OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:50:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ison Machine  (Read 1796 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: November 10, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »

Does anyone know how much an ison machine costs? I'm making a short trip to Greece next week, God willing, and was thinking of picking one up there if it's not too expensive.

Thanks!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:42 PM »

What is an ison machine?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »

What is an ison machine?

google said OC.net knows what it is:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12315.0.html

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »

What is an ison machine?

A small keyboard-type thing used to keep the ison when chanting. Basically an instrument that mimicks the human voice.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »

I have a CD that uses this and it... bugs me. Normally I can tolerate all kinds of studio wizardry... drum machines, cheesy synth strings, etc... but in church music it just seems wrong.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »

I have a CD that uses this and it... bugs me. Normally I can tolerate all kinds of studio wizardry... drum machines, cheesy synth strings, etc... but in church music it just seems wrong.

Well it's a heck of a lot better than an organ!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »

It's a musical instrument and as such it shouldn't be used in church. However, it's a very useful thing to have for learning purposes.

So...anyone have any idea how much it costs? Google isn't helping.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 01:04:13 AM »

Why substitute a machine for the human voice?  Ison machines are annoying. I've heard a couple of recordings of Fr. Seraphim Dedes using an ison machine and it's just bad.  Yes, a good human isonkrates is hard to find, but rather than allow the machine to give the drone note, you should look to train someone who can do that for you.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:27:18 AM »

Why substitute a machine for the human voice?  Ison machines are annoying. I've heard a couple of recordings of Fr. Seraphim Dedes using an ison machine and it's just bad.  Yes, a good human isonkrates is hard to find, but rather than allow the machine to give the drone note, you should look to train someone who can do that for you.

SECONDED!!!
These machines are tolerable for training purposes, but ghastly when used during services.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 06:27:01 AM »

Yes, a good human isonkrates is hard to find, but rather than allow the machine to give the drone note, you should look to train someone who can do that for you.

And keep them at home when practising? Unless I can train my wife to do the drone, that's not really an option.

As for recordings, there are some bad ones and some better ones. The human voice is always nicer, but often not available - teaching someone to do a proper ison is more difficult than teaching them how to sing the melody. So it's often the machine vs. nothing. In church, where only the human voice can be employed, no ison is better than a fake one. For a recording, machine is better than nothing at all.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 09:32:42 AM »

Yes, a good human isonkrates is hard to find, but rather than allow the machine to give the drone note, you should look to train someone who can do that for you.

And keep them at home when practising? Unless I can train my wife to do the drone, that's not really an option.

As for recordings, there are some bad ones and some better ones. The human voice is always nicer, but often not available - teaching someone to do a proper ison is more difficult than teaching them how to sing the melody. So it's often the machine vs. nothing. In church, where only the human voice can be employed, no ison is better than a fake one. For a recording, machine is better than nothing at all.

If you are recording, and have the knowledge and the skill, then you should be able to do your own ison via a second track.

Ison machines should never be used under any circumstance. They are evil.

Joseph
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 07:06:05 AM »

Does anyone know how much an ison machine costs? I'm making a short trip to Greece next week, God willing, and was thinking of picking one up there if it's not too expensive.

Thanks!

I wasn't going to respond since I can't be of much help, but it seems you've gotten completely unhelpful answers.

Your best bet is to ask your parish priest or psaltis.  Failing that, try the Aposoliki Diaconia store in Athens.  (I kept my eye out for one in Thessaloniki and found none.  The AD store there didn't seem to have one).  And I hate to say, but unless you know modern Greek you probably won't be able to find one.  And I also hate to say, it could be exorbidantly expensive, and be on guard for a rip off unless someone you know, or AD refers them.  Please also tell us if you find one.  Smiley

And the machines can be useful, IF employed judiciously.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:12:40 AM by MarkosC » Logged

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 07:03:45 PM »

Thanks!

I looked into this previously. A few years ago an ison machine would cost about $1500, it may be somewhat cheaper now. You will find phone numbers in this thread http://analogion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4794&page=1 for Naoum ison machines.

A cheaper alternative is to use this free PC program (the original website is not working):
http://web.archive.org/web/20080820192323/http://www.byzanmusic.com/iso/isokraten.html
From what I read, it does not run on Windows 7 (It is meant for Windows 95/Me). I just downloaded it from the above site and tried it out on an XP computer (making sure not to install the older Windows components that comes with it) and it runs (although I did have a runtime error once).
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »

MarcosC and Opus118, thank you very much for your helpful responses! $1500 is a lot more than I'd be prepared to pay for a machine that goes "uuuuuuh", so I think I'll give it a pass this time since I'm just going for a few days. The program you linked to looked interesting, will definitely try it out!
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »

Excellent, Opus.  I figured it would be expensive, but €1000!!!!

Getting a used Win95 laptop is probably a better bet if you want portability.

ETA: Orthodox11, the one store that's a must visit is AD, at least from my time in Thessaloniki.  I wouldn't bother with others on a short trip, unless there are other places that are really good elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:20:54 PM by MarkosC » Logged

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »

This simple and beautiful statement,
I wasn't going to respond since I can't be of much help, but it seems you've gotten completely unhelpful answers.
was inspiring Markos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: