Author Topic: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?  (Read 69783 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?
« Reply #450 on: June 30, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »
The whole concept of "life hacks".

"You're eating cheese wrong!"

"You're slicing cake wrong!"

"You're folding clothes wrong!"

Just shut up.   I hate the internet sometimes.
I love you, hecma.  :-*
God bless!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #451 on: June 30, 2014, 10:04:02 PM »

Humph. Women and their fancy super powers.
get rekt, nerd

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #452 on: July 03, 2014, 09:12:43 PM »

Yes, my mom's way is apparently the one way by her own declaration. I am going to guess it is going to be the same with my wife. My way looks neat and everything, but apparently it is wrong.
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #453 on: July 03, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »

Yes, my mom's way is apparently the one way by her own declaration. I am going to guess it is going to be the same with my wife. My way looks neat and everything, but apparently it is wrong.
I find it quite useful to intentionally do things incorrectly.  After folding about 3 shirts the wrong way, my wife gets visibly annoyed and yells "Just let me do it". She then mumbled under her breath about her incompetent husband as I wander off to chat on oc.net.  ;D
God bless!

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #454 on: July 03, 2014, 11:00:44 PM »
I find it quite useful to intentionally do things incorrectly.  After folding about 3 shirts the wrong way, my wife gets visibly annoyed and yells "Just let me do it". She then mumbled under her breath about her incompetent husband as I wander off to chat on oc.net.  ;D

Ah yes . . . feigning incompetence.  My husband would do that too.  I'd get, "But you do it so much better than I do."  Clever you menfolk . . . very clever!  :)

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #455 on: July 03, 2014, 11:06:56 PM »
People stating the obvious.  Walked into a Bible study once holding a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee (the cup had their logo on it) and the guy next to me asked me, "Is that Dunkin Donuts coffee?"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #456 on: July 03, 2014, 11:07:04 PM »

Ah yes . . . feigning incompetence.  My husband would do that too.  I'd get, "But you do it so much better than I do."  Clever you menfolk . . . very clever!  :)
I find it most effective to volunteer and then just do it terribly. If I protest and say she can do it better, then she knows that I'm trying to get out of it.  It is all about psychological warfare.  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #457 on: July 03, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »
People stating the obvious.  Walked into a Bible study once holding a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee (the cup had their logo on it) and the guy next to me asked me, "Is that Dunkin Donuts coffee?"

It's a legitimate question.  I walk around with Dunkin' Donuts coffee cups just filled to the brim with bourbon.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #458 on: July 03, 2014, 11:49:06 PM »

I find it most effective to volunteer and then just do it terribly. If I protest and say she can do it better, then she knows that I'm trying to get out of it.  It is all about psychological warfare.  :laugh:

It's also important to do it very slowly.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #459 on: July 07, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
The longer I live, the more I dislike southern accents.  I wonder why that is.
God bless!

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #460 on: July 07, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »
Southern? As in Australian?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #461 on: July 07, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »
Southern as in southeastern US, although Australian accents also annoy me.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #462 on: July 08, 2014, 09:20:56 AM »
Ooooooweeee, boy, you jest donno, you jest don't KNOW.  They ain't no shrimps on no barbies here.  Now dat Barbie, down by the holler,  mmm-mmmm. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #463 on: July 08, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
Ooooooweeee, boy, you jest donno, you jest don't KNOW.  They ain't no shrimps on no barbies here.  Now dat Barbie, down by the holler,  mmm-mmmm. 
Exactly my point.  The weird thing was when I was in high school, I was infatuated with southern culture. I dreamed about moving to the deep South. I wore confederate kepis around which brought many odd looks from my Pennsylvania neighbors. Now, they all just annoy me.  I handle insurance litigation and I've noticed that people down south seem to be much more willing to try to get insurance money for "injuries" that don't actually exist. There seems to be a degree of laziness and mooching that is less apparent in the North outside of cesspools like Chicago, Philadelphia, the Bronx and the entire state of West Virginia.  Thus endeth my stereotypical rant on Southerners.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #464 on: July 08, 2014, 10:15:18 AM »
Exactly my point.  The weird thing was when I was in high school, I was infatuated with southern culture. I dreamed about moving to the deep South. I wore confederate kepis around which brought many odd looks from my Pennsylvania neighbors. Now, they all just annoy me.  I handle insurance litigation and I've noticed that people down south seem to be much more willing to try to get insurance money for "injuries" that don't actually exist. There seems to be a degree of laziness and mooching that is less apparent in the North outside of cesspools like Chicago, Philadelphia, the Bronx and the entire state of West Virginia.  Thus endeth my stereotypical rant on Southerners.

I'm sorry that your only contact with Southern culture is through insurance litigation.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #465 on: July 08, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »

I'm sorry that your only contact with Southern culture is through insurance litigation.
It isn't my only contact, but it sure is a pretty high amount of it.  Perhaps it has soured my view of the region. It gets to the point that I hear that Southern accent on the phone and I just want to reach through the phone and give them a good strong Yankee slap.  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #466 on: July 08, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »
The longer I live, the more I dislike southern accents.  I wonder why that is.
Southern? As in Australian?hmm
Ooooooweeee, boy, you jest donno, you jest don't KNOW.  They ain't no shrimps on no barbies here.  Now dat Barbie, down by the holler,  mmm-mmmm.  
Exactly my point.  The weird thing was when I was in high school, I was infatuated with southern culture. I dreamed about moving to the deep South. I wore confederate kepis around which brought many odd looks from my Pennsylvania neighbors. Now, they all just annoy me.  I handle insurance litigation and I've noticed that people down south seem to be much more willing to try to get insurance money for "injuries" that don't actually exist. There seems to be a degree of laziness and mooching that is less apparent in the North outside of cesspools like Chicago, Philadelphia, the Bronx and the entire state of West Virginia.  Thus endeth my stereotypical rant on Southerners.

It isn't my only contact, but it sure is a pretty high amount of it.  Perhaps it has soured my view of the region. It gets to the point that I hear that Southern accent on the phone and I just want to reach through the phone and give them a good strong Yankee slap.  :laugh:
I field a lot of calls from people that should just not have access to the phone or internet.  A slap from their momma would suffice.

If we were ever to get a beer IRL, I will be sure to talk as loudly and as hickly as possible so I can see what gnashing of teeth looks like.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:29:35 AM by hecma925 »

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #467 on: July 09, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »

Which side to you defend? I myself would rather defend the guy suing the insurance company, but I do get annoyed at those commercials aimed at the low class for ridiculous lawsuits. They always come on the TV channels most likely to be watched by the working class or welfare class. And I am not trying to knock either class, but they are more likely to want to sue over civil grievances that do not exist. I'm thinking of law school but there are two areas I do not want to put myself in--tax law or being a TV injury lawyer. I'd rather be a public defender for thugs who rob grandmothers.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #468 on: July 09, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »

Which side to you defend? I myself would rather defend the guy suing the insurance company, but I do get annoyed at those commercials aimed at the low class for ridiculous lawsuits. They always come on the TV channels most likely to be watched by the working class or welfare class. And I am not trying to knock either class, but they are more likely to want to sue over civil grievances that do not exist. I'm thinking of law school but there are two areas I do not want to put myself in--tax law or being a TV injury lawyer. I'd rather be a public defender for thugs who rob grandmothers.
We represent emergency responders like fire departments and ambulance companies who get sued for everything from people not happy that the fire department didn't show up while they were still on the phone with 911 reporting the fire to complaints that the ambulance crew that saved their life drove over their lawn and caused ruts.

And yes, those are two real claims.  People are stupid.
God bless!

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #469 on: July 09, 2014, 06:17:13 PM »
-People who compare taking care of their dogs to taking care of a child and the whole urban hipster pet culture itself. There's nothing cute about your little hairball climbing all over the couches and licking me against my will.

-Barbers who keep talking.

-Overweight people who, because they are upset over their fatness, have to convince themselves that they are healthier by eating organic foods and shopping at these overpriced hipster health nut stores like Whole Foods and Sunflower Market or whatever. They often boast to other people about how they eat only organic food or how we should use the healthy vitamin enriched rice or carb free thing or whatever. Hey, guess what? I don't care. Apparently it isn't doing you much good if you're still overweight. And how'd you like it if I came over to your house for dinner and starting telling you how to exercise to lose weight?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #470 on: July 09, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »

Traditional part of the job. Doesn't mean they like you.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #471 on: July 09, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »

Seriously!  I read an article yesterday about "awesome life hacks" which included basic instructions on how to clean a tile floor.  Since when did basic cleanliness become a "life hack"? What was the non-hack option? To leave all the grime build up on the floor until Health and Human Services show up to condemn your property?
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #472 on: July 10, 2014, 01:28:49 AM »

My pet peeve is not finding a normal barber shop.  I don't need a salon, I don't need a lot of TVs playing crap on ESPN, and I don't need extra perks while I wait.  I just want an old place that smells of hair tonic and Pinaud Clubman; a place that doesn't even have a vacuum cleaner - barbers just sweep; and a place where everyone waits to get their hair cut by the oldest barber there, the one that still uses straight razors and gives perfect haircuts...all while talking.

Really JamesR, all you have to say is "Mhmmm," a few times.  Maybe throw in a "Geez," or "I don't believe it," once in a while.  He'll do the rest.  It's better than TV.  Old barbershops are the place to be to learn a thing or two about a local community.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #473 on: July 10, 2014, 01:30:09 AM »

Seriously!  I read an article yesterday about "awesome life hacks" which included basic instructions on how to clean a tile floor.  Since when did basic cleanliness become a "life hack"? What was the non-hack option? To leave all the grime build up on the floor until Health and Human Services show up to condemn your property?

I saw something on Facebook...it was "Mind-blowing lifehacks" related to eating an apple or something.  I didn't bother clicking on it.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #474 on: July 10, 2014, 01:35:27 AM »

My pet peeve is not finding a normal barber shop.  I don't need a salon, I don't need a lot of TVs playing crap on ESPN, and I don't need extra perks while I wait.  I just want an old place that smells of hair tonic and Pinaud Clubman; a place that doesn't even have a vacuum cleaner - barbers just sweep; and a place where everyone waits to get their hair cut by the oldest barber there, the one that still uses straight razors and gives perfect haircuts...all while talking.

Really JamesR, all you have to say is "Mhmmm," a few times.  Maybe throw in a "Geez," or "I don't believe it," once in a while.  He'll do the rest.  It's better than TV.  Old barbershops are the place to be to learn a thing or two about a local community.

You're so right. It's not worth living in a town without a decent barbershop.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #475 on: July 10, 2014, 03:35:57 AM »
I once was going to attend a wedding and needed a haircut.  I drove an hour and a half to a barbershop I knew would give me a good haircut.  It was worth it.  Even with the drive (gas/time) it still was a better deal.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #476 on: July 10, 2014, 08:47:03 AM »
I have cut my own hair for the last 12 years or so and before that, I had friends do it.  I wouldn't even know what to do at a barbershop.  Why would they need straight razors?
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #477 on: July 10, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »
I have cut my own hair for the last 12 years or so and before that, I had friends do it.  I wouldn't even know what to do at a barbershop.  Why would they need straight razors?

Yeah I lived in your area for a few years. Worst hairdos outside Canada. Tried every barbershop in two counties. Gosh was I glad to move.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #478 on: July 10, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »

Yeah I lived in your area for a few years. Worst hairdos outside Canada. Tried every barbershop in two counties. Gosh was I glad to move.
Why dost thou make a mockery of our hair, brother Porter?  ;D

God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #479 on: July 10, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »
:)

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #480 on: July 11, 2014, 01:20:11 AM »

Poor, unknowing soul.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #481 on: July 11, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »
Women barbers...or whatever you are supposed to call them in what is supposed to be a BARBER SHOP. All women working there and no men. If I want women I will go to a salon and then I want the woman over the gay guy. But since all I want is a nice Roman cut, I can go to a barber. I look horrible with a beard or long hair. Some guys can pull it off but I am more antique Roman than Dane. I am glad I do not have to enter the clergy. The women do a good job since it is a simple cut but it's just that I like the old barber shops, too. But if JamesR is getting his cut by women I can understand he might want them to shut up. It's really nothing against women. I just don't want them cutting my hair. I've got a maxim:

"Men up top, women down below."
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #482 on: July 11, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »
I'm hoping your motto sounds better in Danish.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #483 on: July 11, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
:laugh:
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #484 on: July 11, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »
I am glad I do not have to enter the clergy.

So are we.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

...if you feel Mor really is in spiritual danger, pray the Jesus prayer for him.   :police:

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #485 on: July 11, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »

How about Latin:

Supra homines, infra mulieribus.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #486 on: July 11, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
That's Google translator with me changing the English a little to best transliterate to Latin. Not saying it's very great Latin. I've been putting off learning it for years.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #487 on: July 11, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
But here is the Danish:

Mænd på toppen, kvinder dernede.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #488 on: July 11, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
But here is the Danish:

Nope. Still makes me cringe.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #489 on: July 11, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
But here is the Danish:

Why? Because it is vulgar? How about the Latin? Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_profanity
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #490 on: July 11, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
But here is the Danish:

Why? Because it is vulgar? How about the Latin? Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_profanity

I'm trying to find the "impressed" emoticon.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #491 on: July 11, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
Pet peeve. People who cannot find the impressed ( ???) emoticon.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #492 on: July 11, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »
Maybe they hid it with the "[irony]" tags.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #493 on: July 13, 2014, 03:11:05 AM »
The word ::) "glamping".

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2014, 03:12:02 PM »
Someone listening to their electronic device too loud, from television to cell phone to IPad or whatever. Like my dad. Has the TV up way too loud and refuses to turn down his cell phone when he is listening to videos and I am watching TV or something. If I am with others I make sure I either have headphones on or turn it down. He refuses to turn it down or use headphones. It is embarassing in public as I feel it is rude. McDonalds has free internet but it does not mean you should listen to the video someone sent you at full blast. People do not want to hear what you are listening, too. I can't seem to get him to understand simple manners. He says it's their problem or he doesn't care about them.
                                                             -Aristotle