OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:19:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic sex-abuse crisis boon for Baptists, new research shows  (Read 578 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 14, 2011, 08:29:09 AM »

Did the Catholic sex-abuse scandal benefit other faiths? New research by economist Dan Hungerman shows it did.

The study by Hungerman, Stepan Family Associate Professor of Economics at the University of Notre Dame, shows a 2 million member drop in the Catholic population following the sex-abuse scandal and more than $3 billion in donations to non-Catholic faiths, with Baptist churches showing the most significant gains.
“Those leaving the Catholic Church substitute into a wide variety of alternatives. The Catholic tradition is closer to certain traditions – Anglican or Episcopalian – than others, and one might expect the scandal to lead to gains for these churches. But the evidence suggests the opposite.”

Results of Hungerman’s study indicate that Baptist churches experienced the largest gains from the scandal, yet Baptists are a Protestant group considered most distant from Catholics in a number of areas.

“One might wonder if such radical re-affiliation is driven by the scandal itself: Catholics incensed by the scandal choose a very-not-Catholic alternative to ‘punish’ their church…but the findings here suggest that radical substitution may be common even when substitution is driven by mundane events,” according to Hungerman.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:29:27 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »

If we have learned anything from these sordid matters, especially following the iconic example of the Pennsylvania State University fiasco, it is that human beings have a natural tendency to gather the wagons, deny hard truths about friends and colleagues and take misguided steps designed to 'protect' their institutions. Said steps actually are counterproductive to the 'max' in that they undermine the moral authority and integrity of the institution itself.

For those whose faith is so weak that human failings cause them to doubt the Church, I doubt you will find any solace or ultimate satisfaction by choosing 'another pew' for THAT reason.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 02:19:06 PM »

I say
Shake the dust off ,and move on .....  police

I doubt there faith is weak ,after all they are joining another
Faith Group instead of giving up on religion altogeather.... police

Plus it's
Great News ! Hopefully more will leave,
not just here in the U.S. but around the world......  police

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:21:47 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »

If we have learned anything from these sordid matters, especially following the iconic example of the Pennsylvania State University fiasco, it is that human beings have a natural tendency to gather the wagons, deny hard truths about friends and colleagues and take misguided steps designed to 'protect' their institutions. Said steps actually are counterproductive to the 'max' in that they undermine the moral authority and integrity of the institution itself.

For those whose faith is so weak that human failings cause them to doubt the Church, I doubt you will find any solace or ultimate satisfaction by choosing 'another pew' for THAT reason.

I don't think it's their faith in God that it is weak, but rather, the faith in the institution.

The fact they are choosing to remain within Christianity shows that they still accept Christ as Lord; it's just the throne of Peter they are having difficulty with.

Frankly, I can't say that I blame them.

Heaven forbid, but if my child was raped by a priest within the Orthodox Church and my Bishop did nothing about it, I would be lying if I said that I would have difficulty submitting to his leadership. In the US, Orthodox Christians can bounce from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. If you don't like Bishop "A", just go down the street to another jurisdiction under Bishop "B."

For Catholics, this is not the case. Furthermore, the cover-up went all the way to the top. The Vatican knew about it and did nothing.

How, as a mother, could I continue to encourage my child to take communion at the hand of the Church who victimized him/her?

I'm sorry, but I don't think we are in a position to judge their faith.

May the Lord have mercy on them, and provide healing to those wounded.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »

What throne of Peter  Grin Huh Huh,You must mean the throne of Saint Paul, in Rome...I will Never accept that St. Peter Ordained Bishops In Rome, by Sowing in another Saint's [St.Pauls ] Vinyard.... police

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:02:53 PM »

What throne of Peter  Grin Huh Huh,You must mean the throne of Saint Paul, in Rome...I will Never accept that St. Peter Ordained Bishops In Rome, by Sowing in another Saint's [St.Pauls ] Vinyard.... police

Stashko, I refuse to engage in your pettiness against the Roman Catholic Church. I meant what I said, and I said what I meant, so don't put words in my mouth.  Angry

Contrary to what you may believe, consistently bringing up your disagreements with Vatican doctrine does nothing to persuade the members of this board on the truthfulness of your statements, nor does it exemplify Christian charity.

When Christ came to earth, He did not debate with the various groups of the day on the falsity of their doctrine; rather, in faith and love He spoke of how to achieve salvation.

Something to think about...

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »

I've just noticed your under the Ecumenical Patriarch's Jurisdiction, Grin so i guess you have to tow the company line ,like kissing up to rome just like your Patriarch is doing ... Grin

I do understand where your coming from ....I don't Have to Though ........ police

You are put on a 30 day warning for commandeering the thread with your signature hatred of all things Roman Catholic. Please understand that your hatred of the Roman Catholic Church is not the issue; please keep on topic. You may of course appeal to Father George. Second Chance

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: