Author Topic: The good book: Bible helps researchers perfect translation algorithms  (Read 176 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
The good book: Bible helps researchers perfect translation algorithms

Internet tools to translate text between languages like English and Spanish are widely available. Creating style translators -- tools that keep text in the same language but transform the style -- have been much slower to emerge. In part, efforts to develop the translators have been stymied by the difficulty of acquiring the enormous amount of data required. This is where the research team turned to the Bible.
“The Bible is a 'divine' data set to work with to study this task," said Daniel Rockmore, a professor of computer science at Dartmouth and contributing author on the study. "Humans have been performing the task of organizing Bible texts for centuries, so we didn't have to put our faith into less reliable alignment algorithms."
I’m still waiting for the Bible to be translated into JavaScript.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: The good book: Bible helps researchers perfect translation algorithms
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »
JW's claim that their automatic translation technology is one of the most advanced in the world, but they refuse to reveal it. Given how easily they translate their books to so many obscure languages, I don't doubt it.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
I'm afraid that they'll end up with an algorithm that yields the same results as Jehovah's Witnesses' and Mormons' translations.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 02:16:48 PM »
JW's claim that their automatic translation technology is one of the most advanced in the world, but they refuse to reveal it. Given how easily they translate their books to so many obscure languages, I don't doubt it.

Easily, sure.  But how good are the translations?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 01:05:47 PM »
Easily, sure.  But how good are the translations?
Their booklets seem to have great translations, I've checked "What does the Bible really teach?" in some languages. Their Bible, OTOH, is trash.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »
The good book: Bible helps researchers perfect translation algorithms

Internet tools to translate text between languages like English and Spanish are widely available. Creating style translators -- tools that keep text in the same language but transform the style -- have been much slower to emerge. In part, efforts to develop the translators have been stymied by the difficulty of acquiring the enormous amount of data required. This is where the research team turned to the Bible.
“The Bible is a 'divine' data set to work with to study this task," said Daniel Rockmore, a professor of computer science at Dartmouth and contributing author on the study. "Humans have been performing the task of organizing Bible texts for centuries, so we didn't have to put our faith into less reliable alignment algorithms."
I’m still waiting for the Bible to be translated into JavaScript.

Since the universe was surely written in some dialect of LISP, and since humans undoubtably spoke this most divine language before the Tower of Babel, its restoration into proper S-Expressions would be meet and right. 

Or at the very least, a language with a “let” function.

C-style comments /* like this */ or if limited to one line, // in the manner of C++ and C99 would also be useful for commentaries and the farcing of Psalms that exist, for example, in the Assyrian liturgy.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
I'm afraid that they'll end up with an algorithm that yields the same results as Jehovah's Witnesses' and Mormons' translations.

Fear not.  The Mormons tend to use the KJV; the Jehovahs Witnesses have been proven to have fradulently interpolated and mistranslated John 1:1 for doctrinal reasons.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 01:23:38 PM »

Proprietary software is evil.  If they want to substantiate their boast, they should at least publish the source code, even if they don’t actually release it under an open source license.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 01:35:37 PM »
They're much more interested in making accessible books than on their nice software, though.  :P