OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 09:44:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Head Covering  (Read 1738 times) Average Rating: 0
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »

Hey guys! So I've spent the past 3 days looking around trying to find a head covering for my girlfriend so that she wont have to use the dollies and handouts. I have looked at every bookstore online i can think of and regular store but cant find really anything. Originally i was hoping to get something really pretty and elegant but now im feeling I will be lucky to find anything that is white and has crosses on it. I was hoping for it to be a birthday/Christmas gift for her which is why i was looking for something really nice. Can i get any help from anyone on what the actual name of the head covering is or any links to stores that may sell them? Im about to just buy a plain white hijab though id rather have something with crosses on it lol
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:14:17 PM »

I did a quick google of "mantillas for mass" and could only find Catholic sites but they were still pretty ones. I have a friend who wears a permanent headcovering so i've bought a few as gifts for her.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »

I did a quick google of "mantillas for mass" and could only find Catholic sites but they were still pretty ones. I have a friend who wears a permanent headcovering so i've bought a few as gifts for her.
yeah ive seen those, however they are always floral, id like to get something with obvious meaning like crosses. I think they are supposed to have crosses on them if im not mistaken that was what one priest told me. Seems like anything i can find is very floral or spiral or any other pattern BUT crosses lol. Woe is me Tongue!
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:32:49 AM »

The closest i found to what you're after was butterflies on a white veil covering. Sorry, the ones i've bought have been from Jewish websites and you won't find crosses on those.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »

yeah it's just disappointing that something that is to aid orthodox women in piety is so hard to find within the church. however almost any orthodox bookstore will have coffee mugs etc. It's no wonder many in the church are no longer using coverings since there is not much importance being implied by the sheer lack of availability. :\ Oh well.... Thanks for your help ill just keep looking and pray someone on here has the answer to my prayer haha
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »

Every Coptic Orthodox Church I've seen has had a bookstore in it that sells head coverings, tonias, etc. as well as the obligatory Roman Catholic statues. Have you checked the Coptic Churches in your area? Even if they don't have any visible, try asking in case their in a cupboard, or need to be "ordered". Even when I've requested unusual items, the Uncle running our bookstore has usually just said "ok, I'll ask someone to bring it next time they go to Egypt".

I checked the online stores I know, and they don't list them (the online stores focus mainly on books). You might try emailing them though and seeing if they can get one for you:

http://www.agape-bookstore.com/
http://www.stantonybookstore.org
http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »

They don't have to have crosses on them. That's ridiculous, and that's why you haven't seen any.
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »

They don't have to have crosses on them. That's ridiculous, and that's why you haven't seen any.

Coptic women often wear white head coverings in Church that are decorated with either a cross or an icon of a saint on the back. It certainly isn't required, but perhaps that is what the OP is used to seeing, and just wants to go along with the norm. They are usually of pretty low quality, and clearly not hand-made, so it seems like a fairly recent fashion. My wife usually wears a more traditional one, it's actually a spanish-style one from halo-works, but it looks more like the older ones seen in the Coptic Church than the current trend.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »

Yes I have seen them at times but the notion that they are required or even the norm seems misplaced to me.
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »

Perhaps it is the norm in the parishes that the OP has witnessed. A little tacky in my opinion... but preferable to the new norm I'm seeing at the churches around here: going from a tenth of women not covering their heads to a tenth of women covering their heads over the span of 5 years.
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »

well i guess the floral ones will have to do then. Thanks Jonathan for the information about "Halo-Works" I like some of their veils. Which one does your wife have the large rectangle one? Thanks for everyone's help. And Alveus i know the don't HAVE to have crosses i would just have preferred that. Also btw I moved which is why i haven't been by St.Mary's in a while im now out in Pittsburgh as a train conductor!
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:57:47 PM »

Triangle from Spain and Smaller V Veil in white.
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 06:28:54 AM »

You could always purchase a plain one and learn to hand embroider. Now that would be a special gift your wife might appreciate.

Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 10:27:10 AM »

You could always purchase a plain one and learn to hand embroider. Now that would be a special gift your wife might appreciate.

HAHA i said i wanted it to be PRETTY :-p
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: