OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 04:40:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surrogate mothers  (Read 1060 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: November 09, 2011, 04:43:21 PM »

I was just watching a medical program feauturing a surrogate mother and I came to wonder, what does the Church say about this?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »

I was just watching a medical program feauturing a surrogate mother and I came to wonder, what does the Church say about this?

No.

Edit--At least, I hope it would. Most likely you will get a more wishy-washy/diplomatic answer. I've known Orthodox who have unfortunately utilized artificial means of conception. But there are so many bad moral decisions leading up to that occurrence. If conception cannot happen naturally, then, I think, a couple should adopt if they would like children. Just because one can do otherwise, does not mean that one should.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:54:09 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »

basically the answer is no.

here is a very balanced view of it from Fr. Stanley Harakas:

http://www.stnina.org/node/441

The introduction of third parties - sperm donors or surrogate mothers, whether they supply the ovum or not - violate the integrity of the union of body and soul of the married couple.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:13:54 PM by serb1389 » Logged

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »

I support the idea of surrogate, rather, adoptive mothers, for the snowflake babies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_babies
for the simple reason that otherwise they will die (of course, I would ban the processes that results in these "surplus embryos," but that is another matter). But rent-a-womb, no.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »

I support the idea of surrogate, rather, adoptive mothers, for the snowflake babies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_babies
for the simple reason that otherwise they will die (of course, I would ban the processes that results in these "surplus embryos," but that is another matter). But rent-a-womb, no.

Maybe i'm not understanding this correctly, but if you read further in the article, you see:

The resulting child is considered the child of the woman who carries it and gives birth, and not the child of the donor. This is the same principle as is followed in egg donation or sperm donation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryo_adoption

Obviously i'm speaking to embryo adoption, but in the snowflake babies article it said that they are the same thing. 

I just don't understand how the resulting child is considered of the woman to whom the embryo is given.  Wasn't the embryo inseminated already?  and isn't the womb of the mother just being used?  that would seem to me that she is bearing someone else' child.  Maybe i'm not understanding something here. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

I just don't understand how the resulting child is considered of the woman to whom the embryo is given.  Wasn't the embryo inseminated already?  and isn't the womb of the mother just being used?  that would seem to me that she is bearing someone else' child.  Maybe i'm not understanding something here. 

Father, not being American, I'm only guessing, but there are probably statutes which create certain "presumptions" of parenthood in law.

For instance, the legal father of a child is presumed to be the husband of the natural mother unless there is evidence to rebut the presumption.

In New South Wales, I think it used to be the case that the "surrogate" mother was presumed to be the legal mother of the child, but that probably changed with the recent amendments to the surrogacy laws. I know that in times past, it was necessary for the genetic parents (the sperm and egg donors) to actually adopt their own child once it was born from the surrogate.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:35:03 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: