Author Topic: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?  (Read 75616 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
Re: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?
« Reply #540 on: July 29, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
A space between the end of a sentence and a question/exclamation mark. It annoys me to no end.

Why ?
Apparently, can smart . . has brain.

Yes, I do real Theology

I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #541 on: July 29, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »
My neighbor is pet peeving up a storm next door, lol. Thankfully he is courteous enough to not yell and complain and rant in the middle of the night. Let it all out, dear sir.
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline saint samuel

« Reply #542 on: July 29, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »
Peeves:
[potentially offensive word removed -Nephi]
White Muslims
OCD
NONE
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:21:29 PM by Nephi »
The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms Alexander Hamilton

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #543 on: July 29, 2014, 09:12:11 PM »
Pet peeve #10432 - My cycles of impulse-buying and then purging of possessions. Humbuggery.
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #544 on: September 12, 2014, 01:32:08 AM »
Mor Ephrem

Strange name, too. Pig Latin, dog Greek, monkey Russian or woman-is-a-sex English I think.
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #545 on: December 22, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »
Pet Peeve #1894: People who walk in the middle of the road (especially the main ones) at shopping centers. I took about 30 seconds to slap together this graphic...

You should be the blue. Walk along the side of the store, off the road, until you get to your aisle, then cross. DO NOT be the red, walking out into the road at the crosswalk and then meandering at 1.5mph for 3 minutes down the middle of the road until you get to your aisle, making cars wait for you the whole time. The crosswalk gives pedestrians right of way... AT THE CROSSWALK, not for the entire parking lot.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #546 on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
Pet Peeve #1894: People who walk in the middle of the road (especially the main ones) at shopping centers. I took about 30 seconds to slap together this graphic...

You should be the blue. Walk along the side of the store, off the road, until you get to your aisle, then cross. DO NOT be the red, walking out into the road at the crosswalk and then meandering at 1.5mph for 3 minutes down the middle of the road until you get to your aisle, making cars wait for you the whole time. The crosswalk gives pedestrians right of way... AT THE CROSSWALK, not for the entire parking lot.

I usually am pretty good at following the rule then. I always cross the road like a New Yorker anyway. Running across makes you look like a sissy. Only if you actually do need to run. Not unmanly to avoid getting hit! But I hate seeing people run across a busy highway/street when there is no real risk of them getting hit. It looks stupid.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Άλιεύς Ἰχθύων
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #547 on: December 23, 2014, 06:11:25 AM »
I usually am pretty good at following the rule then. I always cross the road like a New Yorker anyway. Running across makes you look like a sissy. Only if you actually do need to run. Not unmanly to avoid getting hit! But I hate seeing people run across a busy highway/street when there is no real risk of them getting hit. It looks stupid.

Those roads weren't made for walking, so that's not what I'll do.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #548 on: December 23, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »
Here in the Bay Area we run while crossing the street even when we're not in danger because the police here are very strict on "jaywalking" and it's not uncommon to get a ticket for such, even when a crosswalk isn't around.

Anyhow, another pet peeve:

-When the police violate traffic laws like speed limits, right of ways, and red lights even when they don't need to. It's an abuse of power, and a dangerous one at that. Within the past year alone there have been two instances where a police cruiser almost crashed into me. I mean, I don't mind them breaking the rules when duty calls, but these guys do it over here for no reason other than that they can.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:25:09 AM by JamesR »

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #549 on: December 23, 2014, 05:31:02 PM »
Certain Orthodox bloggers who post stuff against the common tradition of the Church, such as a masculine character given to God, seemingly just to be different and rouse the ire of others. This happens in Catholicism, too. And they usually play a game of calling their critics trolls and judgmental. It's really frustrating to deal with these people. I always think of St. Nicholas and Arius.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #550 on: December 24, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »
I don't like the American Evangelical spirit that's creeping into American Orthodoxy, especially with the whole "personal testimony" thing and big conversion story literature. It just screams narcissism and bothers me. I recognize that Orthodoxy is naturally going to take on elements from the culture of its adherents, just like it has among the heathen Greek and Middle Eastern cultures, but American Evangelical culture is something I despise and it especially bugs me to see Orthodoxy adopt elements from it.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #551 on: December 24, 2014, 01:32:40 AM »
I work in a store. Lots of times, people still come up with a bag of chips or bottle of soda, and they've already had half of it. For every person who bothers to pay for the remainder, I wonder how many don't.  >:(
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #552 on: December 24, 2014, 01:33:32 AM »
I don't like the American Evangelical spirit that's creeping into American Orthodoxy, especially with the whole "personal testimony" thing and big conversion story literature. It just screams narcissism and bothers me. I recognize that Orthodoxy is naturally going to take on elements from the culture of its adherents, just like it has among the heathen Greek and Middle Eastern cultures, but American Evangelical culture is something I despise and it especially bugs me to see Orthodoxy adopt elements from it.

Write a blog about it.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #553 on: December 24, 2014, 03:44:56 AM »
I work in a store. Lots of times, people still come up with a bag of chips or bottle of soda, and they've already had half of it. For every person who bothers to pay for the remainder, I wonder how many don't.  >:(

Seriously? What sort of place is this store in? Redneck region or the ghetto?
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #554 on: December 25, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »

Seriously? What sort of place is this store in? Redneck region or the ghetto?

It's in a town north of Tampa, Florida. Some of the issue may be that a lot of parents come in with little kids, and the kids quickly grab chips or soda, and start tearing into them. Another aspect may be that it's Christmas shopping season, and people go nuts.  :-\

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #555 on: January 26, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »
Pet Peeves:

+Delusional folks who use the term "Christian" to mean "saved, covered in the blood" Evangelicals and/or Charismatics in an exclusive sense and ask stupid questions like, "Are you Christian or Catholic?".

+The guy who gets in the left turn only lane - knowing he has no intention of actually turning left - just to try to get ahead of the motorists waiting patiently in the straight ahead lane.  Never let this guy in.  Never.

+The hipster who thinks he's just edgy and ironic enough to get away with making snide little racist jokes but has nothing but disdain for those he considers "real racists".  I'll take the "real racist" over this tool any day of the week, no matter how many Roots albums or Cuban movie posters he owns.  At least the "real racist" is honest with himself.

+People who try to defend woman beaters like Ray Rice or Chris Brown as if their behavior could ever be justified.  "But you don't know what she did to him though!  I heard..."

+Parents who think that everything their bratty kids do is wonderful and you should too.  "Oh look, Connor just spit on your Grandmother.  He does that sometimes.  Isn't he precocious?"

+The people just mentioned above, especially when they think that vaguely Celtic last names make appropriate first names for their American kids.

OCDs:

+Posting on these boards.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #556 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Pet Peeves:

+Delusional folks who use the term "Christian" to mean "saved, covered in the blood" Evangelicals and/or Charismatics in an exclusive sense and ask stupid questions like, "Are you Christian or Catholic?".

+The guy who gets in the left turn only lane - knowing he has no intention of actually turning left - just to try to get ahead of the motorists waiting patiently in the straight ahead lane.  Never let this guy in.  Never.

+The hipster who thinks he's just edgy and ironic enough to get away with making snide little racist jokes but has nothing but disdain for those he considers "real racists".  I'll take the "real racist" over this tool any day of the week, no matter how many Roots albums or Cuban movie posters he owns.  At least the "real racist" is honest with himself.

+People who try to defend woman beaters like Ray Rice or Chris Brown as if their behavior could ever be justified.  "But you don't know what she did to him though!  I heard..."

+Parents who think that everything their bratty kids do is wonderful and you should too.  "Oh look, Connor just spit on your Grandmother.  He does that sometimes.  Isn't he precocious?"

+The people just mentioned above, especially when they think that vaguely Celtic last names make appropriate first names for their American kids.

OCDs:

+Posting on these boards.
I think I am all of these, except I'm not a hipster. I just make snidely racist comments to Mor.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:22:14 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Άλιεύς Ἰχθύων
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #557 on: January 26, 2015, 01:46:17 PM »
Pet Peeves:

Worse still than the delusional are the ignorant. Some people grow up not caring all that much about religion outside there own, pick up the wrong things along the way, and just don't know any better. Within my immediate family, I've been dumbstruck by similar questions too many times and they probably don't even have the faintest clue what a "Charismatic" is.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:47:07 PM by Hawkeye »
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

• Taxiarches
« Reply #558 on: January 26, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »
I think I am all of these, except I'm not a hipster.

Wow, man.  You suck.  Hard.  Especially about that left lane thing.  ;D

It makes sense though.  It's always the dudes with the PA plates that drive like they got their license in a box of Lucky Charms.  The dudes who will break their neck to get in front of you and then go 20 mph slower than you were originally going.  What's up with that?  You're my boy on these boards Tris, but stay away from me on the roads, man!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:04:53 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #559 on: January 26, 2015, 02:11:56 PM »
I didn't read what you read real closely. I was thinking more of situations where traffic has to merge into one lane and people get outraged by the drivers who stay in the left lane up until the merge point.  There is a merge point for a reason, so people will merge at that point. There is no reason to straddle the lane and force people merge 1/2 mile before the merge point.

My other driving pet peeve is the people who drive slowly in the left lane and refuse to get over. It is usually people from MD because they are so used to traveling on the Beltway where you just move to the left so you don't have to interact with the rest of people who are constantly trying to get on an off at ramps.

/rantoff
God bless!

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #560 on: January 26, 2015, 02:13:08 PM »
I think I am all of these, except I'm not a hipster.

Wow, man.  You suck.  Hard.  Especially about that left lane thing.  ;D

It makes sense though.  It's always the dudes with the PA plates that drive like they got their license in a box of Lucky Charms.  The dudes who will break their neck to get in front of you and then go 20 mph slower than you were originally going.  What's up with that?  You're my boy on these boards Tris, but stay away from me on the roads, man!

Better a PA driver, least i can get within 20 fee tof their car and not worry about getting an STD :-P

Ontario drivers on the other hand, terrible. same with Ohio

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #561 on: January 26, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »
What sort of activities do these Ontario drivers engage in that infect people with STDs 20 feet away?
God bless!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #562 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:55 PM »
Nebraska has real decent people to share the road with.  Occasionally you get some turdwaffle who really should be sporting Iowa plates but for the most part, they aren't too slow or retarded, but not psychopaths.  My aunt drove my mother and I home from the airport in North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham area) and these people were nuts, loons, and all sorts of crazy.  I think that drive rekindled my faith in the Lord as I feared I might be seeing Him soon all the way back to the house.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #563 on: January 26, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »
I didn't read what you read real closely. I was thinking more of situations where traffic has to merge into one lane and people get outraged by the drivers who stay in the left lane up until the merge point.  There is a merge point for a reason, so people will merge at that point. There is no reason to straddle the lane and force people merge 1/2 mile before the merge point.

Well that's completely different.  I'm with you there.

My other driving pet peeve is the people who drive slowly in the left lane and refuse to get over. It is usually people from MD because they are so used to traveling on the Beltway where you just move to the left so you don't have to interact with the rest of people who are constantly trying to get on an off at ramps.

Yes!!!

Better a PA driver, least i can get within 20 fee tof their car and not worry about getting an STD :-P

Was that a dig at Jersey?  You know all the people down here spreading STDs around are really refugees from that state in your avatar, right pal?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #564 on: January 26, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »

Was that a dig at Jersey?  You know all the people down here spreading STDs around are really refugees from that state in your avatar, right pal?

You guys should work on attracting better talent instead of capitalising on others' dregs. 
Apparently, can smart . . has brain.

Yes, I do real Theology

I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

• Taxiarches
« Reply #565 on: January 26, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
You guys should work on attracting better talent instead of capitalising on others' dregs. 

We've got that covered.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #566 on: January 27, 2015, 01:46:07 AM »
Pet peeve #1 (at the moment):

People on the right who can't understand that supporting militarism and war is contrary to being Pro-Life. And people on the left who can't understand that supporting abortion is contrary to peace, social justice, and human rights. (I want to pull my hair out sometimes!)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline jewish voice

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Still dont know yet
« Reply #567 on: January 27, 2015, 02:05:14 AM »
People plastering pictures with no real rhyme or reason in threads around here. I would hope those who read this would kindly not do this to threads I start thank you  ;D

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #568 on: January 27, 2015, 02:26:16 AM »
People plastering pictures with no real rhyme or reason in threads around here. I would hope those who read this would kindly not do this to threads I start thank you  ;D

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #569 on: February 14, 2015, 07:13:52 AM »
"Internet sensation".
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #570 on: February 14, 2015, 09:32:10 PM »
"Internet sensation".
On a related pet peeve, "[fill in the blank] broke the internet"
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #571 on: February 14, 2015, 11:36:09 PM »
Taking [expletive] photos rather than enjoying the [blasphemy] moment for the sake of "remembering".

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #572 on: February 27, 2015, 02:06:53 AM »
Customer service: "I understand your frustration."

• Merarches
« Reply #573 on: February 27, 2015, 03:35:40 AM »

How many times I would have loved to hear a real person say anything to me!

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #574 on: February 27, 2015, 09:06:54 PM »

Actually we do. I was in customer service, and I at least, really meant that. But I tried to change it up a little. I did not use the stupid phrases they wanted us to use all the time because that scripted stuff sounds so fake. People want something real.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #575 on: February 27, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »

Actually we do. I was in customer service, and I at least, really meant that. But I tried to change it up a little. I did not use the stupid phrases they wanted us to use all the time because that scripted stuff sounds so fake. People want something real.

I think the frustration that reps have is having to answer the phone.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #576 on: February 28, 2015, 02:27:55 AM »

Yep. But the biggest one is a supervisor who actually loves his job. I mean really loves it. It's rather annoying. Like a Spongebob. I had one like that. I always got high marks on my calls. But he said I needed to sound like I was smiling when I was talking, which to me means all hokey. Nope, that annoys me. People who love a crappy job like a call center tech are indeed like Spongebob. Squidward, I like that guy. Poor fellow. Anyone who loves working in a burger place like Spongebob needs to be killed.

Oh, and I think Spongebob is bad for kids. I prefer they watch something like Bubba Gupies or Dora. The stuff my niece watches. Stuff that does not kill braincells. I would love to see a brain scan of someone watching Spongebob or other stupid shows. It has to be neurologically damaging over a long period.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #577 on: February 28, 2015, 02:44:55 AM »
Oh, and I think Spongebob is bad for kids. I prefer they watch something like Bubba Gupies or Dora. The stuff my niece watches. Stuff that does not kill braincells. I would love to see a brain scan of someone watching Spongebob or other stupid shows. It has to be neurologically damaging over a long period.

There are studies.  It is bad, but really all cartoons are bad for kids.  Go out and play.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #578 on: February 28, 2015, 02:47:11 AM »
My biggest pet peeve: People calling me "Pete". >:(
Not all who wander are lost.

• Merarches
« Reply #579 on: February 28, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »

I understand that. You have a blessed name, and it should be honored and respected.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #580 on: February 28, 2015, 12:36:48 PM »
1) People who jog and/or go to the gym
2) People who brag about it
3) People who do real sports.

In this order. 

Nowadays everyone seems to be jogging or lifting. If you don't sweat like a bull in heat at least twice a week in a reeking sweatpants you don't amount to anything in society these days. From the babyboomer anxious to appear young to the teenager trying to impress his equally pathetic friends, everyone is joining in on this madness. What happened to the virtues of languour and idleness?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:42:39 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #581 on: February 28, 2015, 12:58:49 PM »

Yep. But the biggest one is a supervisor who actually loves his job. I mean really loves it. It's rather annoying. Like a Spongebob. I had one like that. I always got high marks on my calls. But he said I needed to sound like I was smiling when I was talking, which to me means all hokey. Nope, that annoys me. People who love a crappy job like a call center tech are indeed like Spongebob. Squidward, I like that guy. Poor fellow. Anyone who loves working in a burger place like Spongebob needs to be killed.

They have done the brain scans, maybe not specifically of Spongebob, but of television viewing in general.  The brain goes into a passive idle mode.  Children who watch a lot of television neurologically train their brain to attend to something only for the duration between commercials. 
Educators have found that children in the classroom now only have that length of attention span when learning, so they have to gear their teaching in short bursts.

So the children who are raised with the benefit of little to no television are put in public school classrooms largely made up of low attention span children, who set the pace for learning. 
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #582 on: February 28, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »

LOL. I've never understood the hissy fit you throw every time someone calls you Pete. Pete is merely a diminutive of Peter, which in itself is a diminutive of Petrus. Peter already is a diminutive.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #583 on: February 28, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »
(Assuming it's really his name) he just doesn't like the sound of it. I know when I was very young I hated to hear a certain diminutive of my name. It was just how it sounded -- that's part of life.

A name is an important part of ourselves, and we invest a good deal more perception and emotion into it than some may realize.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:21:26 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #584 on: February 28, 2015, 01:29:05 PM »
(Assuming it's really his name)

AFAIK it's only the name of his patron saint.