Author Topic: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?  (Read 64196 times)

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
What are your pet peeves and OCD's?
« on: November 15, 2011, 04:00:42 PM »
Peeves:
People who demand respect because they think it's God given.
Arriving late to any destination.
Other people who wash my clothes.
People who wake me up when I'm sleeping.
People who don't know when to shut up.

OCD:
I check the locks in my house, car, work, etc 5 times before I'm convinced they are locked.
I check for my wallet, keys, cell, and pen every 15 minutes to ensure they are still in my pockets.

I have a lot more, just gotta remember them all lol.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Father Peter

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
Re: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »
Have you got your keys?

Are you sure?

Are you really sure?

Do you want to check again?

I can never be sure I have locked my car and will walk all the way back to the car park to check. But that is more to do with forgetfulness I think.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:18:28 PM »
PEEVES:
-I can't stand arrogance, but I have the tendency to try to find out more about that person and then end up loving them. LOL. Most of my friends are these types of people, and to be honest, I'm not quite sure that I would call them friends if I hadn't experienced their "vulnerable" states. Being around arrogance and sarcasm 24/7 is so exhausting.

-Concerning lateness: it happens, especially since I live close to I-95, in a commuter city, but if you don't have the courtesy to call or text when you're going to be more than 20 minutes late, I get very frustrated.

-People who block doors. Or for that matter, people who are walking on busy sidewalks on the wrong side because they need to be standing next to their friends.

-Relying on really poor/biased sources and not reading the other side. I'm not the smartest person on earth, and you don't have to be, either, but it is just mind-boggling to me how intelligent people will cite a crackpot website written by a random guy to support their arguments. Or using an openly pro-life/choice website to support their cause. I know that bias is impossible to escape, but try a little harder, please.

-When people cannot say, "I'm sorry."

-People who get angry if I try to talk to them in the morning. I get not wanting to have a bright and cheery conversation, but why must you feel the need to growl at me when I ask a yes or no question? ("Can I have the cereal I found in the pantry?") Get over yourself.

-People who think they cannot function without coffee in the morning and will proceed to whine if they don't get it. Whatever. You can function, I promise.

-I really don't understand when people think that their own thoughts are more fascinating than those of others. I think it's awfully isolating, but what really gets my goat is when people say that out loud, and proudly. There is nothing good, in my opinion, about elevating your own thoughts over others. I think this is probably a repeat of #1, essentially.

But I'm fascinated with other people, so that's where I'm coming from.

OCD:
None, really, except that I check for my phone all the time, wherever I am. I'm absolutely paranoid about losing it.

I'm also told that I fidget too much around electronics, changing the volume constantly or tapping at the keyboard all the time. My mother used to get annoyed when I would have a conversation with her in the kitchen because I would open and close all of the cabinet doors and drawers throughout our conversation. I also shred napkins and grass, if I'm sitting on the ground. Probably just wanting to do something with my hands, more than any OCD.

If I'm in someone else's house, I never put my purse down. NEVER. Everyone laughs at this. It's not that I mistrust them or people in their house -- it's become a habit to keep it with me all of the time and it feels strange to put it down by the door or with my coat. I just never do it.

ETA: I HATE LINE JUMPERS. I have absolutely no hesitation to call out line jumpers and people who are obnoxious in libraries. The worst is people who try to "casually" sneak into line, because they're so bad at it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:19:49 PM by IsmiLiora »
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »
Peeves:
People who shout instead of talking.
People who touch my head.

OCD:
Setting an alarm clock 5 times before sleeping.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
Ooh, another OCD! I set my clocks several minutes ahead. I used to set them as far as 20 minutes ahead, but my college roommates would always wait for me to leave to class and then change the clocks back to normal.

They complained but they NEVER made it late to class. ;)

Okay, I understand how much of an inconvenience that was. I only set it about 3 minutes ahead now.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
Peeves:
People who are easily offended and expect restitution
Folks that touch my head (you bet me to it Michał)
A filthy home...I mean really, clean is free......

OCD's:
I look at the top of my shoes alot....like alot.
I click the very front of my spoon on the bottom of a bowl while eating. The spoon must be upside down.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »
Some of these pet peeves are things that probably 90% of people have.  Not sure if they are really "pet peeves" at this point.  It's kind of like "You know what really rains on my parade?  Getting raped.  That just spoils my whole afternoon."  

Now me, I don't really have any pet peeves.  I'm going to have to steal a line from George Carlin and say that I just don't have pet peeves.  I have psychotic fornicating hatreds.  There are a couple words that cause me immense distress.  Like "squirrel cage" or "pop-off".  Cutesie little semi-descriptive words.  Just call the bloody things centrifugal wheels and relief valves.  Unless it is actually a cage for squirrels, don't call it a squirrel cage.  It doesn't even look like a squirrel cage.  I mean seriously, if you just called it a "hamster wheel" I'd get over it.  I'd still curse your mother for having not drowned you in infancy, but I will get over it.

Children screaming/crying/carrying-on in restaurants and the parents doing nothing to stop it.  I know this is something that most people hate, but I really hate it.  I almost wept when Omaha passed a smoking ban in buildings.  I really miss having the smoking section because there are generally less children in them.  Smoking or non-smoking?  Smoking.  Please put me next to the old woman with stained fingers on oxygen, she looks like she'll keep women with brats at bay.  To top it all off, these are the useless should-have-been-genetic-cul-de-sacs who say "when you have kids you'll understand".  Fine.  Perhaps I will.  But at the moment it's not me who's subjecting everyone else to the whims of my spawn.  And I'm not really hard to please.  If any, ANY attempt is made to rein in these little hellions then my feelings of ire and rage quickly turn to sympathy and understanding.  

Another thing that just gets my goat (and I don't mean as dowry) is scraping silverware on plates or biting them.  I get goosebumps when I hear people chomping on their spoon.  God gave you lips.  I suggest you use them or at least have the common decent courtesy to stop brushing your teeth so they fall out and I don't have to hear you grinding them on your stupid fork.

Last one (not really but I've probably ranted enough) is people touching my belly button.  Just the thought of it makes me cringe.  This isn't something that happens all that often (as in, pretty much not at all) but if it were to happen, I would probably kill you.

As for OCD behaviors...well, I have way too many to list so I'm not even going to name them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:04:20 PM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
I am rather quick to judge. If I meet somebody on their first day at work, for example, and I don't get a chance to talk to them, or their shirt is different, or something, I spend the rest of the day in a funk and it takes me a while to recover. 99.999% of the time, the person turns out to be really nice anyway, and I am just silly.  :P
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:16:15 PM »
Peeves:  mispellings and the misuse of apostrophe's and "quotation" marks.

OCD: different but in the same category as Father Peter, I check for my keys three times before locking the car - but can't really think of something else. Perhaps my wife should answer that  :D.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »
I have one more.....

Happy Holidays......ugh I hate that.

Which one? Hanukkah? Not that big of a deal to Jews. Kwanzaa? its a fake holiday made up by a terrorist and rapist. Ashura? This isn't Sunni lands last I looked.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are national holidays here (the others aren't) in the US so therefore can we please say Merry Christmas or Happy Thanksgiving? Geez!!!!!!
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »
^ I hate when people say "Merry Christmas" and then look at you like it's a challenge, daring you to say something like, "How dare you say Merry Christmas!"

I end up saying "Happy Hanukkah" in response, just to make them mad.

And PP, I get the other ones, but not fair to generalize that Jews don't make a big deal of out Hanukkah. Come to New York and Jersey  and I'll show you the Jews over there. They are a plenty, and they celebrate Hanukkah (yes, the reform ones celebrate Christmas too, though, LOL). ;)

Others I'm thinking of, so cathartic to type:
-- Patting my head. DO NOT PAT MY HEAD. Women NEVER do this. It's always men. Geez, I wonder why? Even if I know that the guy is genuinely doing it out of affection, I want to kick him between his legs.

I like when the Mr. will touch my hair, but that's different from patting my head. He did it once when we were dating, and I believe my withering glance has prevented him from doing it ever again.

--Also, "Good girl!" I am not five and I am not a dog. Next.

--Men initiating hugs out of nowhere. I get SO suspicious. I need to have an intimate (don't mean that kind of intimate, necessarily) relationship in order to hug a male friend. I mean, if I'm at church or with family, whatever, hugs and kisses are flying. But when I'm hanging out with a dude that I'm not close with, or I run into an acquaintance that I hadn't spoken to in 4 years, I get a little sketched out. Okay, really sketched out.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:47:36 PM by IsmiLiora »
--
--

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 05:51:45 PM »
Um... I wasn't aware that the founder of Kwanzaa was a terrorist and a rapist.

That sound you hear is this thread falling off the tracks.  ???

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »
--Men initiating hugs out of nowhere. I get SO suspicious. I need to have an intimate (don't mean that kind of intimate, necessarily) relationship in order to hug a male friend. I mean, if I'm at church or with family, whatever, hugs and kisses are flying. But when I'm hanging out with a dude that I'm not close with, or I run into an acquaintance that I hadn't spoken to in 4 years, I get a little sketched out. Okay, really sketched out.

Ha.  You just confirmed my paranoia.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
I can't leave the house without checking my pockets a bunch of times. Wallet in the left, keys in the right. I can't switch, either, or I feel something is seriously wrong, and I have to wait to leave until I've put them back.

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »
I guess my only pet peeve is when someone begins to talk about Ukrainians actually being Russians, or Ukrainians sharing so much history with Russians, or Ukrainians being "younger brothers" of their Big Brother from Moscow, etc. (Won't elaborate because this is not a forum for political discussions; just answering the question).

My OCD? Well, I don't know whether I have them. I am a spontaneous person rather than a structured, organized person.
Love never fails.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
Peeves:

OCD:

Another one peeve:

Pronunciation errors.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »
Aluminum.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »
My pet peeves include bad grammar and other disrespect for the English language by its native speakers (singular "they" especially bugs me). Also constantly hearing dumb stuff from ostensibly educated people- cliches ("spread like wildfire"), redundancies ("safe haven") and other such crap ("my jaw LITERALLY dropped to the floor").

Bad music, books, and films being passed off as great art also annoys me. I sometimes yell at the radio when I hear NPR people treat someone like Katy Perry as a serious artist. I can't stand adults raving about Harry Potter or Twilight but who could never be bothered to read Milton.

I'm not really OCD at all, though I sometimes do go back to make sure I locked something because I'm very absentminded and I often actually forget to do that stuff.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
  • Unrest is the mark of existence.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 08:03:38 PM »
Peeves: Loud bass in cars, loud bass in homes, people who double-park, tail-gating, drivers who don't signal when they turn, people telling me to "smile" when I really don't feel like it, out of key harmonies, out of tune instruments, artificial niceness, pushy sales people, parents blaming teachers for the fact that they can't properly raise their own kids, lousy parenting, people who habitually argue against you even when they probably agree with you, cars without mufflers, customers who are habitually angry at their servers even when nothing is wrong with the service or product, hypocrisy, gross exaggeration, dog owners not picking up their pets' poop, people talking or kicking the seats at movie theaters, teeth-picking or toe-nail trimming in public, people saying that they know something with absolute certainty when they don't, and so on.

OCD (I think?): I make sure when I am at a restaurant that napkins and cutlery are all perfectly parallel or perpendicular to the edges of the table. If they aren't, I promptly fix them. Oh, and my drink must always be centered perfectly on the coaster... or else!

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »
-I really don't like strangers to touch me at all. Which makes even getting my hair cut a trial. I can't stand to get a pedicure, and the thought of a massage makes me cringe. Why would you want to pay a stranger to put hot rocks on your back?
-I agree with the yelling/running around kids. I may have sympathy if the parent(s) looks absolutely beat or overwhelmed, but really, seriously, do you think that your kids are that cute when they're being disruptive?
-Oh, and try navigating an elderly person with mobility issues through a store with these kids. An elderly lady I know was knocked down at coffee hour at church by kids running around. She ended up with a broken hip.
-Line jumpers. Are you really that important?

OCDs are dishes left in the sink, and bathmats in the tub/shower. I could understand if the dishwasher were in the next room and you actually had to make an effort to put a dish in there, but it's right next to the sink.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline AWR

• Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.
  • Expelled from Paradise
    • Church  of the Mother of God
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »

Peeve:

Cars driving slow in the passing lane when they are not passing anyone.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 02:10:46 PM »
OCD: I lose count of how many times I'll check to see if I have my passport while I'm travelling to the airport.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »
I have one more.....

Happy Holidays......ugh I hate that.

Which one? Hanukkah? Not that big of a deal to Jews. Kwanzaa? its a fake holiday made up by a terrorist and rapist. Ashura? This isn't Sunni lands last I looked.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are national holidays here (the others aren't) in the US so therefore can we please say Merry Christmas or Happy Thanksgiving? Geez!!!!!!

I was taught in elementary school that "Happy Holidays" was a shorter way of saying "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!" Ya know, since both holidays are within a week of each other. (Both are also Civic holidays.) I also find it interesting that people get so bent out of shape about the expression these days, when Andy Williams made a perfectly good Christmas song out of the expression in the sixties.

And As IsmiLiora indicated, here in the NY/NJ area, there are a large number of people who celebrate Hanukkah, including Jews in my family. I went to a public school pre-K-12, and we had off for the Jewish holidays in addition to the Christian ones. So in some parts of the country, consideration for Jews is actually relevant. Also, just because something is a Civic or National holiday, doesn't mean everyone celebrates it with joy. Just ask the Native Americans their feelings about Columbus Day.

My pet peeves? I don't like it when people don't say what they mean and mean what they say. If you say you are going to do something for someone, then follow through. If you give instructions on how to do something, don't tell me I am wrong when I follow your directions.

I also hate it when people make generalizations and stereotypes about different ethnic, religious, gender, and racial groups. The "us vs. them" mentality gets really old really fast with me.

OCD: I hate to be late. I get really annoyed with myself when I'm late. I also think it's very rude when people are late meeting you. I'm not talking about the usual 15 minutes late because you were stuck in traffic. I'm talking about arriving 2 hours late and not calling to say you're late. That, is super inconsiderate in my book.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
Ppl ahead of me on the tollway who wait until they get up to toll booth to start digging around thier glove box, pockets, ashtray between the seats etc to scrape up enough change, like they haven't known for the last 20 miles there was a booth coming up.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »
Ppl ahead of me on the tollway who wait until they get up to toll booth to start digging around thier glove box, pockets, ashtray between the seats etc to scrape up enough change, like they haven't known for the last 20 miles there was a booth coming up.

Okay, I will confess, I am one of those people.

But as someone who has to drive by herself most of the time, explain how am I to safely drive and look for change at the same time?

Although I may take an extra 2 minutes out of your day looking for change with my car safely stopped at a toll booth, isn't this better than getting into an accident and causing massive delays?

(And in NJ, the tolls are usually several dollars, not just a few cents.)
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »
E-Zpass, baby!
--
--

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:28 PM »
As lame as I feel admitting this, I do have one English language pet peeve: The use of "grow" as a transitive verb, as in "grow the economy". I know, being a student of linguistics on his way to getting his Ph.D., that there is nothing wrong (ungrammatical) about this usage, but I still hate it. It grates on me big time, and I really can't even explain why (which somehow makes it worse; why is it so bad? It just is, okay?!).

OCD...hmmm...can't think of anything. My father's OCD has long been a source of speculation/concern/laughter in my family, though. I can't understand it, but the man has to vacuum SOMETHING (usually the garage) at least three times a day. Last time I got him a new vacuum for his birthday he had to replace it within a year. It seems funny, but a vacuum habit is NOT cheap! I think he's gotten better since he found a housekeeper he could afford to have come in once every other month, though. I really hope so, anyway...

Offline TITL

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »
Pet Peeves:

1. People who use "like" repetitively
2. Exam questions that weren't covered in class by the professor
3. That annoying mouth noise made by chewing, yawning, swallowing spit, kissing

OCD:

1. Lists have to be 3 things long
2. Volume on TV has to be in increments of 10
3. Post counts that are 999 keep me up at night

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »

But as someone who has to drive by herself most of the time, explain how am I to safely drive and look for change at the same time?

Although I may take an extra 2 minutes out of your day looking for change with my car safely stopped at a toll booth, isn't this better than getting into an accident and causing massive delays?

How about having the money ready ahead of time? Maybe when you start out?

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »

The tolls throughout the Great Garden State vary from toll to toll. There is no consistent rate among them. 

I am not trying to be contentious, but it's true. Also, if you travel on the Garden State Parkway, you may encounter tolls going South that you will not encounter going North. (And vice versa.) Tolls on the NJ Turnpike are determined by the distance traveled.

As for the bridges and tunnels, it's completely arbitrary how they set up the tolls here. (They recently increased the tolls on by 50%! It now costs $12 to go through the Holland Tunnel!)

In regards to EZ-Pass, well, there are reasons that I will not go into on this forum as to why I don't use it.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 03:02:09 PM »
I've always wanted to bribe a toll booth operator.  Just roll up and tell him, "my friend Ulysses S. Grant says I don't have to pay no toll."  Just to see the look on his face.  But alas, it is not to be.  Here in NE we don't have those things.  My lifelong wish will have to go unfulfilled. 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline TITL

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
I've always wanted to bribe a toll booth operator.  Just roll up and tell him, "my friend Ulysses S. Grant says I don't have to pay no toll."  Just to see the look on his face.  But alas, it is not to be.  Here in NE we don't have those things.  My lifelong wish will have to go unfulfilled. 

What if his pet peeve is double-negatives?

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
What would they call people like you? A toll troll? ;)
--
--

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »

Then I'd tell him my friends Smith and Wesson think his pet peeve ain't got no validity.   ;D

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 04:38:22 PM »

Then I'd tell him my friends Smith and Wesson think his pet peeve ain't got no validity.   ;D
a smith and wesson beats four aces

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »

Do you watch It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia?

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »

Do you watch It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia?
No, but I like to think I came up with it myself. ;)
--
--

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »
I wonder if they have a group discount on Valium?  ;D :D

I'm going to need this.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »
Peeves:

OCD:

haha, you do that with the clock too?? I don't count, but i check it at least several times hehe

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »

IDK, but I personally would never call a man a troll who just handed me a fifty to get out of an $0.XX toll.  Retard, moron, loon...perhaps.  But troll?  I think not. 

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »

IDK, but I personally would never call a man a troll who just handed me a fifty to get out of an $0.XX toll.  Retard, moron, loon...perhaps.  But troll?  I think not. 
I am obviously letting my desire to sneak in a pun override any logic. So shush!  :P

ETA: Okay. I know that's not even a pun. I'm just trying to be cute.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:44:31 PM by IsmiLiora »
--
--

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 06:45:45 PM »

The tolls throughout the Great Garden State vary from toll to toll. There is no consistent rate among them. 

I am not trying to be contentious, but it's true. Also, if you travel on the Garden State Parkway, you may encounter tolls going South that you will not encounter going North. (And vice versa.) Tolls on the NJ Turnpike are determined by the distance traveled.

As for the bridges and tunnels, it's completely arbitrary how they set up the tolls here. (They recently increased the tolls on by 50%! It now costs $12 to go through the Holland Tunnel!)

In regards to EZ-Pass, well, there are reasons that I will not go into on this forum as to why I don't use it.
I agree with you there, I don't like EZ-pass either.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 07:07:19 PM »
My pet peeve is that I still have pet peeves!!  :laugh:
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:45 PM »

I am obviously letting my desire to sneak in a pun override any logic. So shush!  :P

ETA: Okay. I know that's not even a pun. I'm just trying to be cute.

Don't worry, the humour wasn't lost!   ;)

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 11:56:42 PM »
Peeves: Loud bass in cars, loud bass in homes,
Oh man, lemme pick you up for Divine Liturgy sometime, my bass will practically drive us there.

But it's not as awful sounding as the rice burners with horrible subs.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan