November 12, 2015, 05:35:40 PM »
journalistic self-respect?

has not existed for at least 15 years....

I blame the internet...anyone is a journalist now.   They don't even proofread anymore
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #715 on: November 12, 2015, 05:41:11 PM »
journalistic self-respect?

has not existed for at least 15 years....

I blame the internet...anyone is a journalist now.   They don't even proofread anymore
Oooh, look at DeniseDenise throwing shade on the entire internet!
God bless!

Offline christiane777

• Elder
  • and drinketh water of the raine of heauen
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #716 on: November 12, 2015, 05:44:01 PM »
People who are plugged into their devices when they walk down the street, drive their car, etc.  The inattention thing drives me nuts.  I used to avoid them when passing as a courtesy but now I just let the collision happen/not happen, as God wills.  I think it is a valuable lesson, right - the next thing coming at them could be a truck, a curb, a car.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:44:39 PM by christiane777 »
I was in the spirit on the Lords day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #717 on: December 13, 2015, 09:47:25 PM »
Anyone referring to a significant other as "bae"
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #718 on: December 14, 2015, 02:48:59 AM »
Anyone referring to a significant other as "bae"

When I hear it, I begin to feel something like what wgw must feel when he thinks of how to get rid of ISIS. 
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #719 on: December 23, 2015, 08:49:31 AM »
Peeve:  "Look, I'm not trying to judge (but I'm going to anyway)..."

Why not be honest and say what you have to say?