OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 10:21:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Birthday Marines!  (Read 915 times) Average Rating: 0
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« on: November 10, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »

If I remember correctly, there's a few others on here.

Semper Fi

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:56:45 PM »

Happy birthday Marines, and happy Veterans Day everyone too.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 01:51:48 AM »

On this day in 1775, the United States Marine Corps was born.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/birth-of-the-us-marine-corps

Today on Marine Corps bases around the world, U.S. Marines and their families will gather together for dress blues/black tie banquets to celebrate this grand event. Included in this is one of my favorite traditions. The oldest Marine present at the birthday ball will cut the cake and pass the first slice on to the youngest Marine present as a way of symbolizing the passing on of Marine Corps traditions from one generation of Marines to the next.

A video of the Marine Corps Birthday Ball opening ceremony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85M5htsEXA

SEMPER FI!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:00:39 AM »

Happy birthday, defenders of the American Republic.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »

Yep, our resident Jarhead (Corpsman, actually) might be taking the afternoon off for Veterans Day.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:29:37 AM »

Yep, our resident Jarhead (Corpsman, actually) might be taking the afternoon off for Veterans Day.
Oh, a doc, eh? You put us back together after we get blown apart? Wink
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »

Here's something appropriate.   Smiley

http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »

You mean resident sailor.  Marines don't have corpsmen or medic, the Navy furnishes those along with with big gray things that move Marines around.  Of course, once they get there, the Seabees have to land first and build the stuff so the marines can 'land.'  As you can tell, I was a Bluejacket.

Happy Birthday USMC! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ3GRgXzuvA&feature=fvst

Oh, a doc, eh? You put us back together after we get blown apart? Wink

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:33:41 PM »

You mean resident sailor.
No, I mean a doc. Wink Back when I served in the Corps, we affectionately called any Navy corpsman attached to our unit "Doc". He may have thought himself a Marine, but we knew better. laugh
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 11:54:15 PM »

No, I mean a doc. Wink Back when I served in the Corps, we affectionately called any Navy corpsman attached to our unit "Doc". He may have thought himself a Marine, but we knew better. laugh

From what I can tell, he got pretty good at fixing foot problems and venereal disease....as well as cleaning up after IEDs.   Embarrassed
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 02:03:41 AM »

From what I can tell, he got pretty good at fixing foot problems and venereal disease....as well as cleaning up after IEDs.   Embarrassed
Unfortunately, Marines tend to be pretty good at picking up those nasty STD's. Tongue
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »

You mean resident sailor.  Marines don't have corpsmen or medic, the Navy furnishes those

Yeah, Marines have Docs. They're not Marines, but we love them, and while their name tapes do say "US NAVY", they're a step up from that. Anyway, I've met corpsmen that were pretty hardcore, I remember hearing a corpsmen with a high and tight once tell a marine that he looked like a (politically incorrect derogatory nickname for sailors) because he walked out of the barber shop with a low reg hair cut (it was one of those that were "regulation" but didn't remotely look like what a Marine should have).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:16:23 AM by Melodist » Logged

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »

When I first got stuck with shore patrol when the fleet came in, our chief warned us that the number #1 cause for Marine fights was not over girls or spilled drinks, but because someone 'touched' the 'doc.'  Marines are very protective of their 'docs,' and one finger laid on him meant you had to take on the whole company.

Had some fun back then, but dragging guys back to the liberty bus was not one of them...  Cheesy

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »

You mean resident sailor.  Marines don't have corpsmen or medic, the Navy furnishes those

Yeah, Marines have Docs. They're not Marines, but we love them, and while their name tapes do say "US NAVY", they're a step up from that. Anyway, I've met corpsmen that were pretty hardcore, I remember hearing a corpsmen with a high and tight once tell a marine that he looked like a (politically incorrect derogatory nickname for sailors) because he walked out of the barber shop with a low reg hair cut (it was one of those that were "regulation" but didn't remotely look like what a Marine should have).

Do you know the whys of that practice? The Marines not having medics "within their own branch" or however you would say it?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 02:09:25 PM »

The painful truth: it's because the Marines are a branch of the Navy... sorry, Devil-dogs!  On a ship, Marines act under the command of the Captain, and the Marine combat activities are supervised bythe Fleet Admiral.

Do you know the whys of that practice? The Marines not having medics "within their own branch" or however you would say it?

Melodist
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »

Not sure exactly why. We don't have a medical field or a religious field (we get our chaplains from the Navy too). I think it might have something to do with the fact that those two fields are supposed to be explicitly non-combative in nature.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »

Not sure exactly why. We don't have a medical field or a religious field (we get our chaplains from the Navy too). I think it might have something to do with the fact that those two fields are supposed to be explicitly non-combative in nature.
I think FatherGiryus's explanation states the reason best.
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »

The painful truth: it's because the Marines are a branch of the Navy... sorry, Devil-dogs!  On a ship, Marines act under the command of the Captain, and the Marine combat activities are supervised bythe Fleet Admiral.

The Commandant answers to the Secretary of the Navy, who is a civilian.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »

As I'd heard it - the Marines are a Department of the Navy...the Men's Department.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »

As I'd heard it - the Marines are a Department of the Navy...the Men's Department.
Yup. I'd rather be called a Jarhead than a Squid any day of the week. laugh
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: