OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 06:46:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fuss Over Icons  (Read 5466 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »

"Napkin" in this context simply means "cloth".

Is it the same case with Acts 19:11-12?

Yes.
Karaleighmum

Faith: Orthodox (catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Russian

I am a partaker of The Divine Nature.

« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

I once heard the common portrayal was a famous artist who painted his gay lover

The Face. The image we understand to be that of Christ likely has its deepest root in the image of the Holy Mandylion (Holy Napkin), and those of the Theotokos of those images by the hand of St. Luke.

This is going to sound very very ignorant so please pardon me, but the Holy Napkin...napkin as in like napkin to assist in tidy eating? Like to wipe your hands on?
And thank you so much, these images hold much much more meaning knowing this bit of history behind them.

so that image was originally depicted on a cloth?
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »

I once heard the common portrayal was a famous artist who painted his gay lover

The Face. The image we understand to be that of Christ likely has its deepest root in the image of the Holy Mandylion (Holy Napkin), and those of the Theotokos of those images by the hand of St. Luke.

This is going to sound very very ignorant so please pardon me, but the Holy Napkin...napkin as in like napkin to assist in tidy eating? Like to wipe your hands on?
And thank you so much, these images hold much much more meaning knowing this bit of history behind them.

so that image was originally depicted on a cloth?

Yes. Christ pressed the cloth to His face, and, in doing so, an image of His face was miraculously imprinted upon the cloth. It was the very first icon ever produced, and, because of its miraculous origin, is also known as the Icon Not Made By Hands, i.e. because it was not painted by an artist/iconographer.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: