Author Topic: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?  (Read 81142 times)

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
Re: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2012, 01:47:20 AM »
People who drive with their headlights on high...all the time.  These were designed for when away from the city lights and it's dark.  Not when you are riding my bumper down main street.
I suspect this is do to the fact that the driver discovered the car's low beams went out and he/she is using the high beams until the weekend when he/she can get to an auto supply store to get new lamps.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2012, 01:59:20 AM »
People who drive with their headlights on high...all the time.  These were designed for when away from the city lights and it's dark.  Not when you are riding my bumper down main street.

shoot, i thought that was illegal

It is because it's dangerous, but try telling that to 87 year old Betty or 19 year old Mike, neither of which can drive.

Evidently I am high. I didn't see high, sorry. I really think my screen is playing tricks on my or I am coming further undone neurologically.

My sincerest apologies.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2012, 02:05:06 AM »
When people grumble and say, “It isn’t your place to judge.”  Firstly, it kind of is when you think about it.  We are told to hold one another accountable.  Secondly, no one is passing final judgment on anyone, that’s Gods job.  We just make observations based on what is presented and construct an analysis.  Thirdly, only people in a position of authority and power are able to pass the judgment being complained about.  Fourthly, people are judged every day for a variety of reasons.  You don’t get to pick and choose what you don’t want to be judged about. 

The “it isn’t your place to judge" admonishment is one that I certainly pay attention to and I certainly go into self evaluation mode. I take it to mean that I do not have a good understanding of the situation.

I understand the observation versus judgement distinction, but an “it isn’t your place to judge" remains appropriate if you decide to verbalize your observation.

You don't get to pick and choose what you don’t want to be judged about but you have every right to fight against misrepresentation. The  “it isn’t your place to judge" tact is perhaps too tactful for you.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
  • On hiatus for the foreseeable future.
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2013, 01:55:07 PM »
One pet peeve of mine: names that don't follow the rules of English. Example: there are two women at my work to have normal names, but spell them so that the pronunciation no longer makes sense; Tonni and Joddi. Looking at those names, you think they'd be pronounced "Tawny" and "Jawdy" but nope; they're just "Tony" and "Jody."  :-\

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »
One pet peeve of mine: names that don't follow the rules of English. Example: there are two women at my work to have normal names, but spell them so that the pronunciation no longer makes sense; Tonni and Joddi. Looking at those names, you think they'd be pronounced "Tawny" and "Jawdy" but nope; they're just "Tony" and "Jody."  :-\

I would have tried to call them "Tawn-knee" and "Jawd-Dee" at the beginning, and then simplify the pronunciation to yours once they get to know me.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2013, 12:42:39 AM »
When I use a $100 dollar bill to buy something at the store and the clerk holds the bill up into the light to check if it is real or not. Do I look like the type of guy who would pay you with a fake $100 dollar bill?

When I go to Costco and the workers in the grocery section refuse to give me samples because "my parents aren't there"....It's humiliating. I'm practically a man.

Good reason for growing a beard.  :police: And, you will not have to worry about nicking yourself and wearing a bandage or piece of toilet paper to stop the bleeding.

When the drinking vent on my metal coffee cup gets clogged and messes up the flow of coffee entering my mouth, only to suddenly unclog moments later where I am unexpectedly met with an overwhelmingly hot stream of coffee gushing forth into my mouth, burning my throat.

When I am in a public restroom using one of the men's urinals and instead of using one of the countless other available urinals in the room, the next man who walks in HAS to take the urinal right "next-door" to mine. Seriously. There are so many others. Couldn't you use one that is at least one vacant urinal away from my urinal? I can't pee in peace knowing that some perv might be looking at my junk...

Lord have mercy.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »
Pet peeve #1334: People who say to young people things like: "you can be anything you want to be." What a horrible delusion to fill their heads with.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
Pet Peeve #14: People who post/forward/share stuff on social networking sites (or email), with the paragraph ending with something like "If you REALLY love armed forces vets you will forward this!!!!!" or "If you are my friend you will share this!" or "If you want to prevent poverty email this to at least 10 friends!"  

No.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:18:48 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Tikhon29605

• High Elder
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
People who constantly post pictures of food on Facebook.  Why?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »
Commercials on the Internet.  I can't tell you how furious it makes me.  Commercials are one of the many reasons I rarely watch TV and when I do, it's usually a channel without commercials.  If I'm paying for the service, I don't want commercials.  If its free, I live with commercials.  Like Pandora, Hulu or Netflix. 

I'm like that too. I hate it when I'm waiting to watch a good new music thing or some cute footage of cats, and that sign comes up, 'you may skip ad in 15 seconds.' What? I didn't even ask for it!

Why not download the adblock plugin for Firefox or Chrome? It's free and you never get ads again, not even on YouTube.

You've just saved my sanity and mental health. I love you. :-*
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline spyridon

« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
I must get this 'adblock'. This could seriously improve my quality of life.

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »
Commercials on the Internet.  I can't tell you how furious it makes me.  Commercials are one of the many reasons I rarely watch TV and when I do, it's usually a channel without commercials.  If I'm paying for the service, I don't want commercials.  If its free, I live with commercials.  Like Pandora, Hulu or Netflix. 

I'm like that too. I hate it when I'm waiting to watch a good new music thing or some cute footage of cats, and that sign comes up, 'you may skip ad in 15 seconds.' What? I didn't even ask for it!

Why not download the adblock plugin for Firefox or Chrome? It's free and you never get ads again, not even on YouTube.

You've just saved my sanity and mental health. I love you. :-*
I'll have to check it out

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »
My new pet peeve is when I go to the beach, and try to walk on the pedestrian lane of the bike/ped path, there are ALWAYS cyclists in the ped lane, to the point where I sometimes have to get off the path altogether to avoid them.  >:(

Yet if a pedestrian gets in a bike lane, all hell breaks loose, because bicyclists are, apparently, superior to the rest of humanity.  ::)
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »
Pet hates? People who don't cut the skin off cucumber and the heel off bread when making cucumber sandwiches. ;D

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »
When you see some one clearly touching a cold sore on their lip and then they try to shake your hand our hand you something. Heck No! I don't want cold sores.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
Pet Peeve #14: People who post/forward/share stuff on social networking sites (or email), with the paragraph ending with something like "If you REALLY love armed forces vets you will forward this!!!!!" or "If you are my friend you will share this!" or "If you want to prevent poverty email this to at least 10 friends!"  

No.
I hate emotional manipulation of any kind, and my parents are masters of it.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »
You have no idea how many of my students have ridiculous spellings of their names. I want to go back in time and remind their parents that none of these children are the "chosen ones" so its best to just spell their children's names properly.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
You have no idea how many of my students have ridiculous spellings of their names. I want to go back in time and remind their parents that none of these children are the "chosen ones" so its best to just spell their children's names properly.

Not as bad as when my aunt taught a kindergarden class, and a girl came in whose name was pronounced "Shih-theed." Guess how it was spelled? Take "knithead" and replace "knit" with a curse word that rhymes. Needless to say, CPS promptly took that child from her parents and hopefully gave her a better name.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
Right on cue, one of my friends "shared" this on facebook tonight:

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2013, 10:57:24 PM »
Someone breaking wind in an enclosed area.

Ignoring two people talking and interrupting the conversation with their own as if it were more important.

Trying, horribly, to talk over me.  I'm usually pretty soft spoken, but I have a loud set of pipes when required.

Touching my food, for any reason.  It's my food, touch your own food.

Backwash.  It's just gross!

Port-a-johns.  It's just gross.

People who do things with some distorted sense of equality (because they can) without regard for anyone else (means its not really equality, rather something YOU want).

Man, I could go for days, but I'll finish with and OCD.  Cards or papers on a counter not being evenly stacked and placed.  I have gotten strange looks from bank tellers as I fix this on the customer counters.

Hah, my twin.    But the breaking wind part, so long as its my own wind, or one of my sons, we appreciate. :)
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2013, 12:30:57 AM »
I hate when you meet the modern stereotypical yuppie from NorCal that me and my father have to deal with everyday at work and they have to take their smelly dogs with them everywhere and allow their dogs to crawl all over you, lick you, and jump on you, and then they just laugh because they think it's funny and force you to pet their dog. It's downright rude; if I wanted to play with your dog I'd ask. Even worse is when you have to do a repair job on something in their apartment and they just allow their dog to drool all over you and stand over your head, bothering you the entire time you are trying to do a job.

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2013, 02:57:38 AM »
I hate when you meet the modern stereotypical yuppie from NorCal that me and my father have to deal with everyday at work and they have to take their smelly dogs with them everywhere and allow their dogs to crawl all over you, lick you, and jump on you, and then they just laugh because they think it's funny and force you to pet their dog. It's downright rude; if I wanted to play with your dog I'd ask. Even worse is when you have to do a repair job on something in their apartment and they just allow their dog to drool all over you and stand over your head, bothering you the entire time you are trying to do a job.

hehehe and you are right its the dog people that will do that to you. the cat people keep their distance like their cat who is probably eyeing you with disdain or suspicion topped with a staring contest that says 'I got my eye on you buddy!' the entire time you are in their house. unless you are a cat person and cats know their royal subjects so the treatment might be a bit different. lol
To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • Resident breeder-8 kids
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2013, 03:48:43 AM »
My whiteboard calendar has 5 colored dots that correspond to 5 different colored pens. I hate it when the kids mismatch the pens on the dots on purpose to drive me nuts.

We have these bowls/cups from IKEA for kids that are rainbow colored. I hate it when the bowls aren't stacked in rainbow order. But I just have to deal with this one because the kids are always losing bowls/cups, or the dog chews them up. So they are never put away to my satisfaction.

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2013, 05:36:35 AM »
People who leave shopping carts in the parking lot and don't place them where they belong.  I give a pass to someone with four kids and no other adult, otherwise it's just lazy and damages other cars.  I may have already posted this one.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »
My whiteboard calendar has 5 colored dots that correspond to 5 different colored pens. I hate it when the kids mismatch the pens on the dots on purpose to drive me nuts.

We have these bowls/cups from IKEA for kids that are rainbow colored. I hate it when the bowls aren't stacked in rainbow order. But I just have to deal with this one because the kids are always losing bowls/cups, or the dog chews them up. So they are never put away to my satisfaction.

You have rainbow colored kids  :o ??? :o ???

;D
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »

Whatever happened to that gun you were going to get? 8)
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »
My new pet peeve is when I go to the beach, and try to walk on the pedestrian lane of the bike/ped path, there are ALWAYS cyclists in the ped lane, to the point where I sometimes have to get off the path altogether to avoid them.  >:(

Yet if a pedestrian gets in a bike lane, all hell breaks loose, because bicyclists are, apparently, superior to the rest of humanity.  ::)

To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, walk proudly and carry a BIG stick--they're great for poking into bike wheels  ;D.

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
My pet peeve today: me  8).

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »
My newest pet peeve for today: people who show off their Latin and Greek language skills.  :angel:

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2013, 11:53:15 AM »
My newest pet peeve for today: people who show off their Latin and Greek language skills.  :angel:

:)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:53:31 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
Pet peeve #2: Leaving your cart in the middle of the aisle while you carry on a lengthy conversation with someone. Look, you haven't seen your Cousin Bo in years, and you want to catch up. Fine. You don't have to leave your cart in the middle of the aisle blocking everyone though. Also, when I POLITELY ask you if I can get by, it's overdoing it a bit when you give me dirty looks. Have I said that one already? Maybe I did. I probably said the one about pointing out expired products to store employees and getting dirty looks as well.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:06:39 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2013, 11:42:26 PM »
I never cared for this thread. It is too negative. Does that qualify as a peeve? (Only experts should respond.)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2013, 05:17:32 AM »
I never cared for this thread. It is too negative. Does that qualify as a peeve? (Only experts should respond.)

I'm an expert at being peeved, is that what you mean? I'm even clergy-certified in this regard ("you're the type of person who doesn't suffer fools well").  :)  I think it's good to have a place to complain about this stuff though. An alternative, I suppose, is to just ram my way past those carts in the middle of the aisle, with a curt "get the f out of the way" as I pass. Of course someone might say that the best response would be to be humble and peace-loving. To which I'd respond: me? humble? ha!

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2013, 07:10:15 AM »

You probably won this thread. Not sure it's a good news.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2013, 07:21:57 AM »
Hey, parenthood has mellowed me out a lot. I used to have all my eldest daughter's books arranged in descending size order when she was a baby almost 12 years ago. And I once put a lost flyer up in the neighborhood when she lost one of the zebras for her Noah's Ark playset on a walk. There were supposed to be 2 and having 1 literally made me have an OCD fit.

I am not near as OCD now as I used to be.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:25:58 AM by Quinault »

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »
When the news media refers to "Washington" when they really mean DC.

When people think "the Seattle area" includes the entire freakin state.

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »
This mornings pet peeve(s): Democrats.

And Republicans.

And "socialists".

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »
When someone says they want to talk to you, but what they really mean is they want you to listen to them complain.

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2013, 10:53:49 AM »
People who complain about feeling useless and do nothing about it. :police:

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2013, 11:39:17 AM »
For some reason I don't like the word "yummy".   If I see a cookbook that has descriptions about "yummy" recipes, I avoid it.

I hate it when there are people who don't use the door to their right and try to come in the door that is to their left. Then you have an issue when someone is coming out the same door they are trying to use to enter, and then expect you to get out of the way for them.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »
I think yummy can have proper uses... though not for food.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »
Pet peeve: people who not only insist their personal opinions are "facts", but ridicule anyone who asks for more proof than just their assertion, using cute pictures they found on The Internets.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:44:05 AM by theistgal »
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2013, 12:50:49 AM »
Pet peeve: people who not only insist their personal opinions are "facts", but ridicule anyone who asks for more proof than just their assertion, using cute pictures they found on The Internets.  ::)

Par for the course.

You should however know that it doesn't matter. I make your posts a priority when I am browsing. Perhaps others do as well.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2013, 01:01:11 AM »

Par for the course.

You should however know that it doesn't matter. I make your posts a priority when I am browsing. Perhaps others do as well.

Aw shucks, folks, I'm speechless!  ;D

My new pet peeved is anyone who doesn't have your impeccable good taste.  :laugh:

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »

Sorry, theistgal, I can't resist.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:16:51 AM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!