Author Topic: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?  (Read 80133 times)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
Re: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »
The terms "pet peeve" and "the n-word."  Also, talking on the phone with anybody longer than 10 minutes.  This includes with a family member.
I think we might be the same person in an alternate universe.  :D

It's a sight to behold.  I start sighing, looking at the timer on the phone, and rolling my eyes. 
I just go into "uh-huh" mode.  Eventually they get the hint that the only response I'm giving is "uh-huh" and end the call.

Fine.  I get it.  I'll never call either of you again.  Happy?
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2013, 09:21:46 AM »
The terms "pet peeve" and "the n-word."  Also, talking on the phone with anybody longer than 10 minutes.  This includes with a family member.

It's a sight to behold.  I start sighing, looking at the timer on the phone, and rolling my eyes. 
I just go into "uh-huh" mode.  Eventually they get the hint that the only response I'm giving is "uh-huh" and end the call.

Uh-huh
God bless!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the frozen tundra of lambeau field
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2013, 09:23:25 AM »

Uh-huh

Wellllllll... I guess I'll let you go! Buh bye!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #228 on: August 29, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »

Uh-huh

Wellllllll... I guess I'll let you go! Buh bye!
Uh-huh.  ;)
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »

*sigh* ::) ::) ::)
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »
You KNOW it is serious when it warrants THREE eyerolls!
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »

I was on the phone with my wife, blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh, my beloved, and I could not stand being on the phone when I saw the length of the call get to the 11-minute mark.  There were a minimum of three eyerolls.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »

I was on the phone with my wife, blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh, my beloved, and I could not stand being on the phone when I saw the length of the call get to the 11-minute mark.  There were a minimum of three eyerolls.

I can't stand being on the phone beyond, "Hello?  Oh, okay...let me hand the phone to my wife".  There are two things about this that make it extremely challenging--1) when it's my wife on the other end of the line, and 2) my wife has a veritable phobia of the phone.  Life really IS interesting. ;D
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »

I can't stand being on the phone beyond, "Hello?  Oh, okay...let me hand the phone to my wife".  There are two things about this that make it extremely challenging--1) when it's my wife on the other end of the line, and 2) my wife has a veritable phobia of the phone.  Life really IS interesting. ;D

Phone phobia you say?  Hmmm, so does she scream in terror and run when you try to give her the phone?  Solution to problem 1:  place the phone on the counter and say, "Honey, it's for you," and leave.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »

Phone phobia you say?  Hmmm, so does she scream in terror and run when you try to give her the phone?  Solution to problem 1:  place the phone on the counter and say, "Honey, it's for you," and leave.
hecma is a clever devil, isn't he?  ;D
God bless!

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »

I was on the phone with my wife, blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh, my beloved, and I could not stand being on the phone when I saw the length of the call get to the 11-minute mark.  There were a minimum of three eyerolls.

I can't stand being on the phone beyond, "Hello?  Oh, okay...let me hand the phone to my wife".  There are two things about this that make it extremely challenging--1) when it's my wife on the other end of the line, and 2) my wife has a veritable phobia of the phone.  Life really IS interesting. ;D

Phone phobia you say?  Hmmm, so does she scream in terror and run when you try to give her the phone?  Solution to problem 1:  place the phone on the counter and say, "Honey, it's for you," and leave.
hecma is a clever devil, isn't he?  ;D
Without equal.  ;D  From earwax to horsemeat to psychiatry....truly a maze.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:35:51 AM by J Michael »
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:28 AM »

I was on the phone with my wife, blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh, my beloved, and I could not stand being on the phone when I saw the length of the call get to the 11-minute mark.  There were a minimum of three eyerolls.

I can't stand being on the phone beyond, "Hello?  Oh, okay...let me hand the phone to my wife".  There are two things about this that make it extremely challenging--1) when it's my wife on the other end of the line, and 2) my wife has a veritable phobia of the phone.  Life really IS interesting. ;D

Phone phobia you say?  Hmmm, so does she scream in terror and run when you try to give her the phone?  Solution to problem 1:  place the phone on the counter and say, "Honey, it's for you," and leave.
hecma is a clever devil, isn't he?  ;D
Without equal.  ;D  From earwax to horsemeat to psychiatry....truly a maze.
Aw, shucks, you guys...Wait, a devil!?  {Begin rant and rave on heresy and toll houses and horses smoothie blended with chotkis.}
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:37:50 AM by hecma925 »

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
When a bunch of women keep telling each other how "beautiful" they are.  Why not just say, "Hey, I like the new hair" or whatever.  Better yet, tell the truth.  I occasionally look at my wife's FB and its nauseating.  Lady changes color of hair to something between a solid evenly distributed neon orange and what is supposed to be blonde highlights which looks hideous and she gets 207 replies of, "Girl, you look sooo gorgeous!", "I love you hunny", and  "You are beautiful!"  

A bunch of guys would respond to with, "Dude, what did you do?" or "Rofl!  What bet did you have to pay?"

Women see it as making people feel better.  Men see it as telling a lie.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:34:25 PM by Kerdy »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »
When a bunch of women keep telling each other how "beautiful" they are.  Why not just say, "Hey, I like the new hair" or whatever.  Better yet, tell the truth.  I occasionally look at my wife's FB and its nauseating.  Lady changes color of hair to something between a solid evenly distributed neon orange and what is supposed to be blonde highlights which looks hideous and she gets 207 replies of, "Girl, you look sooo gorgeous!", "I love you hunny", and  "You are beautiful!"  

A bunch of guys would respond to with, "Dude, what did you do?" or "Rofl!  What bet did you have to pay?"

lol, so true!  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2013, 05:53:24 PM »

lol, so true!  :laugh:

LOL! +1

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
Hey, orange hair is da bomb!!  8)
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2013, 12:35:22 AM »
Pet peeve #102: When people--especially adults on national television--use phrases like "put on your big boy pants" or "take a big boy pill."

• Merarches
« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2013, 01:21:37 AM »
Hey, orange hair is da bomb!!  8)

On some people, definitely. You do it justice.  :)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2013, 03:10:36 AM »
People who value abstract political ideology over the wellbeing of individuals made in the image and likeness of God. This can apply to various matters, but I especially find it in politics. I also don't like when people leave toothpaste stains in the sink, unwashed dishes in the kitchen, when women dye their hair an entirely different color even though they looked better before, fingerprints on a computer and/or cellphone screen, and when badly translated Orthodox service books and/or Resurrection Icons erroneously translate "Hades" into Hell.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #244 on: September 16, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »
People that say a baby is "so stinking cute."  Also, the use of the term "preggers" or "prego", rather than "pregnant."  It makes me want to hurl.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
People that say a baby is "so stinking cute."  Also, the use of the term "preggers" or "prego", rather than "pregnant."  It makes me want to hurl.
I can see our friendship is about to rapidly unravel. First tatoos, now this. 
God bless!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »

It's your duty as a "hubby" to go along with these  ;D

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2013, 03:47:22 PM »

Sorry, man, but I'm with Hecma on this.  First Chalcedon, and now this...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »
Oh snap!  All my "friends" are deserting me in this most desperate hour.  I need to go find a prego woman and ask her to show me her stinking cute baby when it comes to salve my wounds.  Nothing heals wounds like stinking cute babies.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:41:32 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
I guess the bromance wasn't what you thought it was, broseph.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #250 on: September 16, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »
I'm gonna go sit an sulk in the Orthodox-Protestant discussion forum in hopes that some zealous protestant fundamentalist wanders by and wants to be my friend.  They never care about such things.   :'(
God bless!

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #251 on: September 16, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »
I'm gonna go sit an sulk in the Orthodox-Protestant discussion forum in hopes that some zealous protestant fundamentalist wanders by and wants to be my friend.  They never care about such things.   :'(
Please don't force us to tell you what they do care about  ;).

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #252 on: September 16, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »
lol, but I want to know how I can get sucked up into space during the rapture! so far, the Orthodox Church has been woefully lacking in explaining how that happens.
God bless!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #253 on: September 16, 2013, 06:54:21 PM »
want to know how I can get sucked up into space during the rapture! so far, the Orthodox Church has been woefully lacking in explaining how that happens.

True, Orthodox theologicals really do a poor job speculating about space elevators:police:

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »
Officials and politicians who one tragedy after another tell us that, "Lesson will/have been learned". It appears either at best wishful thinking or a mantra suggested as appropriate to the occasion by some useless PR person.

They will say exactly the same thing next time and the time after that.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #255 on: September 16, 2013, 08:12:15 PM »
lol, but I want to know how I can get sucked up into space during the rapture! so far, the Orthodox Church has been woefully lacking in explaining how that happens.
A good surprise never hurt anyone  :D.

• Merarches
« Reply #256 on: September 17, 2013, 04:21:48 AM »
~ People who don't say "thank you" when you hold the door open for them.

~ People still shooting fire crackers a week after the 4th of July. (In fact, the 4th of July itself is a pet peeve of mine.)

~ Slow drivers in the left lane.

~ Poor tippers.

~ People who judge others for being judgmental.

~ People who play their music loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear.

~ Immodest dress during Divine Liturgy.

~ People that talk on their cell phones in a movie theatre.

OK, do I sound like a grumpy old man yet?  :-[

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2013, 05:01:12 AM »
beardless bishops

organs

devil chairs  ;D

pesky things in the bible such as

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."

uh ohhhh

:-X :-X :-X

I feel especially sorry for the super posters  ;)

oh yes, back to idle talk pet peeves

I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2013, 06:42:01 AM »
Every time I hear "preggers" or "prego", I think of Prego spaghetti sauce, which I find disgusting, hence me wanting to hurl.  Babies and spaghetti sauce do not go together.  I'll have to ask a Freemason what goes well with babies.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »
Prego sauce is far superior to Ragu. Not that that's saying much, but still.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
I haven't had homemade tomato sauce in a decade, only the bottled stuff.  I wish I knew authentic Italians, and not the faketalians NY is full of.  I knew some back in the day and used to eat happily from their table, but we lost touch.  :'(

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
I haven't had homemade tomato sauce in a decade, only the bottled stuff.  I wish I knew authentic Italians, and not the faketalians NY is full of.  I knew some back in the day and used to eat happily from their table, but we lost touch.  :'(

There are no authentic Italians anymore.  I think they used to be called Etruscans, no? ;D

Offline orthodox4life

• Ancient Orthodox Faith
« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »
My pet peeves:

1) Driving slow in the fast lane
2) Shoppers stopping in the middle of an aisle not letting other shoppers by
3) Putting the toilet paper on the spool backwards
4) Men having to raise the toilet sit. I mean why shouldn't women have to lower it?

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
My pet peeves:

4) Men having to raise the toilet sit. I mean why shouldn't women have to lower it?

Yeah, I hate it when the cardboard is on the outside.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:19:23 PM by hecma925 »

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »
My pet peeves:

Yeah, I hate it when the cardboard is on the outside.

Ouch!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »

We do. Guys leave it up, girls leave it down. :P
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »
If I have to put up with just the bottled stuff, Bertolli gets my vote.  And for the record, my wife hates the terms "preggers" and "prego" just as much as I do, if not more so.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2013, 02:15:05 PM »
f I have to put up with just the bottled stuff, Bertolli gets my vote.  And for the record, my wife hates the terms "preggers" and "prego" just as much as I do, if not more so.

She must be a fine lady.  "Preggers" and "prego" simply don't sound mature, which is funny since both "words" refer to a condition directly related to at least one type of maturity. 

Never tried Bertolli, will have to remember that. 

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »
Accents. I don't like them. Can't people learn to talk properly?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #269 on: September 17, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »
People that don't like accents. ::)  In this example, "accents" = not speaking the way you do.