Author Topic: Libraries vs. Amazon  (Read 354 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Libraries vs. Amazon
« on: July 23, 2018, 11:56:11 AM »
Librarians are in uproar after an article in Forbes magazine proposed replacing all public libraries in the US with Amazon bookstores.

Panos Mourdoukoutas, a professor of economics at LIU Post in New York, wrote for Forbes that libraries “don’t have the same value they used to” and should be replaced permanently by Amazon book shops.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jul/23/twaddle-librarians-respond-to-suggestion-amazon-should-replace-libraries?
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: Libraries vs. Amazon
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »
Fortunately, I do not think any library will be following that ridiculous idea.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
Fortunately, I do not think any library will be following that ridiculous idea.

The authorities seem to be rather sold on it, though, considering library funding (or lack thereof).
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 01:17:55 PM »
Yikes.  No that's a terrible idea.  I still have a love-hate relationship with mine, but it should definitely stick around.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »
Maybe one computer in each public library could be reserved for those who wish to place Amazon orders and the company could send a commission fee on each purchase to the library in question.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »
Yikes.  No that's a terrible idea.  I still have a love-hate relationship with mine, but it should definitely stick around.

I grew up without libraries, and any book I wanted to read I had to buy or get someone else to buy it for me. I didn't even know how much I was missing out on (all the other things, not just the books) until I moved to the UK and gained access to one. Also, librarians are awesome creatures - the dragons of the mundane world. Don't tick them off. :laugh:

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »

I grew up without libraries, and any book I wanted to read I had to buy or get someone else to buy it for me. I didn't even know how much I was missing out on (all the other things, not just the books) until I moved to the UK and gained access to one. Also, librarians are awesome creatures - the dragons of the mundane world. Don't tick them off. :laugh:
I know; I've crossed one or two.  :o

The library is sacred in my family (both nuclear and extended).  I just am really, really bad at returning things in a timely manner.  I might as well buy the books by the time they're done fining me.   :-[ ;D

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 06:23:14 PM »

I know; I've crossed one or two.  :o

The library is sacred in my family (both nuclear and extended).
Nuclear families are the primary energy source for libraries.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 06:33:48 PM »
Nuclear families are the primary energy source for libraries.
:laugh:  True.  Good way to put it.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »
The library is sacred in my family (both nuclear and extended).  I just am really, really bad at returning things in a timely manner.  I might as well buy the books by the time they're done fining me.   :-[ ;D

At my library, the standard checkout period is three weeks. Then you can renew seven more times. So you can keep something for practically six months before any fining kicks in (unless you didn't renew in time, in which case you may get smacked with a couple of days' worth - £0.70/day for us, and only adult accounts). And I still manage to rack them up. Thank goodness fines are capped at £7 per item, or I'd have bought out the place by now.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »

At my library, the standard checkout period is three weeks. Then you can renew seven more times. So you can keep something for practically six months before any fining kicks in (unless you didn't renew in time, in which case you may get smacked with a couple of days' worth - £0.70/day for us, and only adult accounts). And I still manage to rack them up. Thank goodness fines are capped at £7 per item, or I'd have bought out the place by now.

Seven times?!?!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »

Wow!!  Nope: 6 weeks max, and if it gets over $10 total, they'll lock your account until you pay it down.  Or they used to.  At this point I just pay whenever they say I have a balance.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 09:27:44 PM »

Seven times?!?!
In some places in America, it's eight times.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
I loath using physical books now.  I much prefer ebooks even to the point of dreading reading a physical one.  Whoever invented the book spine should killed by a thousand paper cuts.

Thankfully, many public libraries can loan ebooks too.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 10:09:14 PM »
I loath using physical books now.  I much prefer ebooks even to the point of dreading reading a physical one.  Whoever invented the book spine should killed by a thousand paper cuts.

E-books are the devil.  Smell my paper and hear the glory of my spine.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Chicago
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 11:10:52 PM »
My local library had kids activities, story time, arts/crafts, a bunch of adult things. The one thing i see alot less of is books.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 01:13:26 AM »
That makes sense. As 'physical' books become less relevant they'll need to be given less space, to make room for other tools for learning and interacting.
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 01:26:22 AM »

Behind me satan! Audiobooks is how I get through most books nowadays.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 02:09:18 AM »

Even worse.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 02:16:27 AM »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 03:57:49 AM »

Hopefully using Overdrive and your library card. ;)

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 04:18:23 AM »

Audible  ;)

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 05:16:37 AM »

Audible  ;)

Such a waste.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~