OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:33:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There's a New Star in the Russian Sky  (Read 2322 times) Average Rating: 0
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« on: November 10, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »

Very happy to see this!!:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1350078?eng=y

There's a New Star in the Russian Sky. His Name Is Aleksandr

He led the delegation from the ;patriarchate of Moscow in Assisi. Together with Metropolitan Hilarion, he is an emerging leader of the new generation. In great harmony with the Church of Pope Benedict

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Spare us from a false union O Lord.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »

I have no idea why. Like I didn't expect it. I guess it is the sorta humor that is funny because it reassures you all is right in the world, but 

LOL.

literally.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »

That's a comet. Grin
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:00:01 AM »

He led the delegation from the ;patriarchate of Moscow in Assisi. Together with Metropolitan Hilarion, he is an emerging leader of the new generation. In great harmony with the Church of Pope Benedict

I'm sure you're very happy to see Orthodox hierarchs who may submit to your Pope.  I don't think that's the case with Metropolitan ALEKSANDR necessarily (this news story really doesn't provide many details), but if that helps to give you false hope for Catholicism mowing down Orthodox opposition to its grand scheme of conquest of Christendom, more power to you.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 06:43:01 AM »

What would Galileo say about this?

That's a comet. Grin
To ruin the joke. It's a "Shooting star" for a wish. But you knew this. Grin
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:46:49 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »

I'm sure you're very happy to see Orthodox hierarchs who may submit to your Pope.  I don't think that's the case with Metropolitan ALEKSANDR necessarily (this news story really doesn't provide many details), but if that helps to give you false hope for Catholicism mowing down Orthodox opposition to its grand scheme of conquest of Christendom, more power to you.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »

He said that a comet was a kind of optical illusion in "The Assayer".  In this case he was wrong and the person he was tearing into, a Jesuit mathematician named Orazio Grassi, was right.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

One of them was another permanent member of the Holy Synod, the Metropolitan and patriarchal exarch Filaret of Minsk and Belarus, a great supporter of dialogue with the Catholic Church who will soon host, in his city, a conference on relations between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, from November 13 to 15.

Anyone have any more infor on this conference?  I am surprised to read that Metr. Filaret is a supporter of dialogue with the Catholics.  I thought there was conflict in Berlaus between the Eastern Europe and the Eastern Catholics.  I hope some mor einfo on this conference will be forthcoing.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »

You seem to be quite angry that Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians are talking to one another about our similarities and differences. Lets just begin with the presupposition that you guys have been right all along and that we Catholics are wrong (of course this is completely false, but let's just assume it for the sake of argument). Don't you want us to return to what you perceive to be the true Church? You think telling us what big awful heretics we are will do the trick? Wouldn't it be more effective to dialogue with us and get us to see our "errors"?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »

I am hoping that "submission" is not the sine qua non of the resumption of communion: for the record.

I am trusting that when the time comes my Church will not be looking for submission either.  There are other ways in which we can approach one another.  That is where I place my hope.

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »

You seem to be quite angry that Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians are talking to one another about our similarities and differences. Lets just begin with the presupposition that you guys have been right all along and that we Catholics are wrong (of course this is completely false, but let's just assume it for the sake of argument). Don't you want us to return to what you perceive to be the true Church? You think telling us what big awful heretics we are will do the trick? Wouldn't it be more effective to dialogue with us and get us to see our "errors"?

I see your point, but you cannot even begin any dialogue if you put the word "errors" (as in "our "errors"") in quotation marks. That would mean that you already have decided that only the other side has made and continues to make real errors. I think both us Orthodox and you Roman Catholics should begin by erazing these quotation marks. You got something right, and we got something right. You made errors (without quotation marks), and we made errors.

Love never fails.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »

This just came out today:

11-11-2011
http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/interchurch_relations/45373/
Patriarch Kirill States That Relations Between Orthodox and Greek Catholics Improved
The head of the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC), Patriarch Kirill spoke about the relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and Roman Catholic Church in his address to the hearers of courses of the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation, reported the web site of ROC.

The Patriarch of Moscow said that in Ukraine, “as the result of the violent actions of Greek Catholics in 1980-s-1990-s, the Orthodox believers lost their church buildings and still feel that their rights have been infringed” and that this question was discussed in the course of the contacts with the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church. At the same time, he stressed: “The conflict remains unsettled but at the same time, one should note that the relations between the Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine have improved.”

As he commented on the Orthodox-Catholic relations, on the whole, Patriarch Kirill pointed to the positive dynamic of the relations during the last five years.

You can read the whole article in English on the Catholic RISU at the address I cite above and at the original Russian orthodox site here:
http://www.mospat.ru/ru/2011/11/10/news51877/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 05:01:23 PM »

Greek Catholic and Roman Catholic are just a bit different.  Funny how both words are used interchangeably.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »

i don't get it...why the big uproar? I don't see anything substantial here...
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »

It is the tone that is set, by the Russians, and that has been being set since the death of Blessed Pope John Paul II.  It is a massaging of the mind and heart,  just as the negative comments during the pontificate of Blessed Pope John Paul II, sent messages to move and influence hearts and minds in a far more negative way.

And whether you like it or not the idea that resumption of communion is not generations or hundreds of years away is being passed about by those who are close to seats of the hierarchies in both Orthodoxy and in the Catholic Church...and periodically news of such ideas that communion could come as early as within the next 30 years...comes down to the peanuts in the gallery.

M.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:24:26 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »

we'll see, everything is tested by fire...
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 05:55:11 PM »

we'll see, everything is tested by fire...

Absolutely.  I'd love to see it in my lifetime but I don't know that I have 30 years left... Smiley

But I'd rather not see it, only to loose it again...So yes.   There's more to be done.

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »

Yes, the Antichrist will work hard for the "reunification" of the "Churches".  But there are no Churches, only one Church.  And one cannot reunify that which already in complete union - the Body of Christ.  Those who have fallen away may certainly be reunitied with the Church, but they are not Churches, only religious organizations.  There is only one Church.  True reunification will result in the Pope and his followers repenting and joining the true Church.  Any other arrangement will be false union under the Antichrist.  May God forbid this in my lifetime.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »

Greek Catholic and Roman Catholic are just a bit different.  Funny how both words are used interchangeably.
Who's laughing? And it is at, not with.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »

It is the tone that is set, by the Russians, and that has been being set since the death of Blessed Pope John Paul II.  It is a massaging of the mind and heart,  just as the negative comments during the pontificate of Blessed Pope John Paul II, sent messages to move and influence hearts and minds in a far more negative way.

And whether you like it or not the idea that resumption of communion is not generations or hundreds of years away is being passed about by those who are close to seats of the hierarchies in both Orthodoxy and in the Catholic Church...and periodically news of such ideas that communion could come as early as within the next 30 years...comes down to the peanuts in the gallery.
Florence II.

We have too much information at our respective fingertips, and communications are too open for us to ever go back to the old daze...and more importantly we have the gift of prayer and the power of the Holy Spirit, and Christ desires, if not commands us, to be one.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 01:11:25 AM »

We have too much information at our respective fingertips, and communications are too open for us to ever go back to the old daze...

I don't understand. Is technology and information going to unite us?

Christ desires, if not commands us, to be one.

Indeed. So return to the faith of your fathers.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »

We have too much information at our respective fingertips, and communications are too open for us to ever go back to the old daze...

I don't understand. Is technology and information going to unite us?

Christ desires, if not commands us, to be one.

Indeed. So return to the faith of your fathers.

I am baptized in the one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

And information and communication makes it much more difficult to "misunderstand" or "misrepresent" one another...It seems to be working that way thus far.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »

I like how people are hopeful about the mass conversion of a group of Baptists because a dialogue is scheduled with them, but worry about false union when one of our bishops has lunch with the Pope.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »

I am baptized in the one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

And information and communication makes it much more difficult to "misunderstand" or "misrepresent" one another...It seems to be working that way thus far.

I disagree with both of those ideas, but okay. Godspeed in your efforts at uniting disparate Christianities, one message board post at a time.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:16:11 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 03:32:38 AM »

I like how people are hopeful about the mass conversion of a group of Baptists because a dialogue is scheduled with them, but worry about false union when one of our bishops has lunch with the Pope.

we have no history with the protestants...
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »

Not to mention that most Protestants see the Pope as a bigger devil than even we do. 

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »

So maybe this is the next step in consecrating Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary?  Kiss  Wink
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:45:42 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 06:29:22 PM »

So maybe this is the next step in consecrating Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary?  Kiss  Wink

The timing of these events with the publication of Russian Sunrise by Bruce W. Walters, M.D. is also troubling.
That title should really read: Vatican Sunrise.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »

ROFLOL. No...not at all. They want to continue to be Pharisees and for us to continue being Samaritans.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »

Not to mention that most Protestants see the Pope as a bigger devil than even we do. 
You sure about that? Do you actually read this forum?
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »

Do you think that I actually take anything on the Internet serious?

You sure about that? Do you actually read this forum?

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »

Then why participate on here at all?

Bordom.  And the few uplifting Orthodox posts that I see now and then, mostly from Coptics.  Believe me, had I been on this board before my conversion, I would have remained a Lutheran.
That's a real shame, especially since the administrators of this board probably hope that this board is a good witness to other people, when in fact many feel it is the complete opposite. Although to be fair, I have ran across some unsavory characters on Catholic forums as well, and am equally thankful that I became Catholic before delving into Catholic online communities.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 01:10:17 PM »

Bordom.  And the few uplifting Orthodox posts that I see now and then, mostly from Coptics.  Believe me, had I been on this board before my conversion, I would have remained a Lutheran.
That's a real shame, especially since the administrators of this board probably hope that this board is a good witness to other people, when in fact many feel it is the complete opposite. Although to be fair, I have ran across some unsavory characters on Catholic forums as well, and am equally thankful that I became Catholic before delving into Catholic online communities.

I would tend to agree with you about this.  It's useful to have some perspective here, which is very easily lost, unfortunately.  For example, how many unsavory/prideful/arrogant/ignorant/hard-hearted people are there on this forum?  Only a very few, praise God.  How many on any given Catholic forum?  Again, only a few.  Unfortunately, they also tend to be the loudest and/or most verbose, thus creating for themselves a higher, much more visible profile thereby giving more (unwarranted) "weight" to what they have to say.  Now, how many Catholic and Orthodox Christians are there in the world?  Well over 1 billion!  And how many of those participate either here or on the most visited Catholic forums?  I've really no idea, but would venture to say a few hundred.  A thousand or so, maybe?  In any event, a statistically totally insignificant number.  So, for one to judge either Orthodoxy or Catholicism by what's said on these fora would be totally unfair and pretty pathetic, actually.  Neither is as portrayed here or on other fora, in my experience.  In many instances, what passes for Orthodoxy or Catholicism here and on other boards doesn't even bear much resemblance at all to what they are in the "real" world. 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »

Yes, the Antichrist will work hard for the "reunification" of the "Churches".  But there are no Churches, only one Church.  And one cannot reunify that which already in complete union - the Body of Christ.  Those who have fallen away may certainly be reunitied with the Church, but they are not Churches, only religious organizations.  There is only one Church.  True reunification will result in the Pope and his followers repenting and joining the true Church.  Any other arrangement will be false union under the Antichrist.  May God forbid this in my lifetime.

Just checking in on this thread. And now checking back out again.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »

I would tend to agree with you about this.  It's useful to have some perspective here, which is very easily lost, unfortunately.  For example, how many unsavory/prideful/arrogant/ignorant/hard-hearted people are there on this forum?  Only a very few, praise God.  How many on any given Catholic forum?  Again, only a few.  Unfortunately, they also tend to be the loudest and/or most verbose, thus creating for themselves a higher, much more visible profile thereby giving more (unwarranted) "weight" to what they have to say.  Now, how many Catholic and Orthodox Christians are there in the world?  Well over 1 billion!  And how many of those participate either here or on the most visited Catholic forums?  I've really no idea, but would venture to say a few hundred.  A thousand or so, maybe?  In any event, a statistically totally insignificant number.  So, for one to judge either Orthodoxy or Catholicism by what's said on these fora would be totally unfair and pretty pathetic, actually.  Neither is as portrayed here or on other fora, in my experience.  In many instances, what passes for Orthodoxy or Catholicism here and on other boards doesn't even bear much resemblance at all to what they are in the "real" world. 

Agreed in spite of our differences, and especially during the Fast -- we should remember to be charitable to one another.  Not everyone is expected to get along,  I certainly don't get along with everyone on this board.  But we can remember to forgive, forget.. and pray that we all may come closer to Christ.

In Christ,
Andrew

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2011, 08:30:03 PM »

Thread locked pending moderator review
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: