OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 11:32:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deacon's Typika Services  (Read 881 times) Average Rating: 0
jmk1988

Faith: Lutheran (Orthodox Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Witchita and Mid America

« on: November 13, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »

Hello to all those that can help,
I am inquiring at a small mission Orthodox church and have a hard time following the services.  I have found the Great Vespers service that I can print off weekly and I am looking for the Typika Deacon's Service.  Can anyone help me?  It really helps me follow along and be apart of the services.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »

I think you will find this link of help http://www.dowama.org/content/services-without-priest it contains all the services that can be said without a priest in a mission setting like yours.

Joseph
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »

However, when you consider that Vespers and especially Orthros are variable and lots of changes, it will be impossible for you to anticipate every change (unless you have access to all the service books necessary, like the Octoechos and the Menaia).  I would strongly counsel you to divorce yourself from reading along with services and to listen as attentively as you can so it can be imprinted more on your mind and heart. That way, you are praying more and reading less.  Just my opinion and I admit, it's one that is not very popular.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
jmk1988

Faith: Lutheran (Orthodox Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Witchita and Mid America

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »

Thank you for your advice.  I'm very close to giving up and going back to previous church because I just want to be able to participate and I'm struggling.  You can't sing if you don't know the words and you can recite if you don't know what to recite and when.  Good advice and I appreciate it. 
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »

^I'm in the same diocese as you. May I ask where you are located?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:27:46 PM »

Thank you for your advice.  I'm very close to giving up and going back to previous church because I just want to be able to participate and I'm struggling.  You can't sing if you don't know the words and you can recite if you don't know what to recite and when.  Good advice and I appreciate it. 

What the Church believes and proclaims is most easily found in what is read, chanted and sung during services. Don't be put off by not being able to follow the services at first, but simply keep your eyes and ears open.  Absorb what you see and hear. This, especially at this early stage for you, is far, far more important than singing along or burying your nose in a service book. Having compiled services many times myself in more than one language, I can tell you it's complicated, even for someone experienced.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »

I notice that you are Lutheran.  One of the things that I had to get used to is that the Choir sings in the Orthodox Church, and I have found very few exceptions.  I do not like this one bit, being a former Lutheran, but I doubt that I am going to change anything.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »

Thank you for your advice.  I'm very close to giving up and going back to previous church because I just want to be able to participate and I'm struggling.  You can't sing if you don't know the words and you can recite if you don't know what to recite and when.  Good advice and I appreciate it.  

I notice that you are Lutheran.  One of the things that I had to get used to is that the Choir sings in the Orthodox Church, and I have found very few exceptions.  I do not like this one bit, being a former Lutheran, but I doubt that I am going to change anything.

Go to an ACROD or UOC-USA parish.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:49:05 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags: deacon  Typika 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: